Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Simon
So KL is not currently on the list of bookable airlines but "agreement is pending" -- and it was on the previous list. Anybody with any sense as to how quickly they are working to close these? I have to get back from PRG-YYZ and abhor the AC balloon seats so trying to avoid by going any other way. OK is also not on the list and a bunch of the allowable carriers (e.g. SN) have their flights ex-PRG operated by OK so I'm out of luck.
You may try LH, it’s on the approved list and really operated by LH
Not sure how fast will the list be growing further, only a few more were announced after the initial list was announced
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Phil754
I had a BA holiday booking BOS->LHR on the 28th cancelled (the day flight). 20 mins wait on silver line and managed to get rebooked onto AA BOS-JFK-LHR, still on day flights.
Only issue is I've been booked across to AA on a 'B' code which AA interpret as Basic economy, so I cant book a seat (and more crucially claim my free MCE seat). I phoned up and had no success with either BA or the clueless AA agent she transferred me to eventually. AA twitter no help either - any suggestions on how to resolve?
If you get the AA PNR you should be able to use the AA App or website to simply buy your seats. This may be visible in BA's MMB under Seating. If you get that for free on BA then you can think about charging that to BA in due course. I suspect MCE will be difficult or impossible. Ditto with checked luggage if applicable - pay the fee and reclaim if necessary. The rebooking conditions are that BA use the cheapest available bucket, which often means B on AA, whereas BA and other airlines simply use fare basis for HBO rather than a fare bucket.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rogue99
What instructions did you get for claiming the extra hotel night? My 9 p.m. LAX-LHR-Tel Aviv flight on 9/27 was cancelled and I rebooked on an earlier flight that same day. I'll get into Tel Aviv a night earlier than originally and need to find out how to submit the hotel expense to BA.
Welcome to Flyertalk rogue99. You submit your claims after travel via
ba.com/delay
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by marcolau317
You may try LH, it’s on the approved list and really operated by LH
Not sure how fast will the list be growing further, only a few more were announced after the initial list was announced
That was my first thought, but no J seats available after my meeting that get me home in time.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner

If anyone else is relying on having filled out the strike related 'request a full refund' form, you may want to chase it up. Once the outbound has gone, it may simply show you as a no-show and be a mess to sort out.
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Not unlike my situation posted above. All it would take is some form of cancellation email or online receipt of the request but neither is forthcoming at the moment. I think your advice to chase it up is well founded and I’ll be doing just that.
Having just taken FeedbirdNiner's advise to chase up my online form cancellation I too discovered that BA have no record of me doing so and my itinerary is still live. The agent has now done the necessary and I have received confirmation of that by email. I would strongly reiterate the advice not to rely on the online form link to request refund in MMB at the moment to avoid problems down the line.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Any experience with “voluntary” downgrades due to strike cancellations? Not impacted (yet) but a BA F flight to HKG booked for October could be on a future strike date. Rebooking on CX would be the obvious approach, but staying in F would mean leaving several hours earlier vs. “downgrade” to similarly timed departure in J (is CX J really a downgrade vs BA F...)

It was a GUF1 upgrade on cash booking rather than a full cash booking so no obvious difference in fare for a refund
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:32 am

Question Changing a rebooked 'other carrier' itinerary

Hi FT folks,

Wonder if anyone has experience of this, or can perhaps advise?

We're still considering options for rebooking after our redemption flights in First were cancelled. We're trying hard to rearrange everything to now go Monday 16th on LH or AF, as they offer a much better connection for us than BA after a previous extreme schedule change.

As Monday 16th is the last day to travel on 'other carriers', what we wondered is if we do rebook for this Monday and find by Sunday eve that we just can't rearrange everything in time, are we able to reschedule our new LH or AF itinerary to a later date? BA say that any changes after this rebooking would revert to being dependent on Avios availability, but we wondered if we could simply call LH or AF direct to reschedule?

Grateful for any advice on this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:34 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I'm due to return from JFK on 28 Sept. My flight (BA116) hasn't been cancelled but is still showing in red in MMB. At what point should I expect BA to make a decision on flights the day after the strike? I realise the challenge of crewing long-hauls, given that crews will be overnighting, but once BA has decided which flights on 26th/27th are operating/cancelled, surely they will know how many crew they will have at outstations (on extended stays due to the strike) ready to operate flights on 28th?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by djb25
Hi FT folks,

Wonder if anyone has experience of this, or can perhaps advise?

