Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by highexpectations
What they should be doing instead of standing waiting is to start making announcements about how they’ll be boarding the aircraft, filling up the general boarding line from the back row of the aircraft to the front of the aircraft and going down the priority line ensuring those who are eligible to board first are actually standing at the front of the priority line. It really is not rocket science and they do waste a heck of a lot of time standing there doing absolutely nothing
Even AZ does this in Madrid!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The so-called WILMA method is supposedly the only method that can board an aircraft faster than totally random (and random is faster than Groups but that's for another day's discussion). However it is impractical since few couples are prepared to be split up, with one spouse/partner going on perhaps well before the other.
Couples could still go on together (1 window, 1 middle etc) and would both be able to take there seats without disturbing someone already seated.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by nallison
I really wish a airline would do this. I really don't understand why no-one has, it can still use group numbers so is perfectly straightforward for passengers. Obviously passengers sat next to each other would have to be allowed to board together and be placed in the same group or it would never be accepted, but as they wouldn't need to get past each other that shouldn't significantly slow it down.

The elephant in the room is of course, do too many people get priority boarding for any efficient process to work? And when so many people have it, is it even priority, or just a fig leaf airlines throw to make people feel special? Would it not be better to limit it to fewer people and make the whole process more efficient?
Lufthansa did this about ten years ago and dropped it because people didn't comply and it caused more problems than it solved. I agree though if it works it's excellent but if Germans don't comply with orderly boarding what hope is there?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Isn't enforcement more important than system? The reason BA struggle is they don't enforce in a consistent manner. Ryanair's (previous?) very tough line deterred most chancers. Until BA enforce the stated policy, they'll always be problems. The Gold, wait 3 seconds, Silver and Bronze PA call, the ridiculous number and size of some bags that are boarded, it all contributes to failure.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the test I watched (some years ago) as soon as you allow couples to board together you lose the advantage over totally random. Typically one person sits down quickly but the second person will then block the aisle flapping around.
Interesting, I wonder why that is? Although that is still better than the current group method it apppears, and the semblance of order it gives at the gate would mean people would likely prefer it to random which is the other 'best'.

It can't be rocket science for airlines to come up with an easy way for people to follow the group system. Colour coding?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Lufthansa did this about ten years ago and dropped it because people didn't comply and it caused more problems than it solved. I agree though if it works it's excellent but if Germans don't comply with orderly boarding what hope is there?
LOL, German people (and I say this with great affection) don't really do queues The German character definitely has more than a dash of "Devil take the hindmost"
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flight from CDG -> LHR ... chaos - CE Gold Silver Bronze all called together so mobbed and then watched one pax stroll onto the plane with one pullalong, one gladstone bag, two large shopping bags - think suit carrier size - and a ‘man purse’ at least A4 size - so - no enforcement of boarding sequence and no enforcement of baggage policy by gate agents. While I appreciate the thought on group boarding, I echo others sentiments. Its not the policy, simply enforcement ...
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
So, we have:
- poor enforcement of boarding sequence
- poor enforcement of cabin baggage
- increasing cabin baggage being brought
- hbo fares adding pressure
- human factors of boarding, personal space, inobservancy, unexpected conflict
- airline loyalty threshold lowering = wider catchment of “priority”

Pax concern:
- board with cabin baggage stowed above seat

Gate staff concern:
- board quickly and on-time

problems with current boarding:
- slow, inefficient
- poor queueing/priority administration/pax perception and experience
- inadequate space for some bags

solution:
board efficiently, enforcing all current rules, whilst incorporating airline-mandated priority illusion but without affecting other pax perception of value and experience.

Some outstations seem to be calling everyone at once, which gets things moving quickly, but fails the pax experience.

The planned group calling boarding of this thread seemingly improves pax experience, but I secretly believe it will slow down boarding.

..This conflict between experience and speed may need a more sophisticated solution.

but whatever that solution is, it MUST be:
transparent, enforced without exception at every location, subject to audit, and yet somehow incorporate the flexibility necessary when dealing with human factors in an environment where the unexpected happens more often than would be expected.

Tricky?

Impossible?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by McCoy
transparent, enforced without exception at every location, subject to audit, and yet somehow incorporate the flexibility necessary when dealing with human factors in an environment where the unexpected happens more often than would be expected.

Tricky?

Impossible?
So enforced without exception and flexibility required? At the same time? That makes zero sense. Rules with no exceptions, except for the exceptions of course.

No wonder they struggle to enforce rules...
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
precisely
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA VS
I agree with the problem of one of a couple taking the job of placing bags overhead, whilst other sits down and have done this often myself. The key, if I may say, is to keep aware of the folks coming down the aisle behind you. If more pax, then [if available] step into the aisle seat area and wait. Once there is a gap, step back into the aisle and slot remaing bag/s into place and then promptly sit down. Mostly, I see folks, packing the locker slowly, carefully and checking with partner that nothing else has to go up - checking space in neighbouring lockers and greatly extending their time in the aisle.

Which is why, when there is no jetway, it is so much better to walk (briskly) to the rear entrance!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:20 am

It can be done - 4x LH/LX sectors yesterday where priority boarding was ruthlessly enforced by the gate agent(s) at the respective airports. BA just need to police it properly. All flights left bang on-time (one was even 3 minutes early), so enforcing the rules does not mean that boarding takes longer. Granted, BA have more pax eligible for priority boarding than LH/LX so that does make it quicker.

I was impressed.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by McCoy

Some outstations seem to be calling everyone at once, which gets things moving quickly, but fails the pax experience.

The planned group calling boarding of this thread seemingly improves pax experience, but I secretly believe it will slow down boarding.

..This conflict between experience and speed may need a more sophisticated solution.

Tricky?

Impossible?
Unfortunately not just outstations. Happens at LHR too, just the other day LHR-CDG boarding announcement: 'All passengers with priority, so CE, Gold, Silver, Bronze are now invited to board through the priority lane at their leisure' ..... Really??? But I agree it is just all about enforcement otherwise this new boarding system is doomed as well.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
The outstations is where the priority stuff becomes irrelevant. Hannover, for instance, tiny little gate area where the people are all the way up the corridor to the gate. Gate staff turns up 20 minutes after the departure time. Strangely just get on, no attempt to make any priority... Not sure if its just late or "can you see where we can make a queue here?"...
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Paxing
I agree with the problem of one of a couple taking the job of placing bags overhead, whilst other sits down and have done this often myself. The key, if I may say, is to keep aware of the folks coming down the aisle behind you. If more pax, then [if available] step into the aisle seat area and wait. Once there is a gap, step back into the aisle and slot remaing bag/s into place and then promptly sit down. Mostly, I see folks, packing the locker slowly, carefully and checking with partner that nothing else has to go up - checking space in neighbouring lockers and greatly extending their time in the aisle.
Yup, this is what the better half and I do. She generally gets the window, so she jumps in and I deal with the bags in the manner you suggested.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.