Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I also long for the old days where I could deliberately be last on the plane, enjoying the lounge as long as possible - but that was when there were far fewer carry ons on board.

It’d be nice if they offered Premium Hand Baggage like Qantas - where they collect your roll on at the door of the plane and return it to you at the door at the other end. I wouldn’t mind that, but I’d never allow it to go in the hold and pick up from the carousel.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TheMajor
I have never understood this obsession with wanting to board first. Surely it is a perk to board at the end without all the fuss chaos that is invariably at the gate at the start of the process.

I like to be last on and first off ideally. Load by row, blocks of 10 starting at the back.
Good luck with finding space in the overhead bins, then. Without "Bin Control" those at the back will dump their bags anywhere, to be recovered later.

Fortunately our carry-ons go under the seat in front, so we let the rest fight for it ... watching with amusement!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
This system is going to require either a visual BP check (is the person trying to board in or out of order) or an electronic coupling of the new boarding groups to those groups which are being called (with some kind of beep turning usurpers of the new system back to the Walk of Shame).

I'm not even sure the latter is possible.

As a datapoint, it certainly isn't on LH at TXL, MUC, FRA, DUS where they call for First, Business, HON, SEN and *G to go through the manual pre-boarding gate but actually the aforementioned status is not controlled. Anybody can go through, because all that the gates monitor is name and sequence number indicated on the BP.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Vgravity

Ive seen the current boarding procedures enforced well at AMS and KEF, but diabolically at LHR, MAN and DUB recently.
MAN is one of the best stations for turning the aircraft around and boarding procedures are enforced. Only gate 141 poses difficulties, but that's due to an Airport/gate layout issue, not the airlines/handling agents fault. Perhaps you could elaborate as to what you found diabolical ?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by wythy
MAN is one of the best stations for turning the aircraft around and boarding procedures are enforced. Only gate 141 poses difficulties, but that's due to an Airport/gate layout issue, not the airlines/handling agents fault. Perhaps you could elaborate as to what you found diabolical ?
A massive line of mixed status in the priority lane and everyone called at once.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A massive line of mixed status in the priority lane and everyone called at once.
I thought that was the BA Standard, with no pause for breath between any category?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:45 am

Firstly, status passengers are always called before everyone else, they are never all called at once. Also, perhaps, as I'm sure you've noticed, there isn't the physical room to have multiple lines for every class of status category. Secondly, behind the scenes, On time performance is the biggest factor as far as BA is concerned. Boarding HAS to be completed as quick as possible. The Domestic outstations typically are given 5mins less than LHR and 10mins less than European stations to complete the turn-around. Lengthy boarding status based processes will only slow the process further.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by wythy
Firstly, status passengers are always called before everyone else, they are never all called at once. Also, perhaps, as I'm sure you've noticed, there isn't the physical room to have multiple lines for every class of status category. Secondly, behind the scenes, On time performance is the biggest factor as far as BA is concerned. Boarding HAS to be completed as quick as possible. The Domestic outstations typically are given 5mins less than LHR and 10mins less than European stations to complete the turn-around. Lengthy boarding status based processes will only slow the process further.
This may well have been an exception, but they definitely called all CE, Gold, Silver, Broze and OW equivalents at once. Probably about half the plane.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Kevlondon
Seeing as BA staff are unable and/or unwilling to enforce current boarding rules, why would anyone expect this to be any different? And doesn't the whole idea of introducing a new system that will affect every departure to every destination run somewhat contrary to BA's current race to the bottom in terms of service standards?

To my mind, there is nothing wrong with the current system which was clearly intended to make boarding faster and more comfortable for everyone. The fact that it seems to be rarely, if ever, enforced means pretty much every flight has a 30-minute line of stationary passengers queuing along the aisle of each plane, because people are trying to get to the back of the plane whilst others are seated near the front and are blocking the aisle whilst stowing their luggage.

