Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by seat1C
Totally agree with the experience in Glasgow - it's a real rarity that they do it properly. I fear that on short haul they will basically announce 1,2 and 3 at pretty much the same time . On most short haul I wouldn't have a problem with 1&2 at the same time so long as there is reasonable gap before 3 (as that's where the real lack of priority hits). I am hoping they will still have proper fast track lanes so that those of us in 1 or 2 who arrive later don't get stuck at the back. Selfish - a bit - but that's what we pay for.
The handling agents do not have the time luxury on Domestic flights.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wythy
Is the boarding time for domestics the same as short haul though - so starting 30 mins before departure? - identical to aa who operate a group boarding system too? Why would the time pressure for domestic be any different than short haul?

It seems that if aa can manage it on an identical timescale then BA should be able to as well for domestic & short haul.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 21, 2017 at 3:55 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
is the boarding time for domestics the same as short haul though - so starting 30 mins before departure? - identical to aa who operate a group boarding system too? Why would they time pressure for domestic be any different than short haul?

It seems that if aa can manage it on an identical timescale then BA should be able to as well for domestic & short haul.
Domestic flights get shorter turn around times. An A319=35mins / A320=40mins / A321=45mins. Short haul ex LHR gets an extra 5mins and flights ex Europe get an extra 10mins. That has to also includes disembarking and cleaning. So 30mins as you suggest is unrealistic. Boarding 30mins before departure is only doable on the fist wave departures as the scheduling time doesn't allow for it during the day.

Many people like to wax lyrical about AA's abilities, I'd be interested to know what time frame AA allocate for their turn around operations. I suspect it's more than what BA allow.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:24 pm

Domestic flights get shorter turn around times. An A319=35mins / A320=40mins / A321=45mins. Short haul ex LHR gets an extra 5mins and flights ex Europe get an extra 10mins. That has to also includes disembarking and cleaning. So 30mins as you suggest is unrealistic. Boarding 30mins before departure is only doable on the fist wave departures as the scheduling time doesn't allow for it during the day.

Many people like to wax lyrical about AA's abilities, I'd be interested to know what time frame AA allocate for their turn around operations. I suspect it's more than what BA allow.
Where are you getting the turnaround times from?

LBA (all A319s) is 40/45/50 minute turnaround (i.e. scheduled IN time to OUT time) depending on which rotation you look at. MAN which has a mixture of the A320 family has A319 of 50 minutes, A320 mostly 50 minutes (have seen the odd 40/45 minute) and A321 all 55 minutes. These seem to be pretty much identical to scheduled turnaround times for short haul at outstations as far as I have experienced. EDIT: thinking back I remember once seeing 35 minutes for a JER turnaround which jumped out at me as being unusually short for BA, but I certainly haven't seen that elsewhere.

I can confirm having taken many domestic flights both to and from LHR that boarding usually starts at 30 minutes or a few minutes either side - same for short haul. I have not managed to detect any difference in boarding times for short haul or domestic from LHR.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 21, 2017 at 4:30 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Where are you getting the turnaround times from?

LBA (all A319s) is 40/45/50 minute turnaround (i.e. scheduled IN time to OUT time) depending on which rotation you look at. MAN which has a mixture of the A320 family has A319 of 50 minutes, A320 mostly 50 minutes (have seen the odd 40/45 minute) and A321 all 55 minutes. These seem to be pretty much identical to scheduled turnaround times for short haul at outstations as far as I have experienced. EDIT: thinking back I remember once seeing 35 minutes for a JER turnaround which jumped out at me as being unusually short for BA, but I certainly haven't seen that elsewhere.

I can confirm having taken many domestic flights both to and from LHR that boarding usually starts at 30 minutes or a few minutes either side - same for short haul. I have not managed to detect any difference in boarding times for short haul or domestic from LHR.
You're quoting schedule times, however, if the aircraft arrives late, which they often are ex LHR, then you're reduced to the working time of the aircraft as quoted. Typically, in the summer schedule, BA schedules 5mins above the working time of the aircraft, so for example, if the aircraft was down to be operated by an A319 (35mins working time), then the schedules will show 40mins. Still not enough time to allow 30mins for boarding. As for LHR allowing 30mins for boarding as you suggest, then BA schedules more ground time in LHR which they do not for the out stations.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:09 pm

You're quoting schedule times, however, if the aircraft arrives late, which they often are ex LHR, then you're reduced to the working time of the aircraft as quoted. Typically, in the summer schedule, BA schedules 5mins above the working time of the aircraft, so for example, if the aircraft was down to be operated by an A319 (35mins working time), then the schedules will show 40mins. Still not enough time to allow 30mins for boarding. As for LHR allowing 30mins for boarding as you suggest, then BA schedules more ground time in LHR which they do not for the out stations.
Thanks. However as noted though the schedules don't regularly show 40 mins for an A319. I am still not clear where you are regularly seeing scheduled 40 mins for an A319 at an outstation? As noted this isn't typical at LBA/MAN and schedule is average of 45/50 minutes for an A319.

