Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by highexpectations
As much as I’d love to agree that’s just not the case. I’ve watched the turnaround for 12 years and on a weekly basis and although I know they’re short, the gate staff spend much of their time, once everyone has disembarked the arriving aircraft, standing waiting for the cleaning, security checking and what not to finish. What they should be doing instead of standing waiting is to start making announcements about how they’ll be boarding the aircraft, filling up the general boarding line from the back row of the aircraft to the front of the aircraft and going down the priority line ensuring those who are eligible to board first are actually standing at the front of the priority line. It really is not rocket science and they do waste a heck of a lot of time standing there doing absolutely nothing
I still find it amazing that BA can make loads of effort to shave pennies off service items yet completely fail to maximize the utility of their own staff at their own hub (let's not even talk about outstations / contractors !!).

At LHR, a single supervisor, during an 8 hour working day, could easily witness the boarding of 16 or so departures. As tomorrow there are I think 156 scheduled BA departures from T3 & T5 combined, that would be a very decent sample size of 10%. In a fortnight, they could probably witness pretty much every single one.

Their brief ? To ensure the new boarding process is being adhered to and report back if not - the gate staff in question to be held to account later and sanctioned if not performing. I think within a month, 90%+ of boardings would be compliant.

I see the whole sorry saga as an egregious management failure which speaks volumes about the lack of customer focus within the airline.
710 77345, T8191 and AlbaGuBrath like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by highexpectations
Still no group mention with the iPhone boarding pass as far as I can see.
Should they not be boarding with their parents anyway?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
So out on GLA-LGW on sunday was Tensa'd off for lanes and boarding by group. LGW-GLA and I'm sitting about 8 seats from the door (usual gate crowd hanging around) and they call..... This is boarding only for CE. I stood up and walked to the door briskly (anticipating a stampede as usual but they all held back), but the announcer had only given it about 5 secs before talking a big breath and said... "AND also GCH, SCH, BCH. So I don't know if it was a deliberate pause to allow club in 1st or just a pause for a deep breath. Then It seemed as if the whole plane was at by back rushing through the door.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
So out on GLA-LGW on sunday was Tensa'd off for lanes and boarding by group. LGW-GLA and I'm sitting about 8 seats from the door (usual gate crowd hanging around) and they call..... This is boarding only for CE. I stood up and walked to the door briskly (anticipating a stampede as usual but they all held back), but the announcer had only given it about 5 secs before talking a big breath and said... "AND also GCH, SCH, BCH. So I don't know if it was a deliberate pause to allow club in 1st or just a pause for a deep breath. Then It seemed as if the whole plane was at by back rushing through the door.
Pause for breath. CE, GCH, SCH and BCH are called as a collective at GLA, hence the tensa barriers in place for 'priority' and 'general boarding'.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by florens
Boarding my seat row is not efficient at all. Boarding efficiency mainly is about using the available aisle space as much as possible. Boarding by seat row only creates queues and slows things down.
Has any airline ever tried boarding single aisle aircraft by Window, Middle then aisle?
This would save the the hassle when people have to move to let someone into a window seat
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Knickam
Has any airline ever tried boarding single aisle aircraft by Window, Middle then aisle?
This would save the the hassle when people have to move to let someone into a window seat
There was that mythbusters episode where they tested a bunch of different options. Maybe it was in that?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rssfed23
So I’ve just boarded from a15 (16:40 to FRA) and the gate agent sent back 4 (yes that’s right: four!) individuals at different points of the line ahead of me.
This reminds me, when I was flying back from Venice last Wednesday. I heard a gabled call over the PA, assumed it was priority boarding so I headed to the priority queue. My boarding pass didn't scan (angry beeping) and they asked if I had Priority. I said yes and pointed to the silver card on my backpack. They did some sort of manual override and send me on my way. In hindsight maybe they were adhering to the 'correct' boarding of CE and Gold first? I have no issue waiting for a call for silver but I could barely make out the announcements. It does bode well for the future though.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rssfed23
So I’ve just boarded from a15 (16:40 to FRA) and the gate agent sent back 4 (yes that’s right: four!) individuals at different points of the line ahead of me.

I only heard the final one be sent back but she said “sir we’re only boarding Gold or Business Class passengers at the moment you are silver can you please wait a couple of minutes until they’ve finished”.