We're still considering options for rebooking after our redemption flights in First were cancelled. We're trying hard to rearrange everything to now go Monday 16th on LH or AF, as they offer a much better connection for us than BA after a previous extreme schedule change.

As Monday 16th is the last day to travel on 'other carriers', what we wondered is if we do rebook for this Monday and find by Sunday eve that we just can't rearrange everything in time, are we able to reschedule our new LH or AF itinerary to a later date? BA say that any changes after this rebooking would revert to being dependent on Avios availability, but we wondered if we could simply call LH or AF direct to reschedule?

Grateful for any advice on this.
Once you’re rebooked onto another carrier you should be bound by original ticket terms - eg refundable or non-refundable cancellations and changeable or not. So wouldn’t assume you can rebook and then change, but rebook and cancel should be ok - but would explicitly ask the agent that for the record
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by djb25
BA say that any changes after this rebooking would revert to being dependent on Avios availability, but we wondered if we could simply call LH or AF direct to reschedule?
The usual convention here is that if rebooked on to other airlines is that the source airline still owns the ticket. So AF or LH are likely to refer you to BA anyway. The exception would be day of travel changes, but even then AF or LH would have to be forced into that position rather than letting it be done by choice.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by gms
I'm due to return from JFK on 28 Sept. My flight (BA116) hasn't been cancelled but is still showing in red in MMB. At what point should I expect BA to make a decision on flights the day after the strike?
What happened with those with red banners for 11 September was that the banner stayed in place right up to travel itself. What also happened last time was that they took a view as to which services would be cancelled and made relatively few cancellations on 11 September, just a handful of short hauls. So in essence the decision is that the service will operate, and that crews will spend - like last time perhaps an extra day in New York. Moreover the aircraft departing LHR to JFK isn't affected by the strike - logistics wise - like the daytime flights would be. So I would assume it's going to go ahead, in any event after 14 days you would be in the frame for Article 7 compensation, so I can't see BA putting itself in that position in an unnecessary way.
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:36 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What happened with those with red banners for 11 September was that the banner stayed in place right up to travel itself. What also happened last time was that they took a view as to which services would be cancelled and made relatively few cancellations on 11 September, just a handful of short hauls. So in essence the decision is that the service will operate, and that crews will spend - like last time perhaps an extra day in New York. Moreover the aircraft departing LHR to JFK isn't affected by the strike - logistics wise - like the daytime flights would be. So I would assume it's going to go ahead, in any event after 14 days you would be in the frame for Article 7 compensation, so I can't see BA putting itself in that position in an unnecessary way.
^ Thanks for this feedback. I was figuring that after today it's going to cost BA a heck of a lot more to cancel the flight, so it's more than likely to go ahead. But it's still disconcerting seeing the flight in red every time I check MMB! Not that I'd object to an extra night in NYC, but if it turned into an extra 2 or 3 nights it might start to become a pain. But I'm sure there would be other indirect options available if the worst happened.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Quick data point - had extra day out on US West Coast due to strike. Flew home via JFK and put in claim for hotel / meal and taxi. Had a call from BA the following day confirming they would pay.

It was a bit of a zoo at JFK on the 10th but the staff were brilliant plus had double OpUp so happy happy
Wembleygal and marcolau317 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes. If you let the robots have a bit more time to think about it they may clean it up anyway. To be honest I don't think you need worry about an agent forcing you back on to the original booking since you can rightly point out that you have now made additional arrangements to stay in SEA. I would just focus on them deleting the GLA sector so you don't go down as a no show. There is another robotic that auto-cancels the no-shows, and it's quite possible that will be switched off during the strike period - it could easily make matters worse for contact centre staff.
Thanks c-w-s, I contacted BA by phone a few days before the flight and they agreed to take me off the superfluous LHR-GLA segment. All good now, back at home and the Virgin experience was quite positive.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by alexwuk
Are you sure BA won't reroute you on to AA? They have a revenue sharing arrangement on transatlantic flights so I would think they are agnostic on who you actually fly. Nonetheless, it looks like BA66 from Philly will operate on the 27th (they're still willing to sell tickets on it, which is the big giveaway) so I suggest you ask to be put on that flight if they won't offer you an AA Flight from PHL
If there is a BA flight that is still bookable (e.g. I see it on ITA Matrix) does that mean it will not get canceled?

I see British Airways 172 is still bookable on 9/27. They currently put me on AA 100, but I'd rather leave later and arrive later if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.