Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
I realise I never posted this story on here... it seems appropriate given discussion on overhead lockers...

In early 2019 I experienced my only long haul economy flight of the year, the late evening LAX-LHR departure on the A380. We had a window pair in the upper deck mini cabin, 81J&K to be precise. With the majority of passengers boarded most people had settled into their seats and were quietly organising their belongings and playing with the IFE. Whilst trying to work out the best way to contort myself around the IFE box on the floor I couldn't help but notice the final passenger stroll into the cabin shortly after boarding was called complete. He'd obviously had a bit of a rush and looked a bit flustered but he'd made it.

Now at this stage I should point out there wasn't a lot of space remaining in the overheads seemingly due to a number of passengers pushing the limitations of carry on allowance, 80J&K deserve particular recognition in this area - in addition to their wheelie bags (which seemed larger than our checked baggage for 2 weeks), they had a selection of designer shopping bags following a spree in the terminal which wouldn't have looked out of place on a private jet. Anyway I digress.

And so back to the new arrival, I was curious which of the two empty seats he might occupy and where he'd find space for his bag. After a quick walk down to row 83 assessing the options he returned with his eyes set on the locker just in front of us and started to do some shuffling, at which point up steps the guy in 80G:

"You can't move my bag, there's delicate stuff in there you'll break it you shouldn't be touching it". At this point the new arrival calmly explained he was being careful, there were no other spaces and he needed to move the bag, but 80G wouldn't accept it, the exchange continued and voices progressively raised. Needless to say the mini cabin was now in silence, everyone had put down their headphones, stopped what they were doing and watched curious as to how it would resolve. I don't remember the exact exchange, but it became fairly heated as they went back and forth at each other before a crew member fortunately appeared and quickly calmed the situation offering an alternative location for the bags to the new arrival which seemed to please both parties.

With the cabin still stunned into silence 80G sat back down and the new arrival having sourced a solution to the luggage reached into his pocket to check his ticket. After a few seconds of hesitation and a large sigh he made his way back towards the front of the cabin at which point the tension and silence was soon broken by laughter across the cabin as he politely asked 80G if he could squeeze past and took his seat in 80F Perhaps even with the IFE boxes we weren't in the most uncomfortable seats!!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
I enjoy reading this thread, but wonder how people know, or remember, their seat assignments so vividly? Maybe it's a DYKWIS? Even when I was younger and would use buses and trains daily (Waterloo to either Guildford/Winchester/Southampton/Bournemouth/Dorchester). Although I would always sit in the front carriage as so many of my colleagues would do, getting off at our respective stops, I don't think we ever knew our seat number or carriage identifier.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
I enjoy reading this thread, but wonder how people know, or remember, their seat assignments so vividly?
I have learned that there are a lot of geeks on this site who record everything about their trips. Flight numbers, aircraft registrations, seat numbers etc. For the avoidance of doubt I am not one of them

From a practical standpoint I can tell you with some certainty that I would have been sat in 1C on 90+% of shorthaul flights in the last few years. That's because I always try to sit in the same place and park my car in the same area of the car park. As I get older, it's one thing less to remember.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
I have learned that there are a lot of geeks on this site who record everything about their trips. Flight numbers, aircraft registrations, seat numbers etc. For the avoidance of doubt I am not one of them

From a practical standpoint I can tell you with some certainty that I would have been sat in 1C on 90+% of shorthaul flights in the last few years. That's because I always try to sit in the same place and park my car in the same area of the car park. As I get older, it's one thing less to remember.
likewise i sit in 1D on the same percentage but even those flights i do not, i always check twice or thrice because i certainly do not want to be the a-hole to arrive at my seat and say "oh so you are xD??" or whatever the aisle seat im in regardless of class. i chose it for a reason as i feel most of us here do.
wrp96, davidcamp6 and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:17 pm

You spend too much time on a plane if when standing in front of a class you refer to the student having raised his hand as "student in 4D"...
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
You spend too much time on a plane if when standing in front of a class you refer to the student having raised his hand as "student in 4D"...
ORRR to they spend too much time here?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover
ORRR to they spend too much time here?
No, that makes you complain that there is no priority lane in the university cafeteria...
Old Jul 22, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I enjoy reading this thread, but wonder how people know, or remember, their seat assignments so vividly? Maybe it's a DYKWIS? Even when I was younger and would use buses and trains daily (Waterloo to either Guildford/Winchester/Southampton/Bournemouth/Dorchester). Although I would always sit in the front carriage as so many of my colleagues would do, getting off at our respective stops, I don't think we ever knew our seat number or carriage identifier.
Because I am a terribly boring creature of habit that flies the same A/C type, on the same route, over and over, and in the same seat. If that seat isn't available. I have one or two more that I will "accept."
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Because I am a terribly boring creature of habit that flies the same A/C type, on the same route, over and over, and in the same seat. If that seat isn't available. I have one or two more that I will "accept."
I would recommend seat 2A. It has a resident arachnid.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:09 pm

DYKWIS - some apps, eg. TripIt record it for posterity. As do email confirmations from some airlines, notably not BA though.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I remembered the details of the story I posted above because it happened recently... it was also a memorable story, in my mind, and the particular seat assignments in question (row 1 and J baggage space) played a huge role in the story, so it would be tough to forget in that situation, and I think most people post recent experiences here.

On virtually any memorable flight, though, even from a while ago, I'll generally remember the seat assignment. I do remember them for many not-so-memorable flights as well, because, as noted by others, routines and general interest in this subject make it easier to remember.
wrp96 and davidcamp6 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by golfmad
And actual departure/arrival times and exact flight routings. It's essential to know these things years later.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I enjoy reading this thread, but wonder how people know, or remember, their seat assignments so vividly? Maybe it's a DYKWIS?
In 2016 I booked a flight and there was someone in my seat. There's Someone In My Seat
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
I have a reverse DYKWIA story

Departing PMI last Friday (23rd)

Special assistance/families are called first. After that the staff call Group 1&2. My GF and I move forward to the scanning station, low and behold a snotty nosed lady barges in front of us and starts demanding why Priority boarding is in force and not back to front like at LHR for her outbound (the date she mentioned was before Freedom day)

She then started gesticulating and saying it is wrong and she should be boarding (evidently a low group in the rear of economy) the ground crew did a very polite job of saying it was correct.

She then finally moves out of our way and starts bad mouthing BA saying she is going to complain and that she deserves Avios compensation as they didn't follow "policy"

We had a great laugh at her expense, you couldn't make it up.

FYI - special assistance was half the plane anyway.....
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I’m in 2 minds about the return to regular priority boarding. I have enjoyed making my way leisurely to the gate, sitting down, and then joining the queue when there are 2 or 3 people left. Hearing “boarding complete” as soon as you step into row 1 is quite satisfying.

On the other hand, I do quite like having time to settle myself in and relax before pushback, which was accomplished by boarding first.

My absolute pet peeve is where there is only one boarding line, and if you miss the initial priority call you have to queue up with everyone else, rather than being able to take a priority lane short-cut to the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.