So either the apocalypse is about to begin or gate agents have started to enforce the existing rules I’m assuming in preparation for the changes as I’ve never seen anyone sent back before let alone a Silver. Both agents did it as well 3 got one and 1 person the other (the silver) which was also surprising to me. When I have seen some of the rules enforced I’ve never seen them enforced by both agents consistently.
The same thing happened on BA297 to Chicago yesterday at B44. They called First/Gold/OWEmerald and when I got to the priority line I was in about 10th place. I boarded about fifth as three sets of solo/couple passengers in CW or with Silver status were sent back by an agent patrolling the queue. One couple not at all happy and stood to one side rather than returning to the general boarding area but the whole thing was very effectively done. I made a point of thanking the agent who scanned my boarding pass for the fact that they were enforcing the rules in the hope of acting as a small counterbalance to those who no doubt gave her grief later...
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I've noticed BA have started to enforce priority boarding in order recently, and not just call out for CE, Gold, Silver, brown, blue all at once. Shame they only seem to have started doing it now the system is about to be changed.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The so-called WILMA method is supposedly the only method that can board an aircraft faster than totally random (and random is faster than Groups but that's for another day's discussion). However it is impractical since few couples are prepared to be split up, with one spouse/partner going on perhaps well before the other.

Originally Posted by streetmagix
My boarding pass didn't scan (angry beeping) and they asked if I had Priority. I said yes and pointed to the silver card on my backpack. They did some sort of manual override and send me on my way. In hindsight maybe they were adhering to the 'correct' boarding of CE and Gold first?
Were you in an exit row? In which case the agent would have been multi-tasking and the bleep was for the exit row validation on FLY.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I really wish a airline would do this. I really don't understand why no-one has, it can still use group numbers so is perfectly straightforward for passengers. Obviously passengers sat next to each other would have to be allowed to board together and be placed in the same group or it would never be accepted, but as they wouldn't need to get past each other that shouldn't significantly slow it down.

The elephant in the room is of course, do too many people get priority boarding for any efficient process to work? And when so many people have it, is it even priority, or just a fig leaf airlines throw to make people feel special? Would it not be better to limit it to fewer people and make the whole process more efficient?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nallison
. Obviously passengers sat next to each other would have to be allowed to board together and be placed in the same group or it would never be accepted,
In the test I watched (some years ago) as soon as you allow couples to board together you lose the advantage over totally random. Typically one person sits down quickly but the second person will then block the aisle flapping around.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The so-called WILMA method is supposedly the only method that can board an aircraft faster than totally random (and random is faster than Groups but that's for another day's discussion). However it is impractical since few couples are prepared to be split up, with one spouse/partner going on perhaps well before the other.
I do not really understand why couples, friends or co-workers care about boarding together. My wife sure does not.

Maybe she just does not want to be seen with me?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
There is also another project which works with an algorithm:

https://ddyna.aero/

JUST-IN-TIME SEAT ALLOCATION
Passengers get their seat when they go through the gate. This enables DDynaBoard to optimise the order and arrangement of seat assignments just-in-time. An algorithm evaluates possible seats and chooses the best one.
PASSENGERS BOARD IN A RANDOM ORDER
When boarding starts, passengers start queuing. There are no instructions or rules to follow. Sequence does not matter. They show their boarding pass to the gate agent and get their suitable seat.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm on BA1448 to EDI today and having turned up to the gate a touch before boarding was about to begin (flight was a little delayed) I got to see the whole process. Club and gold called and the whole priority line proceeds to surge forward. Silver then called about 5 seconds after and then bronze so in reality basically no differentiation. By the time I'm on there is virtually no space in the row 1, 2 or even 3 headbins even though I was present when boarding started and was in the queue (although probably around 30 people deep).

This is a very full flight but I was honestly surprised to see that there would be so little space for bags so quickly, a first for me but then maybe I just wasn't fast enough. Either way I think the key factor with the new system will be, as so many others she said, enforcement.

Also I have a question, if the flight were to leave from one of the e-gates, would the gates automatically decline someone from a boarding group that hadn't yet been called? It's perhaps a touch harsh and honestly I'd rather come to the gate last and avoid it all like CWS seems to, but I do get a little worried about the lack of overhead space especially when deliberately travelling HBO. I guess worst case scenario is the bags disappear a little further away. First world problems and all that..!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.