Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN

OK cheers. Thanks for the info. Will check seat map & take my chance on the A321. Maybe catch up on some sleep if so. Always enjoy CW & bouncing around airports/lounges anyway so all good ! 👍

​​​​​​I was on the A321 between PHL and PHX last week and, whilst there was no IFE, with your own iPad you can connect to AA GoGoEntertainment and stream AA entertainment inflight and watch films/TV on your iPad. Make sure you download the GoGoEntertainment app before you board.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by puqui99
Yes, great summary, @adamgilbride! I did the OTP (HEL) PHX recently. Staying the Otopeni Hotel by the airport (free transfers, £20, clean and basic.)
Staying at the Otopeni hotel as well for my run in August. Not expecting any frills, but that's okay - won't be there for long. Good to hear it's clean etc - sounds like it will suit me just fine.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
If arriving on evening flight anyone just hanging around OTP for the night until lounges open at 0600 ish ??
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
If arriving on evening flight anyone just hanging around OTP for the night until lounges open at 0600 ish ??
Thats a long wait 🤔
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That will be a long, miserable night, and the lounges aren't worth waiting for.

Book yourself.into the Vienna House hotel (also known as the Easy Airport, or Angelo), which is a ten-minute walk from the terminal entrance. I stayed there twice and it was perfectly good, with free WiFi and breakfast buffet from 5am. I paid €60.
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ive tried to input OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP into ITA matrix but it falls over straight away showing no flights found on any dates I try. I suspect it is because of the LHR HEL LHR legs. Is there something special I have to put into matrix for this to work?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Great summary, thanks adamgilbride!

So the routing you did was LHR-OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR, should have been OTP-LHR on the end? When you say about a LAX extension, do you mean PHX-LAX-JFK or PHX-LAX-PHX-JFK?

It looks like this year I'm already going to have 3,500 TPs, so I'm thinking of doing something to get me to GGL (mainly for the jokers, the Hilton Diamond status, and it's closer to GFL)
Hi Lucanesque. The tier point run I booked (thanks to this forum and particularly the members I mentioned) was OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP, but since I'm based in London, I ditched the last leg. The initial LHR to OTP was a positioning flight on a separate booking.

I think the times work such that you could do OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX-LAX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP for two extra legs. You'd arrive into PHX ate 23:00 and leave again at 06:00. I haven't confirmed this, but it might be possible.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Ive tried to input OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP into ITA matrix but it falls over straight away showing no flights found on any dates I try. I suspect it is because of the LHR HEL LHR legs. Is there something special I have to put into matrix for this to work?
@happeemonkee what dates are you looking for? If you can provide a screenshot, maybe we can help you :-)
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Hi happeemonkee.

Have a look at this post from KARFA which shows the fare rules (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29374650-post982.html) and this post from rossmacd which shows what to put in to ITA Matrix (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29240873-post36.html). Once I'd got the flight, I used the Powertools Google Chrome extension to link through to AA to book it.
rossmacd and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
AA A330 - looks awful.
Having taken it many times, I'd happily choose it over most other options. Can't comment on whether the bedding is better/worse than BA's new blanket but the seat is certainly more comfortable, the IFE is good and I personally prefer the food and drink.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by adamgilbride
Hi Lucanesque. The tier point run I booked (thanks to this forum and particularly the members I mentioned) was OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP, but since I'm based in London, I ditched the last leg. The initial LHR to OTP was a positioning flight on a separate booking.

I think the times work such that you could do OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX-LAX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP for two extra legs. You'd arrive into PHX ate 23:00 and leave again at 06:00. I haven't confirmed this, but it might be possible.
If doing the HEL legs then you cannot do the LAX sector as well. It's a case of one or the other. I understand that you can combine, so do HEL out and LAX back but not both on the same routing.

Although, strictly speaking, you may be able to do both, but this takes it outside of the permitted mileage and could significantly bump the fare up. If it was allowed (at a decent price!) then I can assure you that more people would be doing this option. You don't choose to do a TP run and go direct from JFK to PHX when you can go via LAX on the transcon.
deboyzoned and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by madfish
If doing the HEL legs then you cannot do the LAX sector as well. It's a case of one or the other. I understand that you can combine, so do HEL out and LAX back but not both on the same routing.

Although, strictly speaking, you may be able to do both, but this takes it outside of the permitted mileage and could significantly bump the fare up. If it was allowed (at a decent price!) then I can assure you that more people would be doing this option. You don't choose to do a TP run and go direct from JFK to PHX when you can go via LAX on the transcon.
Thanks for clearing that up, @madfish. You're right - I just put a LAX leg in (as well as the HEL legs) and it came in at over £7,000!

@happeemonkee I just put some dates in to ITA Matrix at the end of August for OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP and found a £1,512 fare.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

If routing OTP-LHR-PHL-PHX on BA how easy to know if it’s refurbed 744 on 25Aug ? I’m sure PHL has new trolley service & bedding ? Right ? Will not be taking the AA A330 - looks awful
BA has been operating refurbished 86J 747s consistently on the PHL route since the Summer 2018 schedule began last month. Also, the new catering service and bedding has been on the PHL since February.

Personally, I'd recommend the AA A330 only as an option of last resort
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by madfish

It has been known that if you book the HEL shuffle then JFK-PHX-JFK, then if (when!) you get an AA schedule change, you can (time/availability/agent willingness permitting) get JFK-LAX-PHX-LAX-JFK whilst maintaining in the HEL shuffle also

This is when it becomes exceedingly lucrative (not just from TPs, but seat comfort)....
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It has been known that if you book the HEL shuffle then JFK-PHX-JFK, then if (when!) you get an AA schedule change, you can (time/availability/agent willingness permitting) get JFK-LAX-PHX-LAX-JFK whilst maintaining in the HEL shuffle also

This is when it becomes exceedingly lucrative (not just from TPs, but seat comfort)....
That's as close to a one-way bet as you'll get in this life

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.