Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by calebu2
BA0188 EWR-LHR on the 27th appears to still be operating, even though it was cancelled on the 9th. Any thoughts on whether this will get cancelled but hasn't yet?

Reason I ask is this: I live closer to PHL but picked EWR because the flights were cheaper at the time of booking. BA won't reroute me on AA without the flight being cancelled and I'm worried that I'm the last one cancelled.

For BA, moving me would probably be an optimal move, even if the flight does operate, because they have limited seating from NYC-LON (To the point where WT is 2800 per seat on the flight I have). Meanwhile PHL-LHR is significantly cheaper (though still more than I paid for EWR-LHR). Is there anything I can say to them that would have them reroute me before the flight is cancelled?

My worry is that by the time they decide to cancel the flight, there is no availability on the east coast. I'm doing LHR for the weekend (leaving night of 27th, returning night of 30th) and don't have much flexibility to go earlier or later.
They changed my flight from JFK to LHR to LGA-PHL-LHR on AA flights. Maybe try another representative to get your PHL flight.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
I have flights SEA-LHR-AMS on the 27th and EF shows both F0J0Y0, but MMB doesn't yet show them as canceled, they are red but not stricken and AA (who I booked with) shows them as still operating. How concerned should I be at this point, AA has offered to switch my flights to their metal SEA-DFW-AMS but the timing are not optimal for me so I'm taking a wait and see approach in case the first two days result in some negotiation but the 0ing of the flights has be nervous.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is no real reason to be nervous due to the zeroing of buckets, it's just to stop people accidentally buying a ticket unaware of the strike threat. At the moment all I would do is watch the DFW-AMS service to see if that starts to fill up, otherwise you are like to know if your flight would be cancelled around 10 September. Hopefully the dispute will be resolved before that point. Had the DFW service been useful to you then that would be a good reason to move.
Thanks! I did set an EF alert for J<7 but right now it looks pretty open but if that changes I'll jump on it otherwise I'll continue to sit tight and see if anything changes around the 10th.
So it doesn't look like things are going to settle by the 27th between BA and the pilots as I had hoped after the first two days of action. BA has canceled the earlier SEA-LHR flight (BA 52) but my flight, BA 48, did not get canceled but they have changed from before where it was F0J0Y0 to F9J9Y9 but all other buckets are 0'd looks like they'll sell a ticket but only at full-fare - am I correct to assume thats because if someone were to by those even with re-accommodation BA does pretty good since those fares are $$$$$? Even the LHR-AMS is J5Y9 (all else 0); the alternate option I have at a undesirable time has moved to J5 on the SEA-DFW but still J7 to AMS so I'm thinking its getting very close to decision time. As I understand it BA just cancelled everything the fist two days, thoughts on if they might be more surgical on this last day or should I jump on the AA re-route? - Thanks for any advice; while this is messing with my beer vacation in Munich I'm sure that for those who are based in LHR this is even a larger excrement show.

Last edited by ryan182; Sep 15, 2019 at 12:23 am
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC
So it doesn't look like things are going to settle by the 27th between BA and the pilots as I had hoped after the first two days of action. BA has canceled the earlier SEA-LHR flight (BA 52) but my flight, BA 48, did not get canceled but they have changed from before where it was F0J0Y0 to F9J9Y9 but all other buckets are 0'd looks like they'll sell a ticket but only at full-fare - am I correct to assume thats because if someone were to by those even with re-accommodation BA does pretty good since those fares are $$$$$? Even the LHR-AMS is J5Y9 (all else 0); the alternate option I have at a undesirable time has moved to J5 on the SEA-DFW but still J7 to AMS so I'm thinking its getting very close to decision time. As I understand it BA just cancelled everything the fist two days, thoughts on if they might be more surgical on this last day or should I jump on the AA re-route? - Thanks for any advice; while this is messing with my beer vacation in Munich I'm sure that for those who are based in LHR this is even a larger excrement show.
My guess is unlike the 1st round of strike (last for 2 days), BA could handle this round of 1-day strike a bit better by arranging some aircraft to stay for an extra night at the outstation (with crews as well), maintaining certain capacity towards LHR even on the strike day. This does also reduce some capacity on the 26th which led to some cancellations before the strike day as well, but at the same time help to solve the potential capacity issues at LHR.

