View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:43 pm
rossmacd
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I've had a number of PMs over the festive period regarding the OTP-PHX fare, and how to maximise the TP yield from this fare. I thought it would be wise to lay out the information here (and following on from KARFA's excellent post upthread) should anyone else be looking towards their own requalification for BA Gold in 2018.

A reminder that this fare is only available for the following dates:

PERMITTED 01JUL THROUGH 31AUG OR 22NOV THROUGH 29NOV OR
24DEC THROUGH 31DEC OR 24MAR THROUGH 08APR FOR EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
The total maximum TPs you can squeeze out of this fare is 1,040 for approximately 1,540 - or a respectable (1.48 per TP).

To achieve this, you will likely need about 4 days (minimum) to take the optimum routing (in my opinion), flying OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP. Of course, you may decide to drop the last LHR-OTP sector in order to save time/cost of positioning flights from wherever you are based, which would reduce the total TPs accrued by 80. Optimum routing would use the best aircraft/airline combinations for your respective sectors, and also having the opportunity to use the best lounges at your transfer points possible with the following factors (note, these are my opinions and you may agree/disagree with some or all of them):
  • Using AY A359 for LHR-HEL-LHR sectors where at all possible
  • If AY A359 not possible, use AY for shorthaul (I find this a better option than BA CE)
  • Use of CX F lounge in LHR T3
  • Use AA to cross the Atlantic from LHR-JFK (My opinion is that AA is better J product for a day flight - the seat and wifi are the main reasons)
  • Use of AA Flagship lounge in JFK T8
  • Use BA to cross the Atlantic from JFK-LHR (An 747 UD seat on BA is a better overnight option than AA, allowing for maximum sleep and literally only the bottle of water required from the service provided)
  • JFK is used as the entry/exit point to the US as it is an easy inter-terminal connection AA-AA on the outbound, and the use of the BA CCR for the return if you have the correct credentials to have access

I have provided the routing below, as a screenshot from ITA Matrix:

The best tool by far to search for this fare is ITA Matrix. The routing codes (I use) for this itinerary are as follows (text provided below):

Flight 1
Depart: OTP
Routing Codes: LHR
Extension Codes: ALLIANCE ONEWORLD
Destination: HEL
Date: 08/24/2018

Flight 2
Depart: HEL
Routing Codes: AY1331,BA6031 LHR JFK
Destination: PHX
Date: 08/25/2018

Flight 3
Depart: PHX
Routing Codes: JFK LHR AY1332,BA6032
Destination: HEL
Date: 08/26/2018

Flight 4
Depart: HEL
Routing Codes: AY1337 LHR
Destination: OTP
Date: 08/27/2018

Cabin: Business class or higher
Stops: No limit
Extra stops: Up to 1 extra stop
Currency: GBP
There are a host of other options/routings/flights/dates that you can play with, should something else fit your needs better than my suggestions above.

Booking is best to use Powertools to click-through to AA.com (plenty of information in post 4 of this thread), or you can use www.bookwithmatrix.com, but I only have limited success with an itinerary as complicated as this. You can book with BA on a 125- ticket should you wish, but AA are just so much more flexible/accessible when it comes to the inevitable schedule changes.

Enjoy

Last edited by rossmacd; Jan 2, 18 at 12:51 pm