Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:39 am

Still can't check in. Guess all I can do is head to the airport as planned and hope a nasty surprise isn't waiting for us...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Chances of extension to 2-4-1 if cancelled/refund?

Hello

Sorry if this duplicates anyone’s query as had a look and didn’t spot it.

I have a 241 booking on Sept 27th with a voucher that expires early Dec. It’s been planned a while and I won’t have opportunity (in terms of leave / weekends) to book another voucher flight in the time available before expiry, by the time cancellation confirmed (if confirmed), so the 2-4-1 will be essentially wasted and lost due to strike even though I’ll get the Avios (for 1) and charges back.

What are the chances they’d agree to some kind of voucher extension in this eventuality?

Last edited by GCab; Sep 11, 2019 at 3:22 am
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by GCab
Hello

Sorry if this duplicates anyone’s query as had a look and didn’t spot it.

I have a 241 booking on Sept 27th with a voucher that expires early Dec. It’s been planned a while and I won’t have opportunity (in terms of leave / weekends) to book another voucher flight in the time available before expiry, by the time cancellation confirmed (if confirmed), so the 2-4-1 will be essentially wasted and lost due to strike even though I’ll get the Avios (for 1) and charges back.

What are the chances they’d agree to some kind of voucher extension in this eventuality?
I'd say you're probably on solid ground here. If the voucher cannot physically be extended BA would be able to fix this for you by providing you the Avios to cover the second person rather than the voucher. I don't think it's an unreasonable request under the circumstances.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Having a BA Holidays package due to travel out on 20th and back overnight leaving on 27th, I understand the protection that is provided via "Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018", but this does not provide much information regarding any compensation if available over and above refunds and rights. Currently this holiday has not been canceled, but the return fight is shown as at risk.

My questions are;
1. Is the "Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018" in addition to EC261 or instead of.
2. If the holiday is canceled now and the money refunded by "Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018" can I claim anything else for not flying out on the 20th. (I am also aware of the BA offer to rebook at the same price with 365 days).
3. If the holiday is canceled on Friday (within 14 days of return) does that change things.
4. & if EC261 applies and the holiday is canceled can I claim for a flight that is still operating on the 20th but without me due to the cancelation of my booking.
5. & again if EC261 applies and the holiday is canceled after Friday can I claim for both flights?

Many thanks for any thoughts.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA Holiday leaving on 27 September so tested water this morning fo reroute, but after half an hour holding on Silver line was told to wait until cancellation e-mail arrives, probablyon Friday this week. Seems you can reroute on-line, even for holiday bookings. Anyone had experience of this for first set of strikes?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Akoz
My questions are;
1. Is the "Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018" in addition to EC261 or instead of.
2. If the holiday is canceled now and the money refunded by "Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018" can I claim anything else for not flying out on the 20th. (I am also aware of the BA offer to rebook at the same price with 365 days).
3. If the holiday is canceled on Friday (within 14 days of return) does that change things.
4. & if EC261 applies and the holiday is canceled can I claim for a flight that is still operating on the 20th but without me due to the cancelation of my booking.
5. & again if EC261 applies and the holiday is canceled after Friday can I claim for both flights?
1) It is in addition, but you can't double dip. The 2018 Regulation protects you for cancellations beyond those of the flights (i.e. the hotel mainly), and you get better rights in terms of protecting the quality of what you booked. But if you simply get delayed a bit due to the strike, then essentially EC261 applies in the usual way.
2) That sounds like double-dipping. EC261 doesn't apply if a package is cancelled and the 2018 regulations apply (EC261 article 3.6).
3) I am sure BA would cancel very shortly if necessary. In fact I suspect it will happen tomorrow. But yes, if 2 weeks notice is given BA then the EC261 would not normally apply. However since it is the return leg only it may be better to call BA to head off problems. That said, if you are returning to the UK from somewhere, you can see what happened in the last few days to see whether in fact your flight would operate, it depends on the route and so on.
4) That sounds like a another version of (2), personally I'd call up to shift to 26 or 28 or whatever is sensible for the route. I'm not sure you would want BA to cancel the whole vacation and then you would have to rebook and claim any reasonable difference.
5) Yes, if you get less than 2 weeks notice AND no timely replacement is offered. In reality this is probably overthinking it a bit, so best call up.
Akoz likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by neilee
Thanks I'll give them a call and see what they say...
Update (just for FYI): flight move successfully. Amex 241 voucher, 2 x club world seats Sept 27th (Fri) moved to Sept 24 (Tue), same schedule/route, free of charge. Thanks for your input guys!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:06 am

No drama, checked in just fine at the desk and flight is on time currently. Win.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by firstlight
Yesterday, I had an offer to change a BA flight from MCO-LGW Clubworld into Virgin Upper Class on the same route - not accepted yet.
And I phoned up on this today to get the change made and was told the flight mco to lgw on 26th was not cancelled yet therefore they would not book me on another carrier yet but would rebook on BA with a date/time change. Good to know that the flight is not cancelled, by my reckoning they only have just over one day before eu261 compensation kicks in for flights on 26th...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Deleted duplicate
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA
What is the best way to apply for a partial refund and ORC miles and points due to a downgrade from WTP on BA to Y on EI? Do I need to call, or is there an online form to fill in? When I rebooked over the phone the agent suggested I needed to fill out a complaint but that was a few weeks ago and I wanted to wait until after I'd flown before actioning anything.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:28 pm

Quick question. I won't bore with details of today's shenanigans with the Silver Line and then CS. But I am after the ORC for my cancelled BA flight which ended up on AA in a far lower fare bucket (both seats in Y). Told by CS that it may not be a valid claim if the cancellation happened more than two weeks before the flight - which of course it did. Now I am aware that this is the case for EC261 claims however I didn't think it was the case for ORC.

Before I ring back tomorrow, can someone please clarify the situation?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Quick question. I won't bore with details of today's shenanigans with the Silver Line and then CS. But I am after the ORC for my cancelled BA flight which ended up on AA in a far lower fare bucket (both seats in Y). Told by CS that it may not be a valid claim if the cancellation happened more than two weeks before the flight - which of course it did. Now I am aware that this is the case for EC261 claims however I didn't think it was the case for ORC.

Before I ring back tomorrow, can someone please clarify the situation?
I am fascinated to hear about this new two week criteria the agent has made up for ORC! Must be written in invisible ink

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions

14.6. Where a Member is involuntarily re-routed by British Airways onto another carrier, and the original flight on which the Member was booked would have qualified for Avios points, the Member may still claim such Avios points online at Ba.com. British Airways will endeavour to ensure the Member's account is credited with the appropriate Avios points however it may be necessary for details of the Member's itinerary, including the retained segment of the boarding pass and passenger receipts to be sent to the Member's Local Service Centre in order to claim any Avios points credit.
EDIflyer, expatboy, PAL62V and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
I am fascinated to hear about this new two week criteria the agent has made up for ORC! Must be written in invisible ink

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions
Precisely the sort of weaponry I need - thanks KARFA
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Perhaps. But I've been monitoring this situation, since I am scheduled to fly CPH > LHR on 28 Sept., the day after the strike. BA cancelled that flight for 11 Sept., the day after the 9/10 Sept. strike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.