LHR will also see limited BA flights still running on that day (not "all but 1" flights cancelled), which I guessed BA had seen some pilots did turn up to BA office during the 1st round of strike, and they believe the same case will happen on the 27th (they can then get assigned to those flights still scheduled to run).

Limiting availability to Full Fare only actually helps to ensure the majority of seats will be used to rebook passengers on cancelled flights (as that high fare will deter price-sensitive travellers), whilst maintaining as an option for last-minute ticket buyers (having the need to travel regardless of price). If your flight is still selling tickets this time, I will safely assume the flight will be running as scheduled.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by marcolau317
Limiting availability to Full Fare only actually helps to ensure the majority of seats will be used to rebook passengers on cancelled flights (as that high fare will deter price-sensitive travellers), whilst maintaining as an option for last-minute ticket buyers (having the need to travel regardless of price). If your flight is still selling tickets this time, I will safely assume the flight will be running as scheduled.
Moreover full fare buckets will be easier and cheaper for all concerned to transfer to other airlines, and maybe interline flexible too. If someone paid £328 for a return WT Basic flight to SEA, with a base fare of £62 and surcharges of £46, then even transferring one leg to Lufthansa is likely to result in a significant loss to BA.
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fr33b13
If there is a BA flight that is still bookable (e.g. I see it on ITA Matrix) does that mean it will not get canceled?

I see British Airways 172 is still bookable on 9/27. They currently put me on AA 100, but I'd rather leave later and arrive later if possible.
I would say that at this stage, below 2 weeks from departure, BA will be expecting to operate service which are open for sale plus those with zero buckets but not formally cancelled. So unless you have a red line going through MMB, then as things stand your service will operate. The key point here is that the fulcrum of the strike is departures from London on 27 September, bearing in mind that crews on longhaul have at least one night in their arrival location - pilots are not striking from out-stations. Obviously things could change or not work out at the last moment, but largely for the 2 day strike, whatever BA planned to operate or cancel did actually follow through in reality.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would say that at this stage, below 2 weeks from departure, BA will be expecting to operate service which are open for sale plus those with zero buckets but not formally cancelled. So unless you have a red line going through MMB, then as things stand your service will operate. The key point here is that the fulcrum of the strike is departures from London on 27 September, bearing in mind that crews on longhaul have at least one night in their arrival location - pilots are not striking from out-stations. Obviously things could change or not work out at the last moment, but largely for the 2 day strike, whatever BA planned to operate or cancel did actually follow through in reality.
Curiously, I have an LHR-BSL flight leaving on 27th (BA0752) which is still showing as live on app, and I’ve had no email. I’ve made backup plans (EZY, refundable) but haven’t yet phoned up to check it’s not just some kind of lag in comms. Given your point re strike fulcrum, CWS, is it plausible that European SH flights ex London will still be flying? I hope so!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GCab
Curiously, I have an LHR-BSL flight leaving on 27th (BA0752) which is still showing as live on app, and I’ve had no email. I’ve made backup plans (EZY, refundable) but haven’t yet phoned up to check it’s not just some kind of lag in comms. Given your point re strike fulcrum, CWS, is it plausible that European SH flights ex London will still be flying? I hope so!
I can see tickets are still selling for this flight (not other BSL flights though), at this stage you may assume this flight will be running.
Again, unlike the previous 2-day strike, BA seems to keep a small number of flights running on the 27th.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by marcolau317
I can see tickets are still selling for this flight (not other BSL flights though), at this stage you may assume this flight will be running.
Again, unlike the previous 2-day strike, BA seems to keep a small number of flights running on the 27th.
My suspicion is that they knew how many flight crew turned up for work last time (for whatever reason) so feel safe to run a few extra services on 27 September.
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks - will hang tight for now 🤞
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Any experience with “voluntary” downgrades due to strike cancellations? Not impacted (yet) but a BA F flight to HKG booked for October could be on a future strike date. Rebooking on CX would be the obvious approach, but staying in F would mean leaving several hours earlier vs. “downgrade” to similarly timed departure in J (is CX J really a downgrade vs BA F...)

