Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
There's a certain annoying travel blogger who has a t-shirt and facemask emblazoned with a cartoon caricature of his own face, who then spends half of the time lowering his mask to speak into the camera. Also didn't self-isolate after doing a whistlestop tour of Covid hotspots the other week, that wasn't BA though so I shall refrain from commenting further!
Oh yes I know who you mean!

People who lower their mask to talk, defeat the whole point of it! Talking expels droplets and is when a mask is needed most.
mrow, wrp96, u01sss3 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Oh yes I know who you mean!

People who lower their mask to talk, defeat the whole point of it! Talking expels droplets and is when a mask is needed most.
who is it?
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
who is it?
I know who you mean, I think he’s a member here too, does seem to be a genuinely nice guy on the videos though
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by aidy
I know who you mean, I think he’s a member here too, does seem to be a genuinely nice guy on the videos though
nice guy, yes. But should really be limiting his clearly non-essential travel right now, regardless of the destinations in my opinion. And definitely not showing a good example with mask removal for speaking as mentioned up-thread.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:27 am

If you can't bring yourselves to name the vlogger then please stop talking in your inner circle code and take your hearsay offline into private messaging. I find it incredibly rude, especially when others have already asked you to name them that you flatly ingore their requests and continue in what comes accross as 'I know but I'm not sharing' childish behaviour. If you think it'll be because you'll be slandering the vlogger (you've even said they weren't even flying BA and therefore are irrelevant to this thread in this instance) then perhaps you shouldn't be talking about them in this way in the first place.
lhrpete, the phoenix, NoY and 18 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC
The thread in general doesn't name people. I imagine it's Noel Phillips being referred to who, in my opinion, is being very irresponsible and selfish during this pandemic.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
If you can't bring yourselves to name the vlogger then please stop talking in your inner circle code and take your hearsay offline into private messaging. I find it incredibly rude, especially when others have already asked you to name them that you flatly ingore their requests and continue in what comes accross as 'I know but I'm not sharing' childish behaviour. If you think it'll be because you'll be slandering the vlogger (you've even said they weren't even flying BA and therefore are irrelevant to this thread in this instance) then perhaps you shouldn't be talking about them in this way in the first place.
Buckle up, here we go!As for not naming the individual, I think you’ll find this thread and those of previous years have a habit of not identifying people by name, though a few veiled hints and pointers may be given by either the OP or those following up.

There is no inner circle Illuminati conspiracy, it was my post followed by a handful of replies from people I don’t know and a request from one reply for an ID. My personal reason for not replying to that is that I have only just revisited this thread. It being my birthday today I really do have other things to do.

Opinions matter, I posted my opinion and others replied. It is your opinion that we are rude for colluding with our ‘inner circle code’ and childish for not letting others know what we know. If it was a rapper or actor who certain people could identify but others couldn’t, is that rude too? Or maybe just a difference of interests and exposure to their work?

This thread and those in previous years have a habit of not naming names even when it’s fairly obvious to some who is being referred to, and venturing a little off topic before the ship is steered back to centre.

I see a name has been mentioned, to paraphrase Francis Urquhart, he may very well think that, I couldn’t possibly comment.

^This is a quote from a 1990s political drama I have neglected to name, I apologise profusely if readers don’t get the reference. They could ask and wait a reasonable amount of time for a response, or could do some digging to try and work it out. See what I did there?

Of course, if I wanted to be deliberately rude and childish I would point out that this is an online forum and you need a thick skin, for Pete’s sake it’s the DYKWIA thread, and to stop getting your knickers in a twist.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by u01sss3
The thread in general doesn't name people. I imagine it's Noel Phillips being referred to who, in my opinion, is being very irresponsible and selfish during this pandemic.
Thanks for the plain talking - it makes a refreshing change of late. This thread generally references BA DYKWIA behaviour but I digress.... I really cannot stomach Noel's output and believe me I've tried to but he and his vlog contents just aren't for me - that's probably the nicest feedback that I can come up with. Nothing says DYKWIWTB (who I want to be) more than your own logoed face mask and t-shirt set. 🙄
u01sss3 likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 26, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:39 am

Buckle up, here we go!As for not naming the individual, I think you’ll find this thread and those of previous years have a habit of not identifying people by name, though a few veiled hints and pointers may be given by either the OP or those following up.
Sam Chui was well documented on last year's DYKWIA thread as generally being over entitled and as somewhat rude on one of the A350 flights to/from Madrid so while I think in general it's polite not to name names (nobody would know who you are for example), if you're putting a name, face and personality out on social media it's only fitting that you get scrutinized when your personal brand falls short of the persona you're portraying to your audience.

