Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by rapidex
Both GWR and LNER both award nectar points for a little double dip.
Only if the tickets are purchased directly through them or other retailers who issue Nectar points in response to purchases though, so no double dipping opportunity if BA are rebooking on behalf of the customer.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
There are 3 different EI tickets in economy, Advantage gives lounge access

It's GLA - DUB then DUB-LYS
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:13 am

Question Strike - Question about a "backup" flight in case of cancellation

Hi. I wasn't sure if this is the right forum to ask this question so let me know if I should delete and try in another.

SO, I am booked on a BA return flight from BUD to LHR on Sept 28, the day AFTER the proposed strike. This is part of a special trip, with an activity that night in London that I do NOT want to miss. I have not received any flight cancellation notice from BA via email ( or text or app) so far but there is a warning message on this return flight on the website that it COULD possibly be affected, but the flight is not cancelled. It will allow a free rebook but any rebook option will result in missing the special night in London. It does say one option is to do nothing. The first flight, from LHR to BUD on Sept 20, has no warning attached to it.

I found a flight on WIZZ from BUD that is the same approximate time and would get me into London in time for my event that night. So I booked it, knowing I might just lose the money but it's worth it as insurance. ( I think I am up to date on all the weird luggage and boarding etc that goes along with WIZZ so I am forewarned on that) I bought the most flexible choice with luggage and priority boarding and refund to my account for other flights (which i will probably never use but who knows)

So I am allowed to check in now for that WIZZ flight, but I have not done so. I do have a seat assignment. My question is concerning this. Is there any problem I would encounter if I possess two reservations for the same approximate time on two different airlines? Is there a problem to check in to both flights? I guess I am concerned that if I check in to the WIZZ flight now, which is being offered to me, then if my BA is NOT AFFECTED and not cancelled, then when I go to check-in on BA at the time I am allowed to ( I think its 48 hrs in advance but not sure maybe 24) , will there be some problem because I am already checked in on another airline for that same time slot?

I am flying on a US passport, if that matters for any reason.

Thanks in advance for any information/advice.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum akandrews, I hope we will see more of you here in the future.

From all we know, including what happened at the last strike, your service on 28 September will operate. The only flight BA are cancelling that day from BUD is the late service BA869 departing 19:10, and that's due to the way that is operated as a night-stop return service for the crew that would have flown in on the strike day. If something did happen BA would just rebook you onto another airline, though there may be a change of route involved, since the unfortunate demise of Malév. Or you could travel on the two other BA services on 28 September other than BA869.

W!zz uses a totally different system, the two airlines don't talk to each other and W!zz isn't a member of IATA. So consequently there is no problem with checking in at any point, and / or for checking at with BA at T-24 hours. You could show up a BUD airport with both boarding passes if you wanted and just travel on the one with the shiniest fuselage if you want. In the case of BA if you ended up going with W!zz then you best let them know at the gate, just in case there is a standby passenger very keen to have your seat, in the case of W!zz they probably wouldn't care in the slightest whether you turned up or not.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
What does “trade rebookings not permitted” mean for LH/LX? Does this mean it’s case by case rather than blanker ok?
This just means the TA cannot re issue the tickets themselves on to LH of LX but they can call their BA support line who will do it for them.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:29 pm

Has anybody else cancelled their flights and put in for a refund? I did and it all seems somewhat anticlimactic. I got a confirmation page (which I screengrabbed) but no confirmation email and my booking still appears live on ba.com.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was on one of the few flights from NYC on the 27th that still appears to be operating, but preferred that I fly out of Philly on AA just to minimize disruption for what will be an insane family weekend trip to London (returning on 30th). Because my flight shows "potential disruption" the website says I am entitled to cancel and understand that I will receive full refund after several weeks.

However, confused as to why BA hasnt communicated or done anything with my booking since I clicked cancel last Friday. Any insights before I get on the phone to BA?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by calebu2
Has anybody else cancelled their flights and put in for a refund? I did and it all seems somewhat anticlimactic. I got a confirmation page (which I screengrabbed) but no confirmation email and my booking still appears live on ba.com.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was on one of the few flights from NYC on the 27th that still appears to be operating, but preferred that I fly out of Philly on AA just to minimize disruption for what will be an insane family weekend trip to London (returning on 30th). Because my flight shows "potential disruption" the website says I am entitled to cancel and understand that I will receive full refund after several weeks.

However, confused as to why BA hasnt communicated or done anything with my booking since I clicked cancel last Friday. Any insights before I get on the phone to BA?
In that case, I’d suggest you call BA directly. The system may actually not receive your request of refund. Refund via hotline should be processed very quickly if not almost instant.

Alternatively, you may ask if they are willing to change you to the Philly flight instead of having to cancel the ticket. It’s not in the rebooking guidelines but worth a shot.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:55 pm

Any insights before I get on the phone to BA?
Sorry, my paranoia got the better of me, so I called rather than wait.

I am glad I called. Turns out that filling out the form online to say "cancel booking" does not do anything. Or if it does, the process is entirely manual.

Phone agent was able to process the refund. Now my booking page shows "we are currently processing a cancellation and refund..."

I would have hated for BA to miss out on the opportunity to make $2318x4 on the outbound leg to LHR by holding onto my $420x4 tickets.

Hint: if anyone needs to rebook on a valid flight from EWR on the 27th, there are now four seats close together at the front of the plane for you! Bite quick before they go!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al

I see you have sorted the problem now but posts 1384 & 1400 would have helped. It does seem like there is a problem with the online refund option which is best avoided by calling. I can see problems arising for those who don't.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:33 am

I notice that Air France KLM hasn't joined the list of agreed rebooking carriers this time around, which seems to be a significant omission.
nufnuf77 and marcolau317 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Should i stay or should I go?

I'm looking to return to the UK from AGP Friday 27th September on the 01:20 into LGW. Assuming this flight would have left LGW on the Thursday evening to get to AGP should I assume the return flight will go ahead as more than likely the crew will want to get home despite the day being Friday? Or would they just cancel the outbound flight?

Thanks
ML
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
I'm looking to return to the UK from AGP Friday 27th September on the 01:20 into LGW. Assuming this flight would have left LGW on the Thursday evening to get to AGP should I assume the return flight will go ahead as more than likely the crew will want to get home despite the day being Friday? Or would they just cancel the outbound flight?

Thanks
ML
I'm going to suggest that this is merged with this thread:

That flight has not been cancelled and has not been zeroed out either. I would therefore expect it to operate as normal.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Either the rotation won't operate at all or it will operate out and back. BA flight crew won't fly out and then go on strike in AGP.

All the cancellations should be in now so if it is showing as operating I would take that as the intended plan.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Golfmad, Karfa. Thanks both for the advice. Based on your advice I've booked my flight.

ML
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have a return flight on 26th which is marked as at risk of disruption on MMB. Rather than take that risk and be stranded mid trip in London we decided to call up and move it out by a few days.
I got through to Silver line within 2 minutes and agent said we can make changes but it would be charged as per booking t&c’s! I queried it with him and he insisted that flight was due to operate, so no free change.
I had seen earlier details on trade support page and was able to bring it up online as we talked and I quoted the appropriate details to him.
Initially he said it was out of date, but I explained it was the latest issue. He then went off to talk to a supervisor and came back a few minutes later and agreed with me that I could make the change. Which he then made without any further issues.
I guess the message to anyone else planning changes is to be prepared to challenge any incorrect advice from agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.