It was a GUF1 upgrade on cash booking rather than a full cash booking so no obvious difference in fare for a refund
No experience yet, but will update when I hear back from BA ... My BA flight (booked CW w/cash then upgraded with a GUF1 voucher) on the 10th (CPH-LHR-PEK) was cancelled - I was offered a rebooking on the 11th on BA (retaining the "F" segment) but as I needed to be back by the 11th evening, I opted for a reroute on QR (AY also offered) - neither obviously with a F cabin. Combined with the loss in Avios earnings for the QR routing vs. the BA flights, it means that I in effect used my GUF1 voucher for a value of about 17000 Avios, which is pretty poor value in my book.
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Managed to transfer my Rome - Heathrow flight to an earlier flight in the day on the 27th - there are still two flights operating to Heathrow that day. My Heathrow - Newcastle flight was cancelled with no alternative so have been rebooked on an LNER train leaving from Kings Cross later that evening. Not quite sure how that will work but I’ve been given a ‘check in’ link and it is showing in my booking (although interestingly operated by First Great Western).

Will only be arriving in Newcastle a couple of hours after my original scheduled arrival time. Corresponded on Twitter and confirmed by phone today in an appointment call. The app has updated my booking appropriately. Not too bad all things considered.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Geordie_Flyer
Managed to transfer my Rome - Heathrow flight to an earlier flight in the day on the 27th - there are still two flights operating to Heathrow that day. My Heathrow - Newcastle flight was cancelled with no alternative so have been rebooked on an LNER train leaving from Kings Cross later that evening. Not quite sure how that will work but I’ve been given a ‘check in’ link and it is showing in my booking (although interestingly operated by First Great Western).

Will only be arriving in Newcastle a couple of hours after my original scheduled arrival time. Corresponded on Twitter and confirmed by phone today in an appointment call. The app has updated my booking appropriately. Not too bad all things considered.
The new Azimo trains are pretty comfortable. My Labrador is a big fan. Mind you, he will do anything for a free sausage.
PETER01 and Vegasbunny like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:53 am

Thank you.

I don't have British Airways 172 booked so I don't know what it looks like in MMB.

I'm currently on AA 100, but that gets me into London at 6AM. I would rather take BA 172 and get in at 9AM.

I guess if it's still available next week, then I'll see if they will switch me to that flight.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:00 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk rogue99. You submit your claims after travel via
ba.com/delay
Thanks so much!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: some
That looks ripe for a switch to Lufthansa (via MUC) in due course. I doubt that the dispute will go on for another month, and I doubt BA are focusing too much on 27 September. I'd assume the 28th is going to be OK anyway, so it could be a Swiss on 27 September, should they also be added to the list. Or departing ZRH on 26 September and staying one extra night in London. I'd leave it for a bit, there is no shortage of empty seats to KEF at that time of the year.
A quick update: when the cancellation came in on Thursday for our ZRH-LHR I called the Swiss number and requested support in German. Was on the line for Max 5mins and could easily rebook to ZRH-FRA-KEF on LX/LH. Not only will this save us from a short night at the T5 Hilton, but an Avios Ticket turned into a full C class M&M miles earning ticket. So far really happy with the outcome.

Many thanks CWS and everyone else for the advice.

PS: while I thought ZRH-PHL-DFE-KEF on AA in revenue business would have been a nice MR, my other half failed to see the brilliance in my plan ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.