Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
OK, I can't hold in my reaction any longer.

... BA?! After #BAinvestment4U, £400M investment in CW, then a further £200M, a 'transformational catering experience', 'restaurant style dining' blah blah blah, a 5 month wait for this to be rolled out beyond one route, what do we have? A new set of plates and glasses!

The oft-used 'lipstick on a pig' seems well deserved here.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
I will be reviewing the overnight BA106 DXB-LHR offer next week. It has always been an odd catering service given the late departure time (2.25am) and early arrival time (6.25am) but they still manage a late night single tray snack service and a full hot breakfast. I always board and sleep till 20 minutes to landing, but in the interest of research...
You will be offered a personalised hand job after departure and the menu looks very similar to what we have always served, breakfast will also be served by hand and breakfast cards will be offered for you to complete which does help those who want to sleep longer.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you

You will be offered a personalised hand job after departure
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It will be quick and satisfy your needs so that you can sleep.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
So here is the spin and what I feel is the truth.
Now that we have seen what GG are supplying we can see that it’s the same food arranged differently on new china.
Do&Co will only be supplying the food for the LHR JFK route plus from a few outstations and this will be of a much higher quality, this wasn’t what we were told during training and speaking as crew I feel let down.
BA would say that there is more food and more choice, let’s see?
Starters are currently loaded to 100% and this will stay the same.
Salads are currently loaded to 100% and this is being reduced to 20% but will get 20% soup, BAs spin is that means that starters are being increased from 100% to 140% where actually it’s being decreased from 200%.
Main course salads have been removed and replaced but extra hot meals, no increase and still at 120%.
I have not been able to work out if we have more desserts and cheese but I’m guessing that we have.
So there you have it, less food, nicer china, better bedding and service delivery routines that doesn’t work.

Thanks for the feedback, if this turns out to be what is offered in the future, it will be very disappointing. The JFK food offering gave some hope, and whilst the new bedding and service is a very welcome improvement the food will be a letdown when compared to JFK product.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This whole mess is going to implode and I bet that heads will roll.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Can I ask why heads will roll? Because the meals are essentially the same, or because the service routine does not work? I cannot believe that the senior managers involved are unaware that the catering beyond JFK is the same as before, as the contract is still with Gate Gourmet.

I would now currently estimate that we are at least 5 years from Club World food standing a chance of being competitive, if it ever happens. I just don’t think that BA has truly got the appetite for such a shake-up.

Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I base this on how the whole project has been managed and how much of this will need to be changed.
We have a very active “Emperors New Clothes” mentality with BA with many staff in areas of control behond their ability.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:15 am

We have a very active “Emperors New Clothes” mentality with BA with many staff in areas of control behond their ability.

I am always shocked when my friends who have worked for BA for a long, long time (since the 1990s) explain to me who their new bosses are: always under the age of 35 (often under 30) with NO experience on the ground or in the air whatsoever. I believe that the person in charge of many crucial aspects of service at T5 is from Purchasing, which was his first and only job - straight out of university, 5 years ago.

That's the real issue with cost cutting - not food, not BOB, but with inexperienced staff who are in WAY over their heads. You simply can't mask that.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by nyjoe4

I am always shocked when my friends who have worked for BA for a long, long time (since the 1990s) explain to me who their new bosses are: always under the age of 35 (often under 30) with NO experience on the ground or in the air whatsoever. I believe that the person in charge of many crucial aspects of service at T5 is from Purchasing, which was his first and only job - straight out of university, 5 years ago.

That's the real issue with cost cutting - not food, not BOB, but with inexperienced staff who are in WAY over their heads. You simply can't mask that.
Just look at M&S on board. I've worked for a couple of teeny tiny charter airlines, whose entire catering department was just one person (who also did 10 other jobs) and I have never worked with such a useless product onboard. Poor loading, rubbish product selection, useless payment devices, and very little has changed in over a year. And yet we receive weekly emails telling us just how wonderful the Emperor's new clothes are. We have four service hallmarks introduced by Frank van der Post. We have added an unofficial fifth, "It is what it is". That's pretty much how we (and our long suffering passengers) are feeling. Apparently the disastrous new Club Europe service is being relaunched a little over a year after it was introduced. Says it all really.........Good luck to us all.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
This is all rather depressing, albeit unsurprising. Thanks to you both your input. Keep up the good work.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Polishing a turd is our 6th hallmark.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
So the new food / is the old food? On a new plate?

Very clever marketing to make such a big deal of the relaunch (one one route) and then to continue to serve the same food on new plates. With extra cheese and biscuits.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:25 pm

There was no way BA was going to invest the talked about sums.

The inability to roll out a bit of new bedding had the alarm bells ringing and you have confirmed the rest.

Shame as the different threads on here with people talking about how wonderful it all is had raised expectations a bit.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could still be wonderful, with new seats around the corner we now need Do&Co catering worldwide.
The good things are the new service equipment and bedding, we just need some experienced people to design deliverable routines and then let us BA cabin crew do what they do best which is to serve with a smile, humour and compassion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.