Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load
Too right ! Perfect opportunity surely for his favourite topics : Qatar and ex-EU’s.

That said, I don’t think HIDDY is at all troubled one way or the other by revised boarding procedures (whether improved or not), given that most of his ‘flying’ these days is keyboard-based. And any real-world stuff is proudly status-less and down the back of the bus
Not strictly true but yes considering the vast majority of my 50 years plus of air travel has been in the economy cabin the boarding procedure is not something that I sweat over. Of course there was no such thing as airline status to upset the boarding procedure when I was young. No air bridges either come to think of it so you'd all have to wait and be marched across the tarmac to the aircraft steps anyway....and head lice rather than gate lice were of far more concern.

That's how boarding was done until they started to board from the back first which I thought seemed to work okay. This group method sounds a bit too complicated to me but we'll have to wait and see how it goes. As long as I reach my seat before departure I'll be happy.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by RG1X
Yup, this is what the better half and I do. She generally gets the window, so she jumps in and I deal with the bags in the manner you suggested.
However, I have often seen mindful people stepping out of the aisle to let boarding pax getting past them effectivly trapped in them in thier own row with their remaing bag in their hands.. Just a few seconds pass whilst they wait patiently and somebody else snaffles "their" overhead locker space.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Joining the choir welcoming this planned change, almost copying AA's group boarding procedures.

TBH, it has been a strange anomaly to find the Priority Boarding area obstructed 5-15 min before boarding with some 50+ pax already lined up, the majority having bag tags or BPs showing lesser priority. One can only hope the group boarding will be enforced as planned.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by T8191
As already alluded to up-thread, there are some farcical pre-boarding scenarios on Caribbean routes. One person in wheelchairor or hobbling on 2 sticks, and then the extended family of 10 (3-4 generations) following. Unsurprisingly, they all end up standing on the airbridge as the unfortunate individual struggles aboard, and the recently-released "Group 1" boarders stand on the airbridge behind them!!
On my flight to PHX this week there were 30 wheelchairs. The entire jetbridge was filled with wheelchairs while disembarking.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dylanks
On my flight to PHX this week there were 30 wheelchairs. The entire jetbridge was filled with wheelchairs while disembarking.
PHX flights suffering from Snow-birds heading for Apache Junction?
dylanks likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nallison
I really wish a airline would do this. I really don't understand why no-one has, it can still use group numbers so is perfectly straightforward for passengers. Obviously passengers sat next to each other would have to be allowed to board together and be placed in the same group or it would never be accepted, but as they wouldn't need to get past each other that shouldn't significantly slow it down.

The elephant in the room is of course, do too many people get priority boarding for any efficient process to work? And when so many people have it, is it even priority, or just a fig leaf airlines throw to make people feel special? Would it not be better to limit it to fewer people and make the whole process more efficient?
that is because American Airlines did a research cir. 2015 to 2016. Their findings suggest board by location of the seats (windows, aisle, front and back) actually delay the boarding process of a B737 sized aircraft by 5 minutes. The most efficient way of boarding is random according to their research. I could not remember the detail so the above stats might not be the exact however the research conclusion was solid.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:17 pm

My CX-issued (in HKG) boarding pass for this morning's BA306 has clearly printed across the top:

BOARDING GROUP: GROUP

...so that looks all ready to go to me.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:03 am

What makes the difference with AA group boarding for status passengers is that they keep the priority lane clear.
I often stroll up in the middle of general boarding and I have always had a clear priority lane and boarded by the gate agent immediately.
orbitmic, rossmacd and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by strichener
What makes the difference with AA group boarding for status passengers is that they keep the priority lane clear.
I often stroll up in the middle of general boarding and I have always had a clear priority lane and boarded by the gate agent immediately.
Agreed. I also like that, in my experience, you mostly know when AA flights are going to start boarding. Means that even if the priority lane was to get clogged up if you turn up late (which I’ve seen a few times on BA) it’s easy to time your lounge departure so you arrive when your group is called. For me this takes a lot of hassle out of the process.

Is there a standard time for BA flights to start boarding?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by woglet86
Agreed. I also like that, in my experience, you mostly know when AA flights are going to start boarding. Means that even if the priority lane was to get clogged up if you turn up late (which I’ve seen a few times on BA) it’s easy to time your lounge departure so you arrive when your group is called. For me this takes a lot of hassle out of the process.

Is there a standard time for BA flights to start boarding?
20mins before the listed departure time seems to be the general case in my experience.

I always assume 30 minutes as with AA, but even they sometimes board 10-20 minutes earlier than that on certain ex-MIA flights or a few minutes later depending on the status of the incoming plane.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For BA boarding should start at 30 minutes before departure for short haul & domestic, and I think 40-45 minutes for long haul.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
For BA boarding should start at 30 minutes before departure for short haul & domestic, and I think 40-45 minutes for long haul.
Long haul (from LHR) on Saturday had a 'gate closes 14:15' for a 15:15 flight... (!).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CKBA
Long haul (from LHR) on Saturday had a 'gate closes 14:15' for a 15:15 flight... (!).
Actually I haven't been on a flight to the US since the very recent gate security changes and I suspect this may be the type of flight you were on? Did they start the boarding early to allow extra time for the additional checks, or was it just names called out prior to boarding with actual boarding starting at the normal time?

I assume the gate didn't actually close at -60 minutes?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by woglet86
Their Gate information displays are excellent. Here's one I photographed at SAV a couple of years ago ... including the AAdvantage miles earning!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by onobond
TBH, it has been a strange anomaly to find the Priority Boarding area obstructed 5-15 min before boarding with some 50+ pax already lined up, the majority having bag tags or BPs showing lesser priority. One can only hope the group boarding will be enforced as planned.
I don't see how this helps with the congested access to priority boarding though. Whether its Tier (G/S/B) or Group (1/2/3 ) those further down the order can still block the entrance, unless it's a separate line for each and they are processes one by one until empty. Something like Gate 6 (IIRC) @ EDI will still be in a narrow corner with lots of milling around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.