Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
May I ask a question without getting flamed? How often is CW bedding washed? Between all customers or...?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ijkh
May I ask a question without getting flamed? How often is CW bedding washed? Between all customers or...?
Once a year, whether it needs it or not, to channel my inner Elizabeth I.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Whats the story with LGW?

Have a C flight to the Caribbean in July

Will it still be the Gatwick 777 classic service?

Edit: I note from Wiki bedding may make it in time!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Whats the story with LGW?

Have a C flight to the Caribbean in July

Will it still be the Gatwick 777 classic service?

Edit: I note from Wiki bedding may make it in time!
All CW has the new bedding now including LGW.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
Would anyone know what the new LGW CW afternoon tea offering would be for LGW-MCO - thinking more about the sandwich fillings whether or not to go for VLML?

On that note, does opting for VLML give you a different meal to the regular menu veggie option?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I apologize for the huge images. This site has to be one of the hardest to figure out how to load images to.

Anyway an excellent CW meal on LHR-YYZ a week ago.

Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:28 pm

Thanks corporaate-wage-slave. I haven't flown this route for a couple of years.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
Good to hear the LGW act is sharpening up too. My PHX was our first CW ex-LHR for a couple of years, and the difference between this and our more regular ex-LGW l/h was quite dramatic.

Well done BA, keep it up! ^
Perhaps with the recent updates to F, perhaps you should give F another go from LHR this time!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
A few observations on the BA15/16 LHR-SIN-SYD...
With an above average to excellent crew this works really well. If there is one slow/inefficient crew member, poor teamwork or poor leadership from the CSM, it falls apart and relies on at least one pro-active main crew/or the galley lead assisting. The service was notably more efficient when the CDM was assisting - I think it’s a proxy of better leadership.

Amenity Kits/Welcome Water - Might be on the seat/handed out or not given at all. High risk of getting nothing if boarding towards the end.

Breakfast Cards don’t work well at all. I think the ordering post-dinner is better, but it might slow an already leisurely service from all but the best crews.

Because there were two of us in the E/F pair, the difference in speed was really noticeable. It wasn’t possible for one of us to be finished mains by the time starters were delivered. And we were only in row 11 of a 77W.

Overall I think the quality and presentation are much improved. But there is a lot of towing and frowing, drinks missed, etc. It might be best to go back to a trolley for the starters and hand deliver mains. Maybe with the introduction of CWS, things will be easier, especially in the middle seats.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
having done my first biz flight from London to Toronto with MF in Biz since the enhancements, I'd make the following observations :
The service was woefully slow to start. With one crew in the galley and one working each side (the CSM was initially) missing, it took me 80 minutes to get a drink! We had passedt the west coast of Ireland and other than hot towels, I saw no one for almost an hour. Sitting in the fifth row of six didn't help, and facing backwards I couldn't see the slow progress up the aisle. I think an extra crew member is really needed on both sides, or had the CSM been there to assist. The A/B side was faster than my side. Once I got the drinks, service sped up as everyone had something to occupy themselves with.
All choices available - nice Spinach and Watercress soup but not enough of it. Cheese Cheesecake was ok but way too cold and not enough cheese in it or pickled cucumber. Beef was overcooked but tender, roast potatoes and parsnips were undercooked with the star being the cabbage.
I sent the sticky toffee pudding back as the creme anglaise was hiding on the plate. (in doing a swirl, it got lost). I asked for more creme anglaise and the second plate was sent back for the same reason. Finally they twigged and took a nut dish and put a nice big dollop on the side. Cheese was very average in selection.
Talking of nuts - none were served due to PAX with nut and sesame seed allergies but they provided no alternate. ie no pretzels or crisps which could have be put in a nut bowl as a gesture. (improvise)
No ice cream offered from the back.
On the plus side, and I've seen neither offered before - a glass of champagne offered before landing, as well as a fresh bottle of water.

Can't wait for Do and Co to take over the food production as regardless of new menus and enhancements - the food is still average. The big issue was the slowness of service - especially that first drink. Do a quick drinks round - even with a cart and it keeps everyone happy and amused. I can't decide if MF crew are slower or they genuinely more crew

Last edited by Mikey Mike Mike; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:51 pm Reason: missed key words out in the opening sentence
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sorry that sounds woeful.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
CIHY - no need to apologise - slow and sustained progress is better than a few years ago. I understand the business case for MF crew, and the majority are nice people who are worked hard and scrutinised. You can see they are wary of stepping out of line. I can't decide if they need more crew, or just bang out the drinks service - it's a great thing to keep people content for 30 mins. I asked for two drinks when they got to me as I had no idea how long it would be. I hope the food supplier changes soon - the transition seems to be taking an age.
Off topic - but the most exciting thing for me on the flight in a very sad way (as a gricer on these matters) is that I flew on G-RAES which is a first for me and one of my BA bucket list things to do!! (sad I know)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
having done my first biz flight from London to Toronto with MF in Biz since the enhancements, I'd make the following observations :
The service was woefully slow to start. With one crew in the galley and one working each side (the CSM was initially) missing, it took me 80 minutes to get a drink! We had passedt the west coast of Ireland and other than hot towels, I saw no one for almost an hour. Sitting in the fifth row of six didn't help, and facing backwards I couldn't see the slow progress up the aisle. I think an extra crew member is really needed on both sides, or had the CSM been there to assist. The A/B side was faster than my side. Once I got the drinks, service sped up as everyone had something to occupy themselves with.
All choices available - nice Spinach and Watercress soup but not enough of it. Cheese Cheesecake was ok but way too cold and not enough cheese in it or pickled cucumber. Beef was overcooked but tender, roast potatoes and parsnips were undercooked with the star being the cabbage.
I sent the sticky toffee pudding back as the creme anglaise was hiding on the plate. (in doing a swirl, it got lost). I asked for more creme anglaise and the second plate was sent back for the same reason. Finally they twigged and took a nut dish and put a nice big dollop on the side. Cheese was very average in selection.
Talking of nuts - none were served due to PAX with nut and sesame seed allergies but they provided no alternate. ie no pretzels or crisps which could have be put in a nut bowl as a gesture. (improvise)
No ice cream offered from the back.
On the plus side, and I've seen neither offered before - a glass of champagne offered before landing, as well as a fresh bottle of water.

Can't wait for Do and Co to take over the food production as regardless of new menus and enhancements - the food is still average. The big issue was the slowness of service - especially that first drink. Do a quick drinks round - even with a cart and it keeps everyone happy and amused. I can't decide if MF crew are slower or they genuinely more crew
Sending a pudding back for more sauce is a little much in my view. I would never even consider it. Thought perhaps not as high maintenance about my colleague who complained about cold butter on UA and made them heat it.
Padmeister likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:20 pm

There was less than a teaspoon of creme anglaise - I asked them to put more on the same plate. I think given the price paid - it is perfectly reasonable to ask for a decent dollop of sauce!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:08 pm

Yes, for goodness sake don't be tight with the custard ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.