I really don't see the point in creating endless boarding groups to recognise every status and cabin combination. Is it really necessary to have more than the following simple categorisation:

Premium cabin passengers can board at their leisure
1. Special assistance/families
2. Gold/Emerald status only
3. Everyone else, ideally in blocks of 10 rows each

The current system isn't broken, it's simply not being followed. Why try to replace instead of fixing? It just requires 2 staff members to say 'no' to a bunch of self-important chancers.
Exactly this. Wasn't there a relaunch of boarding procedures a year ago? Why would this be any different?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Summarising the past 17 pages is a pretty simple task, but there is one recurring theme - enforcement.

Collectively, the BA Forum seems to be happy with the proposed changes to the Boarding Procedure, but there also seems to be agreement that the only way it will work, is if it is enforced properly by the gate-staff.

A lot of the concern, seems to come from the fact that the current system, which is actually not too dissimilar to the new, is rarely enforced.

I would hope, that having gone to the hassle of amending the designs of the BA App and physical printed boarding passes, that the gate staff will be warned to actually use the new Grouping system, but I wonder whether there is any insight into the Staff Training element of the boarding process?

Will all relevant BA gate staff be re-trained to ensure the Grouping process is adhered to?

M
Good evening all

Many thanks for all your feedback, and I am pleased to hear that the general consensus is that it is worth a try and it should be an improvement . The media have been all over it, saying the cheap tickets board last, but actually HBO fares can be expensive ! I will pass on all the comments about enforcement and agree this will be the key to it's success. Having said that, because of the simplicity of the announcements, and the customers being now told to remain seated (BA have never done this in the past) I am hopeful.

I can also just want to clarify for everyone that those in the same PNR, or in a separate PNR who do not have any status, will be allowed to board with the card holder - but no large groups please! We hope for a fix for this in 2018.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cayman4522
Good evening all
I bet you have had a busy day in the office today cayman4522! Thanks for keeping us updated, it is certainly refreshing to feel that feedback is being taken into account here. This has doubtless happened before, perhaps in less overt ways, but it's great to see this dialogue played out here.
T8191, Tobias-UK and cayman4522 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
This may well have been an exception, but they definitely called all CE, Gold, Silver, Broze and OW equivalents at once. Probably about half the plane.
That's my general experience with BA.
Even if they do manage a gap between announcements, it's usually only a few seconds and not enough time to react or push through the hoards in front.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by cayman4522
Good evening all

Many thanks for all your feedback, and I am pleased to hear that the general consensus is that it is worth a try and it should be an improvement . The media have been all over it, saying the cheap tickets board last, but actually HBO fares can be expensive ! I will pass on all the comments about enforcement and agree this will be the key to it's success. Having said that, because of the simplicity of the announcements, and the customers being now told to remain seated (BA have never done this in the past) I am hopeful.

I can also just want to clarify for everyone that those in the same PNR, or in a separate PNR who do not have any status, will be allowed to board with the card holder - but no large groups please! We hope for a fix for this in 2018.
As a matter of interest - what steps are being taken to deal with volumes of hand baggage generally?

In other words what will happen when the inevitable situation arises where HBO passengers board to find the overhead lockers already full? The reality here is far too much baggage is being taken into the aircraft relative to the space available.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
As a matter of interest - what steps are being taken to deal with volumes of hand baggage generally?

In other words what will happen when the inevitable situation arises where HBO passengers board to find the overhead lockers already full? The reality here is far too much baggage is being taken into the aircraft relative to the space available.
Not to worry. I'll use my GGL/GCH privilege to seek out a load of statusless group 5 passengers and get them onto the plane before others so that they don't have any bag issues
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
Doing LHR-INV recently there was the pre-departure text offering checked hang luggage as the flight was busy, there was then an prompt for this on the auto bag drop machine and the gate announcement for people to check it in return for priority boarding.

Seemed to to work well in the end without any drama on board.

However invite the question of whether those checking hand luggage will continue to be offered priority boarding in the new system?

This was on an A319 which already has some of the most dense seating. Cabin densification will make this harder to manage. Can’t help thinking that BA must be thinking about whether HBO fares are really worth all the hassle for the extra revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.