Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by GGL Flyer
My point re: the Windsor Suite comment was it was like telling me what I could have won on Bullseye! I'd rather not know :-)
If it’s of any consolation... if there’s someone that you should feel “pleased” to be bumped over, it’s someone that should have the Windsor Suite treatment! Imagine if the person had said, I really wanted to meet you but I needed to attend to “someone important” in Galleries Club...
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... I checked in at the First wing and one of the Concorde team came over to greet me. "Hello, Mr GGLFlyer, nice to see you again. Ms. XXXX did want to be here to say hello but she is too busy now with someone in the Windsor Suite. Was your check-in okay?"

At this point my mini 'polite' rant started:
I really wouldn't take this personally, it is likely Ms. XXXX put a note in your booking for her to be alerted when you arrived so she could say hello. When the agent who placed the note in the reservation is unavailable on your arrive it is not unusual for another member of the Concorde Team to do the greeting.

Don't worry, Ms. XXXX still loves you
GGL Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
When I used to "live" on aeroplanes, I found those personalised greetings at check in rather embarrassing. I would have preferred that they just didn't happen! Indeed, a friend of mine's boss, the Chair of a global mega-corp, had his Finance folk persuade BA to remove his Premier card. He was fed up with the attention!
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:07 am

Maybe I had a DYKWIA moment - or something along those lines.

I checked in at the First wing and one of the Concorde team came over to greet me. "Hello, Mr GGLFlyer, nice to see you again. Ms. XXXX did want to be here to say hello but she is too busy now with someone in the Windsor Suite. Was your check-in okay?"

At this point my mini 'polite' rant started:

a. Why does MAN not have priority check-in any more?
b. Why is the domestic T5 connections desk not manned, at least for arriving flights?
c. Why do the check-in agents need to see my Covid result when they also check it at the gate too?

Concorde Team response - "I'll look into all of your points."

I really hope that they do. Fixing point (a) alone would be a game-changer.

I was also a bit miffed to be told that someone was too busy to see me. Would have been better to say nothing, IMHO.

Anyway, worthy of DYKWIA or a justified complaint?
I'm not sure if you can DYKWIA-report yourself, but had I been in lounge, I would possibly have logged in to report you here. It would have depended on how polite the "polite" rant sounded to my subjective ear.
GGL Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
We do allow people to "dob themselves in" and grant a reduction on any sentence for giving an early guilty plea

Of course we also suspect it is occasionally done to head off a report by another FT'er when the self-reporter considers their position is open to challenge/ridicule.

But it keeps us in laughs
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Oh no!

A whole 4 week period without any Aviation DYKWIA!!!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Oh no!

I hope we could have a whole 4 week period, or longer, without someone using the phrase "data point."
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
I hope we could have a whole 4 week period, or longer, without someone using the phrase "data point."
My pet FT hate - not aimed at anyone in particular, it has fallen into common use here so we’re all to blame, but really can only imagine it started with someone wanting to make their personal anecdote sound more scientific!

To get on topic - I demand you all stop offending me with its use!
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Oh no!

I'm sure that this provides the opportunity for retrospective DYKWIAs that were missed previously. Come on folks, we can't have a 'dry spell' when we all need cheering up!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:01 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I can share this one from 2 weeks ago - a fairly minor infringement but it did make me and the OH giggle a bit.

Flying from MIA to LHR and arrived at the Admirals Club at D30. As well known, the Flagship Lounge is closed, hence no Flagship dining for First. We were prepared for that.
But not for the gentleman and his companion standing at the lounge entrance next to us.

The conversation went along the lines of -
"As you can see by my boarding pass, I am in First Class, I should have access to the Flagship Lounge"
"But sir, as you can see from the locked closed door, the Flagship Lounge is currently closed"
Undeterred, the passenger continued -
"But here, let me give you my Executive Club card, can't you see - it says I'm GOLD GUEST LIST (said very loudly for emphasis), Don't you people at American understand what that means?"
The patient agent explained again - "Sir - the Flagship lounge is still closed. You are welcome to use the Admirals club"

Much harrumphing and grabbing of boarding cards, and dragging embarrassed looking girlfriend into the lounge..... and much giggling from me and my OH at the next desk.

Last edited by Jet Ranger; Nov 6, 2020 at 5:02 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
What a .........!
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Probably a member here...
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by BLHD
Probably not a follower of this thread ....
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: ASLEF
Originally Posted by BLHD
Definitely a member of some kind
Old Nov 6, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
I'm not sure if you can DYKWIA-report yourself, but had I been in lounge, I would possibly have logged in to report you here. It would have depended on how polite the "polite" rant sounded to my subjective ear.
I'm always polite - it's in my nature and down to how I was brought up. :-)

But still subjective, so who knows!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.