Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TravelUp

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-credit-act this is also something I hadn't realised , you may not have s75 protection if you use an agency/third party. This is an issue I am facing on a flybe ticket currently with another OTA, they are saying they provided their service and the fact the actual service wasn't delivered isn't their problem. Luckily I have insurance to fall back on if HSBC doesn't reimburse.

I rarely used OTA unless it was a) offering a substantial saving and b) a simple ticket that I wasn't planning to change. But I have decided to only book direct going forward and to use an American Express to pay where possible as their service has been excellent throughout this turbulent time
Sadly I believe this is right - https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....es/2818/31.pdf

"Where customers use a credit card to buy airline or other travel tickets from a travel agent, they cannot normally claim against the travel agent if the airline delays or cancels the flight. This is because the travel agent contracted to supply the ticket, not the flight. So the customer would not have a claim under section 75 either. However, things are different if customers use a credit card to buy the travel agent’s own ‘package’ of travel arrangements. In such instances the agent is the supplier of the holiday package."

Travel insurance can help with unrecoverable costs but they will need evidence that your bank and TravelUp both are refusing to pay anything.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-credit-act this is also something I hadn't realised , you may not have s75 protection if you use an agency/third party. This is an issue I am facing on a flybe ticket currently with another OTA, they are saying they provided their service and the fact the actual service wasn't delivered isn't their problem. Luckily I have insurance to fall back on if HSBC doesn't reimburse.

Wow! Never knew that. Never using a OTA again even if they are cheaper.
T8191 and MiraculousM like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:44 pm

I rarely used OTA unless it was a) offering a substantial saving and b) a simple ticket that I wasn't planning to change. But I have decided to only book direct going forward and to use an American Express to pay where possible as their service has been excellent throughout this turbulent time
Apart from Chargeback/S75, consumers can also use CMA’s guidance for cancellations and refund https://www.gov.uk/government/public...on-and-refunds to defend themselves against fees and refunds, however this might ultimately lead to small claims court if Travelup doesn’t give in.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Update on my side - AmEx have closed the dispute and credited my account. I don't know if TravelUp tried to fight it or not - all wrapped up in under 3 weeks. Big thumbs up to AmEx.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I just highlight this survey by MoneySavingExpert: (MSE)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...urvey-results/

It gives a ranking of those companies with over 100 MSE members claiming refunds. Now I'm usually a bit cynical of self-selecting surveys but this one looks very much in line with the broad anecdotal evidence shown collectively in this forum. Namely BA Holidays near the top of the list, BA itself in the top half, some other European airlines in the middle and lower tiers, and towards the bottom on the table, TravelUp. What is interesting are those TAs which actually have a good result here. So Hays is a privately run North East of England firm that took over a lot of Thomas Cook's TA business. It's very old school. Trailfinders and eBookers did reasonably well too, with eBookers being essentially an online TA (and a subsidiary of Expedia).
Old May 18, 2020, 3:09 am

The survey certainly reflects my experience with TravelUp. I wont be using them again whatever the eventual end result of my current claim, about £1400 for cancelled BA flights (operated by Qatar).

On the other hand, I found ebookers excellent - I had a total of 6 sets of hotel bookings with them, all made on a non-refundable basis - they proactively sent me email links offering a full refund on each of these bookings with just two clicks of the mouse. All money received back on my credit card withing 7 days of my requests.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:12 am

Have you resolved your issue with Gotogate yet? What happened?
Old May 21, 2020, 8:46 am

Didn't hear back from HSBC yet but they haven't reverted the credit. Suspect their chargeback / S75 teams are swamped!
Old May 21, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Whyone
The survey certainly reflects my experience with TravelUp. I wont be using them again whatever the eventual end result of my current claim, about £1400 for cancelled BA flights (operated by Qatar).

On the other hand, I found ebookers excellent - I had a total of 6 sets of hotel bookings with them, all made on a non-refundable basis - they proactively sent me email links offering a full refund on each of these bookings with just two clicks of the mouse. All money received back on my credit card withing 7 days of my requests.
Are the hotels open or shut? If they are open, eBookers has probably just taken money from the hotel which it had no right to do so, under threat of delisting. Good luck to the hotel and its staff.

(Take a look at some hotel industry websites to see what is going on.)

You are meant to use your travel insurance in these scenarios.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Are the hotels open or shut? If they are open, eBookers has probably just taken money from the hotel which it had no right to do so, under threat of delisting. Good luck to the hotel and its staff.

(Take a look at some hotel industry websites to see what is going on.)

You are meant to use your travel insurance in these scenarios.
I had contacted the hotels in advance of ebookers sending links and all had confirmed they were closed for the period we were due to stay - Vietnam went into a hard lockdown very quickly indeed. Our hotel in Hanoi went to great lengths to explain why we should not attempt to visit.

I was just puzzling over where this left me WRT refunds given the non-refundable status of the bookings and had initiated a claim with my travel insurance when the refund links arrived from ebookers. Obviously I did not submit the insurance claim given this turn of events.

I don't feel I have done anything wrong - legally or morally - but I daresay you'll let me know if you feel otherwise.

Last edited by Whyone; May 21, 2020 at 3:14 pm
Old May 21, 2020, 2:56 pm

The challenge is most insurance policies want proof that you did cancel and you were refused a refund. So it isn't possible for us to make that decision if these agents have decided to refund us when we cancel.

I agree by the way- I had a couple of arrangements I needed to cancel in Bali and the vendors replied offering refunds or vouchers outside their policy. I replied back saying please reply again saying I can't have a refund, these guys are getting no govt support and even offering vouchers is just kicking the can down the road.
Old May 28, 2020, 4:59 am

Quick update from me - after just over 8 weeks from my initial request, I today received a re-payment onto my credit card for two cancelled BA flights booked through TravelUp.

The amount refunded was £266.61 short of the total paid (~£1600) as I had been told by TravelUp it would be.

I have now asked for a full breakdown of these costs. I was promised a 'invoice' for insurance purposes when I made my request for a refund, but have yet to see this.
Paren likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
They must be catching up as I received an email this morning:

We are sorry for this late response.

Your ticket status is exchanged by the airline. Have you made these changes with airline directly?

Sorry once again for this delay in response.

Thanks
David Raza

Bearing in mind that my saga started on 15th March (for my 31st March flights home from AKL via SIN, ZRH and ARN) and from that date until today there has been no communication from them at all apart from a generic response from emails so I had no option but to try and sort things out myself with LX and SQ. I have replied to the email to let them know why I dealt with the airline directly regarding the 5 times cancelled flights i.e. No Help Whatsoever From TravelUp because they were uncontactable from early March.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:45 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
AY have refused to touch my ticket as its with TravelUp - annoying.

I've emailed Travelup, but no communication so far.

Travelup

M
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:37 pm

Just wondering for those who have dealt with TravelUp:

My return flight has been zeroed out and is no longer for sale. How soon after this happened did you:
1 - receive a cancellation email from BA?
2 - receive a cancellation email from travelup?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.