EDIT: to get back on topic I am still unclear why the new system can't be implemented for domestic flights and my experience is there is sufficient time to do it. Other airlines are able to do similar boarding periods with similar group systems so I am sure BA can if they put their mind to it - which I think will be the biggest issue since we have all seen half arsed attempts by BA in the past to implement a proper boarding system
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by markle
Classic BA, of course - rolling it out before they're actually ready to start using it.
We can criticize BA IT for many things but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that especially if it helps ensure a smooth transition on 12th December.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:38 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:05 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by caburrito
How do you know you're going to be disabled between ticket purchase and time of boarding?
What if the rule was that those who need special assistance MUST check-in at the counter with an agent, who would update their BP? I'm not even saying that the agents should be verifying the need, that is probably illegal. But putting a barrier in the way of it would deter those who are making up excuses to line cut, and BA could then capacity control it (I believe Southwest only allows one additional passenger to join each 'assistance needed' passenger).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Isn't this doomed to failure as have been all previous attempts, because of lack of enforcement by gate staff?
I don't entirely blame the gate staff, they're under stress to board everyone quickly and don't have time to faff around, the gate area at LHR is too cramped because of all the retail outlets to organize people properly.
Do we really need 5 1/2 boarding classes? Horribly complicated.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by markle
It would not have been hard at all to include logic such as:

If group number field is blank, do not display "group" label

This would have avoided the awkward pre-launch display of the word "group". Literally would have taken five minutes to do, and speaks to the quality and thought (or lack thereof) in BA's IT.
I think having it on there early is a good thing. Maybe people will ask what it is for and be educated before the 12th.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
The problem I can see with this is that it doesn't seem to have been designed with efficiency in mind at all. I guess from the responses people are more concerned at being on first for whatever reason, but as someone who prefers getting on towards the end (and yes I do have a bag), I'd rather they just made the whole process quicker. Having hand baggage only passengers get on last, who one presumes are likely to have larger items, and have chosen this option to avoid checking anything seems rather perverse as well. And it will be very front loaded one assumes, which will slow things down. But I guess if that's what people value, rather than minimising the time spent in a very dull process, BA are right to do it that way.

From my personal experience though, I still really don't get this massive bag space anxiety. I've very infrequently actually seen bags being taken off people, flying all sorts of airlines, and I can't help thinking it tends to be massively exaggerated in people's minds, either to justify the need to be 'first' or just out of natural anxiety about something we're not in control of. It boggles my mind when I see people getting in their line an hour before departure and I think 'they actually paid more to be able to get in that queue?' It doesn't really seem much of a perk, especially as you could get on mid-way through and there'll be plenty of space. They never look that relaxed...Personally, if its that stressful I think I'd rather just check a bag and take one small enough to put under the seat in front of me. It's probably less stressful waiting at baggage reclaim than dealing with all this anxiety and standing around in a line for longer than necessary.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
As much as I’d love to agree that’s just not the case. I’ve watched the turnaround for 12 years and on a weekly basis and although I know they’re short, the gate staff spend much of their time, once everyone has disembarked the arriving aircraft, standing waiting for the cleaning, security checking and what not to finish. What they should be doing instead of standing waiting is to start making announcements about how they’ll be boarding the aircraft, filling up the general boarding line from the back row of the aircraft to the front of the aircraft and going down the priority line ensuring those who are eligible to board first are actually standing at the front of the priority line. It really is not rocket science and they do waste a heck of a lot of time standing there doing absolutely nothing
T8191, Tobias-UK, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Still no group mention with the iPhone boarding pass as far as I can see.

Last edited by highexpectations; Nov 22, 2017 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
So I’ve just boarded from a15 (16:40 to FRA) and the gate agent sent back 4 (yes that’s right: four!) individuals at different points of the line ahead of me.

I only heard the final one be sent back but she said “sir we’re only boarding Gold or Business Class passengers at the moment you are silver can you please wait a couple of minutes until they’ve finished”.

So either the apocalypse is about to begin or gate agents have started to enforce the existing rules I’m assuming in preparation for the changes as I’ve never seen anyone sent back before let alone a Silver. Both agents did it as well 3 got one and 1 person the other (the silver) which was also surprising to me. When I have seen some of the rules enforced I’ve never seen them enforced by both agents consistently.

Encouraging stuff!

(on an unrelated note this a321 also has a proper business class and IFE in economy with USB charging points. So that’s two first experiences for me and BA today as I assume this is one of the 321s used on the longer ET routes?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.