Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I must protest, you overlooked the sorbet before the roast.
Indeed I did!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
That's why they should perhaps go back to having a 'comfort food/British classic' dish on the menu - fish pie, cottage pie or steak and kidney pudding - along with a few more exciting, Michelin style dishes. Which would be another good reason for having a choice of 4 rather than 3 mains on the menu.
Yes despite my earlier comment regarding having 3 higher quality choices rather than 4 lesser ones I do agree actually, I enjoy a comfort dish when flying and they often work well in the air. I don't see why they couldn't make one of the 3 dishes a comfort one and still make everyone happy.

I seem to remember when the pre-order menus were first introduced, BA said there would be a greater choice of options, but this never happened.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gingeola
There is no vegetarian main course which is a bit of a shame.

The Parmesan in the ravioli won't be vegetarian unless Do & Co are using a fake parmesan substitute which I very much doubt. Does anyone know if this is the case?
I certainly hope not! VGML can of course be ordered for anyone who needs it whilst many 'soft vegetarians' will be ok with the artichoke ravioli (most of my vegetarian friends would be, but I appreciate that some people need proper vegetarian dishes which is best achieved by ordering the special meal).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FrancisA
(avoiding the 18th century attempt to make English more French)

[...]

The entree
Funny that!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
When this new CW catering was first mooted (almost a year ago?), there was mention of "more choice through pre-order".

I took this to mean that there would be additional main courses available via pre-order only, as QF (and perhaps others) have offered, and that would the quid pro quo for the reduction in onboard main choices (though it would require the ability to preorder on flights from outstations to be delivered in full).

I haven't seen any mention of this recently. Are there more than 3 main courses available for pre-order on flights with the new catering, or has this idea been quietly binned?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I haven't seen any mention of this recently. Are there more than 3 main courses available for pre-order on flights with the new catering, or has this idea been quietly binned?
Apart from minor wording changes, and the salad being shown as a separate course, the LHR-JFK pre-order menu on MMB is the same as the menu shown in post 1.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by bafan
That's why they should perhaps go back to having a 'comfort food/British classic' dish on the menu - fish pie, cottage pie or steak and kidney pudding - along with a few more exciting, Michelin style dishes. Which would be another good reason for having a choice of 4 rather than 3 mains on the menu.
I remember - many years ago now - that BA did have a pretty decent shepherd's pie (or it may have been cottage, not sure) that was served in Club. It was so good that I was actually tempted to have a second serving but decided against it for fear of being maligned as fat

That aside, the new menu and service offerings do look good and will hopefully be coming soon to the Las Vegas - LHR flights!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
When this new CW catering was first mooted (almost a year ago?), there was mention of "more choice through pre-order".

I took this to mean that there would be additional main courses available via pre-order only, as QF (and perhaps others) have offered, and that would the quid pro quo for the reduction in onboard main choices (though it would require the ability to preorder on flights from outstations to be delivered in full).

This is still on the cards and is scheduled to be rolled out when more routes have the new service style. These plans would be expensive and logistically difficult to execute with JFK as the only route, as it will be for the time being.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Meanwhile, the new Club service is launched on Friday ...
not quite. The correction is 'some new food options launch on Friday'. That doesn't transform or create a new CE.

is the seat new? No
is the attitude new? No
are the lounges new? No
are the planes new? No
is the ife choice any better ? No
has someone newly cleaned the plane? No
are the toilets refreshed and clean? No
is the bedding new? No
will the seat work? Still pot luck
will the cabin temperature be sleepable? No probably not.
will JFK fastrack work? No not till 2019
will boarding not be a scrum? Probably
will the crew be enthused or demoralised? 50/50
and, will the mega high J be stuffed full of invols from wtp ? Yes

There's a tonne for BA to fix. Who cares about naysayer or not - the other options whether United or Virgini/Delta are so far ahead how anyone who seriously thinks serving some enhanced food will transform prospects beats me. It's not 'new'. Sure it's a first step but nothing more. Meanwhile the alternatives are nt standing still.
bafan, passy777 and scillyisles like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london
is the seat new? No
is the attitude new? No
are the lounges new? No
are the planes new? No
is the ife choice any better ? No
has someone newly cleaned the plane? No
are the toilets refreshed and clean? No
is the bedding new? No
will the seat work? Still pot luck
will the cabin temperature be sleepable? No probably not.
will JFK fastrack work? No not till 2019
will boarding not be a scrum? Probably
will the crew be enthused or demoralised? 50/50
and, will the mega high J be stuffed full of invols from wtp ? Yes
You seem like a very positive individual.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
He does have a point though.
bafan and passy777 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BERbound
He does have a point though.
Or perhaps fourteen points, to be more specific.

Either way, my own hunch is that BA loyalists will be happy with the foodie tweaks, and will soon be enthusing about it all.

But for those who have more fundamental issues with the carrier - and its overall current standards - a change of menu & crockery is unlikely to have too much impact.

People select restaurants based on quality of food ; not sure how many book their air travel using the same criteria.
passy777 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA
This thread is clearly about the new catering concept. Whilst we are all aware that there are concerns with other aspects of the Club World product, that isn't what is being discussed in this particular thread. Is that so hard to grasp?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by hemschmall
This thread is clearly about the new catering concept. Whilst we are all aware that there are concerns with other aspects of the Club World product, that isn't what is being discussed in this particular thread. Is that so hard to grasp?
I fear it will get much worse when somebody actually tries it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Blueboys999

I fear it will get much worse when somebody actually tries it.
Criticising or complaining about something after trying it is fair enough, moaning about it without experiencing it is unhelpful and doesn't bring any value to the topic.
Geordie405 and rockflyertalk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.