There is no inner circle Illuminati conspiracy, it was my post followed by a handful of replies from people I don’t know and a request from one reply for an ID. My personal reason for not replying to that is that I have only just revisited this thread. It being my birthday today I really do have other things to do.
Happy Birthday 🎈

Opinions matter, I posted my opinion and others replied. It is your opinion that we are rude for colluding with our ‘inner circle code’ and childish for not letting others know what we know. If it was a rapper or actor who certain people could identify but others couldn’t, is that rude too? Or maybe just a difference of interests and exposure to their work?
I'd say you were posting it in the wrong thread and it would be more appropriate in the famous people travelling on BA thread where apparently it's quite ok to identify rappers and actors so I fail to understand your point. If they are having a DYKWIA melt down it's not ok to identify them but if they're generally considered ok and not being offensive in anyway it is?

This thread and those in previous years have a habit of not naming names even when it’s fairly obvious to some who is being referred to, and venturing a little off topic before the ship is steered back to centre.

I see a name has been mentioned, to paraphrase Francis Urquhart, he may very well think that, I couldn’t possibly comment.

^This is a quote from a 1990s political drama I have neglected to name, I apologise profusely if readers don’t get the reference. They could ask and wait a reasonable amount of time for a response, or could do some digging to try and work it out. See what I did there?
No. You're clearly far too intellectual for the likes of me and managed to lose me at the talk of ship steering. It really doesn't matter though, there's really no need to explain it again as I definitely won't understand what you're on about.

Of course, if I wanted to be deliberately rude and childish I would point out that this is an online forum and you need a thick skin, for Pete’s sake it’s the DYKWIA thread, and to stop getting your knickers in a twist.
I couldn't agree more!
I hope there's jelly and ice-cream at your party 🍨
zanderblue and James91 like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 27, 2020 at 12:15 am
Old Sep 26, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by u01sss3
I googled Noel
oh my - what a [expletive deleted]

His smug contempt for the rules is disgusting. Zero responsibility or respect for fellow passengers and crew. Apparently his BS videos and his own personal YouTube channel are more important than reducing a global pandemic. I hope he catches COVID.

I hope I never meet him in real life, let's just say that.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 27, 2020 at 5:15 am Reason: To comply with FT profanity rules
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm not sure I follow the coyness in naming a self-publicist, but each to his own.
BlueThroughCrimp and James91 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:20 pm

I wondered if the name would come out eventually, I didn’t want to say it (to be polite) even though I wanted to write:
“I Noel who you’re talking about”

in general I like his content as he can be honest and quite funny and sometimes quite informative.

I think it must be hard if (and I’m guessing as to his situation here) if you earn a significant amount of your income on flight review vlogging and want to sustain that somehow to just stop it for what’ll likely be over a year or more.

However saying that, the mask drops walking through terminals etc. do really make me uncomfortable as it’s at least not the spirit of the rules and he is going to be higher risk than most given that amount of travelling he’s doing.

IMO, If he’s going to do this then he should try to keep to the rules in spirit and letter. I’m sure we’ll still be able to hear him through his mask.

But to wind this all back, I find both mask designs spoke about fairly funny. They’d put a smile on my face if I saw them going past as they’re pretty tongue in cheek
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BoeBus
The incursion was to have a face mask emblazoned with “Only Here for the Tier Points” - which I actually found mildly funny.
If BA doesn't up its game very soon I think there might be a market for "Only here for the Qualifying Flights" face coverings. That is certainly the only way in which BA features in my own future travel plans.
mrow, SFO777, krispy84 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:14 am

"Only here because Easyjet went bankrupt"
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Misco60
If BA doesn't up its game very soon I think there might be a market for "Only here for the Qualifying Flights" face coverings. .
They're very popular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.