Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Wow, attacking one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet out of rank envy. Begrudging a hard working person and their family their income, which has been substantially impacted, because you didn't think to do it first. The idiotic comparisons to Sam Chui are also pretty ridiculous, given just how different they are.

Oh, and the whole point of masks is for when we're within 6 feet of each other. Noel clearly follows the rules, and certainly the spirit of them.

It is really a pity that some people feel the need to tear someone else down. Of course, I'm not surprised BA staff and fans are doing so.

Oh, and Noel hasn't flown BA in nearly a year.

Classless

​​​
NoY, Lynyrd and rpjs like this.

Last edited by N1120A; Sep 28, 2020 at 1:31 am Reason: Added
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by N1120A
Wow, attacking one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet out of rank envy. Begrudging a hard working person and their family their income, which has been substantially impacted, because you didn't think to do it first. The idiotic comparisons to Sam Chui are also pretty ridiculous, given just how different they are.

Oh, and the whole point of masks is for when we're within 6 feet of each other. Noel clearly follows the rules, and certainly the spirit of them.

It is really a pity that some people feel the need to tear someone else down. Of course, I'm not surprised BA staff and fans are doing so.

Classless

​​​
Actually in some jurisdictions it is a legal requirement to wear face masks at all times when in airports and on aircraft.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
I googled Noel
oh my - what a [expletive deleted]

.... I hope he catches COVID.
A charming sentiment

.....I hope I never meet him in real life, let's just say that.
I'm sure that's a wish many reciprocate.

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
nice guy, yes. But should really be limiting his clearly non-essential travel right now, regardless of the destinations in my opinion.
Does this apply to those packing (e.g.) Sofia flights for mileage and TP runs ?
NoY, N1120A and Lynyrd like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Actually in some jurisdictions it is a legal requirement to wear face masks at all times when in airports and on aircraft.
Well, no, given that one can remove a mask to eat, drink and for various other reasons.
NoY likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:02 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I really have to pick you up on this. Masks are required when social distancing cannot be guaranteed, and this would certainly be in the case of busy public places such as airports. "Blogging" isn't something that would find a place on the list of exceptions when the mask may be removed anyway. He might think he's practising distancing but you never know what other people are going to do around you. To ignore this is irresponsible and not in the spirit of the rules, but so is the whole concept of travelling solely for blogging purposes and tier point runs for that matter anyway.

One of the few benefits of COVID-19 will be that there will be far fewer dollars available for narcissistic marketing purposes, and good riddance.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold

Classless

​​​
I am sorry, is this a paid post for Noel? are you his PR.

Let's break down your post.

"nicest person" - doesn't respect the rules, the law and others safety
"rank envy" nah I'm ok thanks.
"hard working" lots of people have lost their job to COVID. he's breaking the law out of choice - no excuse.
"didn't think to do it first" - not sure he is the first travel writer on Youtube, but again I am ok thanks
"6 feet of each other" well no, COVID can spread beyond 6 feet. especially in an airport when you are moving and its trailing. Also on a plane - you will be within 6 feet of someone. Not only that, its the LAW!!!
"follows the rules and spirit of them" - Clearly NOT....
"tear someone down" I don't care what he does as long as its legal (and responsible)

I don't work for BA. I clearly fly them.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Well, no, given that one can remove a mask to eat, drink and for various other reasons, but it was not.
Indeed, and if that was what the gentleman in question was doing there would have been no criticism on here in that respect.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Wow, attacking one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet out of rank envy. Begrudging a hard working person and their family their income, which has been substantially impacted, because you didn't think to do it first.​​​
I think someone who decides that the laws on self isolation don't apply to them seems to be a classic example of DYKWIA doesn't it? Or do some people get a free pass now?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Classless

​​​
Sorry Mrs Philips.

I've just done a search for him as I'd never heard of him (I'm not an avid blogger fan). He most recent blog headline is saying EK F class is a hotel room in the sky. Hmmmm..... as much as I like EK F, I'd be a bit cheesed off if I checked into a hotel and got a room that size.

I didn't go any further.
asnovici and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
I am sorry, is this a paid post for Noel? are you his PR.

Let's break down your post.

"nicest person" - doesn't respect the rules, the law and others safety
"rank envy" nah I'm ok thanks.
"hard working" lots of people have lost their job to COVID. he's breaking the law out of choice - no excuse.
"didn't think to do it first" - not sure he is the first travel writer on Youtube, but again I am ok thanks
"6 feet of each other" well no, COVID can spread beyond 6 feet. especially in an airport when you are moving and its trailing. Also on a plane - you will be within 6 feet of someone. Not only that, its the LAW!!!
"follows the rules and spirit of them" - Clearly NOT....
"tear someone down" I don't care what he does as long as its legal (and responsible)

I don't work for BA. I clearly fly them.
His arrogance is unreal. His travel clearly isn't essential and he's abusing the rules that we're all supposed to follow including talking/drooling with it on his chin when it's meant to be on.
He classes himself as a journalist, don't think Kate Adie has much to worry about someone reporting crumbs on PIA.
IJN Harekaze likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well, no, given that one can remove a mask to eat, drink and for various other reasons.
But he doesn't. He walks about airports, sits on the plane before take off with it off when sat next to others or waiting to board. It's contemptuous and against the law - even worse when speaking when droplets are transmitted. I'm not a huge fan of Paul Lucas but he can manage to speak over the footage afterwards.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
​​​​​

Respectfully, you're both missing the point.

Anyone who doesn't spend all their life reading FT like the small minority of people in this thread isn't going to know LHR is currently asking everyone to take their shoes off and so may well turn up in shoes without socks. This is exactly what happened to me the first time I flew after lockdown was lifted in the UK.

To be asked to walk barefoot through the F Wing is just not very premium and it's quite easy for BA to provide a cheap and efficient solution by providing little foot coverings if people request them (they cost, what, 2p per user who requests it?). For this solution not to be available in BA's flagship facility when said passengers may be paying BA £10k for an F ticket and getting very little else beyond a reasonably spacious seat onboard for that currently I view as poor.
You could use shower caps. Do they have shower caps in the F wing? Do they have showers in the F wing?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
You could use shower caps. Do they have shower caps in the F wing? Do they have showers in the F wing?
The First Wing is just a check-in and security area. There are shower facilities in the lounge complex however I've never been offered a shower cap (I don't have much need of a hairbrush either), YMMV.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The First Wing is just a check-in and security area. There are shower facilities in the lounge complex however I've never been offered a shower cap (I don't have much need of a hairbrush either), YMMV.
Could that be taken as a minor complaint that a duster is not offered as an alternative for the follically challenged?
James91 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:51 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I was certain we were talking about Josh Cahill at first. I would look in to this Noel Philips person, but based on the comments maybe I should stay away....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.