Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I was due to fly 09Sep19 on BA249 LHR-GIG travelling on the £100 each way centenary offer fares from earlier in the year, upgraded to WT+ with upgrade voucher.

Informed of cancellation >2/52 out, so no EC261/04 except DOC (not applicable given travelling from home). Only option given fly out 07Sep19 on same flight, taking flight into previous year where already got an excess of TPs.

Sadly, this week I’ve been diagnosed with a life changing condition and my flights likely to reduce this year due to treatment. Therefore, do you collectively think it is worth asking for ORC- I.e. to credit the TPS (yes I’m aware it’s not many) into 2018/20 year?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by navylad
I was due to fly 09Sep19 on BA249 LHR-GIG travelling on the £100 each way centenary offer fares from earlier in the year, upgraded to WT+ with upgrade voucher.

Informed of cancellation >2/52 out, so no EC261/04 except DOC (not applicable given travelling from home). Only option given fly out 07Sep19 on same flight, taking flight into previous year where already got an excess of TPs.

Sadly, this week I’ve been diagnosed with a life changing condition and my flights likely to reduce this year due to treatment. Therefore, do you collectively think it is worth asking for ORC- I.e. to credit the TPS (yes I’m aware it’s not many) into 2018/20 year?
Good luck with the treatment navylad - before considering ORC might be worth checking if changes in rebooking policy means there’s now another airline option to travel on original date?
Tobias-UK and marcolau317 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by liamrugby
Has anyone managed to convince BA to re-book them to Virgin? My interpretation of the CAA guidance is passengers should be re-booked to the closest comparable flight regardless of airline, however BA are playing hardball on not having a deal with VS..
Yesterday, I had an offer to change a BA flight from MCO-LGW Clubworld into Virgin Upper Class on the same route - not accepted yet.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

Good luck with the treatment navylad - before considering ORC might be worth checking if changes in rebooking policy means there’s now another airline option to travel on original date?
thanks for the suggestion but it is the 7th and I’m already airside
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by liamrugby
Has anyone managed to convince BA to re-book them to Virgin? My interpretation of the CAA guidance is passengers should be re-booked to the closest comparable flight regardless of airline, however BA are playing hardball on not having a deal with VS..
i tried this and was told it was not possible, but we are travelling in J and there genuinely aren’t any J seats free on the virgin flight. Now I’m thinking whether a direct night flight home in PE of 8.5 hours would be better than a 3 segment trip in J on AA & IB. reward flight so whatever refund is due for the downgrade would be only in Avios.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

D’oh... My brain isn’t working!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

I would certainly ask for ORC for the date of the original flights. I suspect they may be kind in the circumstances.

I wish you well with your treatment and hope it achieves what you desire ^
navylad likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:49 am

Flying MAN-PHL on AA on tuesday instead of down to LHR and then onward with BA. As no BA flights will be operating from MAN will the BA lounge be open for the AA flight? If not, will it be likely to get a voucher or something for one of the third party lounges? Nothing mentioned re lounges in MMB or on the AA site. I don't have PP or Amex, but am Silver and travelling in J.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by endoman
Flying MAN-PHL on AA on tuesday instead of down to LHR and then onward with BA. As no BA flights will be operating from MAN will the BA lounge be open for the AA flight? If not, will it be likely to get a voucher or something for one of the third party lounges? Nothing mentioned re lounges in MMB or on the AA site. I don't have PP or Amex, but am Silver and travelling in J.
Yes, the MAN lounge will be opened although with reduced staff. I’m there now and just had that conversation with one of the team!
EDIflyer and tuonopepper like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Yes, the MAN lounge will be opened although with reduced staff. I’m there now and just had that conversation with one of the team!
Perfect thanks,
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
My q. may already be covered: apologies if so. Homebound Mon ET flight cancelled, but managed to move successfully to an LCY bound flight on Tues. Therefore one extra night abroad. No big problem, and no accommodation bill as we will be staying in our own apartment.

However, I am wondering whether BA will pick up the bill for dinner on Monday, and if so what the financial limit would be.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
However, I am wondering whether BA will pick up the bill for dinner on Monday, and if so what the financial limit would be.
Yes, I would expect they would, I don't think I've seen a recent guideline, but in the past they have sort-of suggested £25 per person. They have certainly paid more than this though. If you have a modest meal from a modest restaurant, and deduct any alcohol component, I imagine that would be OK. The more general advice in this area is that what would you do if there was no compensation? This works both ways, maybe you would n that situation keep your costs down, maybe you would splurge. If you took the latter option then they are unlikely to pick up the whole bill, whereas in the first situation they would be more likely to pick up the whole bill.
LTN Phobia and teledude like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Yes, one of the FAQ is, I will lose out on maintaining my status or reaching a new level and they will see you aren’t disadvantaged. I’ve sent you a PM.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Flight status: Sunday's Long Haul services to London (updated 10:35 BST today)

Only a very small number of overnight flights to London Heathrow will be departing today/this evening. The vast majority of which have been cancelled with aircraft probably remaining at outstations until after the strike has ended. Tonight's flight schedules to Gatwick are currently unaffected. Most of today's day flights from Asia are already in the air heading towards Heathrow.

Sunday's long haul departures to London Heathrow, currently operating
BOS-LHR: BA0238 and BA0202
EZE-LHR: BA0244
CPT-LHR: BA0058
CHS-LHR: BA0220
HKG-LHR: BA0032 and BA0028
JNB-LHR: BA0056 and BA0054
KUL-LHR: BA0034
LAX-LHR: BA0280
MIA-LHR: BA0206 and BA0208
PHL-LHR: BA0068
GRU-LHR: BA0246
SIN-LHR: BA0016 and BA0012
SIN-SYD: BA0015
TLV-LHR: BA0164

Sunday's long haul departures to London Gatwick, currently operating
ANU-LGW: BA2256
BDA-LGW: BA2232
BGI-LGW: BA2154
LAS-LGW: BA2276
LIM-LGW: BA2238
JFK-LGW: BA2272
MCO-LGW: BA2036 and BA2038
POS-UVF: BA2158
PLS-ANU: BA2256
PUJ-LGW: BA2204
UVF-LGW: BA2158
TPA-LGW: BA2166
YYZ-LGW: BA2270
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
One timy correction. Most Asian flights depart in the evening from Asia. For example BA32, 28, 16 and 12 won't depart before 2+ hours.
Note that BA16 is expected to operate on 9th evening (BA 12 cancelled) and BA12 is expected to operate on 11th eve (BA16 cancelled). THey will use the two birds levaning LHR on 8 and arriving SIN on 9.
For HKG, the two birds arriving on the 9th (depart 8) will stay there until the 11th.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 8, 2019 at 4:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.