Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Criticising or complaining about something after trying it is fair enough, moaning about it without experiencing it is unhelpful and doesn't bring any value to the topic.
Agreed !
I am going to try it with an open mind.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I pre booked this about 3ish weeks ago and it was a curry mustard sauce then.
I never saw it being described as anything else. I have been known to google menu items that I didn't know !
Well being perfectly honest I wasn't sure what a Cafe De Paris sauce was either.

So I also googled. It is a butter based sauce that also features some mustard and some curry powder. Sounds in theory revolting...BUT...

One of the hits I got when googling was to a review of the steak frites at a little chain called L'Entrecote / La Relais De Venise (I can never figure out why it has two names). I think there are only three? in London - City / Wharf and Marylebone High Street (aka Petit Paris). if you like a steak and haven't tried it, I'd reccomend you do. It's a great concept - nothing at all on the menu for mains - you're having steak frites and that's it. All they ask is what you want with it wine wise, and how you want it cooked.

They do two things that make it worth a visit in my opinion...

1) They serve you half your meal first. Then, when you're done, you get the other half of your steak delivered (plus more frites if wanted), still piping hot. Which is a really nice touch.

2) They serve it with a nice sauce (see - there was always a point to my story) which, I am only now led to believe is a Cafe de Paris sauce.

So I'll be seeing what BA have done with it in just over a week. Unless missdimeaner comes back from her trip first and strongly advises me otherwise......
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Criticising or complaining about something after trying it is fair enough, moaning about it without experiencing it is unhelpful and doesn't bring any value to the topic.
That's a perfectly fair point of course but on the same basis there's not much value added by persistently challenging those views either.

After 130 or so posts I personally hope that everybody can hang fire until there really is something to discuss.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Aug 31, 2017 at 1:52 am
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
That's a perfectly fair point of course but on the same basis there's not much value added by persistently challenging those views either.
I've actually experienced the new Club service.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Right, so these seem to be the questions that I've spotted so far:
  1. What is the ethos/logic behind this new CW offering?
  2. How does this new service work on the Sleeper service?
  3. What does the JFK-LHR supper menu look like?
  4. What does the JFK-LHR breakfast look like?
  5. How long does it take to serve?
  6. Any changes to staff numbers for this? [With reference to full 52J cabins]
  7. What does the second meal look like?
  8. How practical are the trolleys?
  9. Will the total meal numbers increase to prevent people not getting their first choice?
  10. Will the existing semi-formal prioritisation of meal selection for Golds continue?
  11. Is the new amenity bag available?
  12. If the new amenity bag is available, what is in it?
  13. Any more news on the bedding?
  14. Champagne and wine confirmation
  15. Any changes to apéritifs and digestifs?
  16. And spirits (gin/vodka)?
  17. How practical is the wine carrier?
  18. Any changes to soft drinks?
  19. When can we look this this going to other services beyond LHR-JFK
  20. What about BA1?
  21. What about EWR?
  22. What about those who prefer unfancy/comfort food?
  23. Is the cheese suitable for vegetarians?
  24. What is the position for vegetarians on the main menu?
  25. Why has the fourth main meal option been removed?
  26. Is the salad "as well as" or "instead of"
  27. Is it dessert or cheese or can we have both?
  28. What can we say about healthy eating on longhaul?
  29. Are the calorific values available?
  30. Any more news of changes to First?
I'll keep out of opex versus capex discussions at this stage, if that's OK.

Anything else?
Tobias-UK, cosmo74 and gingeola like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I've actually experienced the new Club service.
You've experienced an idealised version of the new Club service.

When the CEO demands cuts every day or their not doing their jobs right I can't see this being anything but a reduction in service within 6 months.

yes yes yes, I know this is very negative but I've been bitten too many times in the last couple of years. I really hope it is an improvement and I'll happily eat my hat, or a BA steak, if I'm wrong.
bafan and scillyisles like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Right, so these seem to be the questions that I've spotted so far:

[...]

Anything else?
Thanks!

- Is it confirmed that there will be enough loadings for everyone to have one starter + salad or soup (or more?) If not, how will it be prioritised, will status be used again?

- Any change to the day JFK-LHR flight offerings?

- Any intention to improve coffee offering and notably offer an espresso machine?

- Any plans to improve the quality/variety of non-alcoholic drinks?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks!

- Is it confirmed that there will be enough loadings for everyone to have one starter + salad or soup (or more?) If not, how will it be prioritised, will status be used again?

- Any change to the day JFK-LHR flight offerings?

- Any intention to improve coffee offering and notably offer an espresso machine?

- Any plans to improve the quality/variety of non-alcoholic drinks?
Q: Are all the main courses now cooked separately and then plated?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is no doubt that the new product and food is impressive and it will be a pleasure to deliver, I think 99% of customers will be impressed.
I'm sure there are going to be some delivery problems but that's why it is being launched with WW crew, we will take no .... from our management and if it doesn't work it will have to change.
This new service will cause problems with our current seat as many of the course have to be viewed from the trolley so the screen will be up and down more often, when we get the new seat we will start laying up the tables rather than use trays.
Something that hasn't been mentioned is the impact on the WT plus/WT cabins, on the B744 mid J there will be one less crewmember working there meaning just 4 crew for 235 customers, on the B777 there will be just 3 for the bar service.
WT main meals will be served on a smaller 2/3 tray to allow for the extra catering in CW.
The new bedding is fantastic and will also make a real difference.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see a couple of questions I can answer, tea and coffee will always be served from the galley, I believe BA are looking at espresso machines but nothing confirmed as yet.
Percentage wise there is more food, I believe 180% for the starters/soup/salad and cheese and dessert.
We have been told that during the trials nobody was refused, I just don't believe that.
What I do know is that Do & Co have a huge say in what we are serving and how it is served, their logo is on everything and they have their reputation at stake.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:00 am

- What changes will there be to WTP and WT offers?
- Has anyone said over what period the £400m is being counted?
- What are the next 2 routes to get the service?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There is no doubt that the new product and food is impressive and it will be a pleasure to deliver, I think 99% of customers will be impressed.
I'm sure there are going to be some delivery problems but that's why it is being launched with WW crew, we will take no .... from our management and if it doesn't work it will have to change.
This new service will cause problems with our current seat as many of the course have to be viewed from the trolley so the screen will be up and down more often, when we get the new seat we will start laying up the tables rather than use trays.
Something that hasn't been mentioned is the impact on the WT plus/WT cabins, on the B744 mid J there will be one less crewmember working there meaning just 4 crew for 235 customers, on the B777 there will be just 3 for the bar service.
WT main meals will be served on a smaller 2/3 tray to allow for the extra catering in CW.
All sounding promising and I am totally willing to be open minded about it.

One comment earlier though I would echo - the new bedding will be no use if the cabins are sweltering. And I still don't fully understand why so often this is the case. All CC I have ever asked have flat out denied cranking up the heat to make the pax sleepy, but no-one has ever given me a decent explanation for why it happens with such dull, metronomic regularity either.

Is there a thread elsewhere for this? Don't want to disrupt the current one...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
This is, overall, good news. I do hope that it is successful as made out here, when I get to try it. AA have all my day flight J TATL bookings over the next few months, so it may not be for a some time, unfortunately.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree about the cabin temperatures and I continually monitor these and keep them appropriate, some of aircraft are very difficult to manage especially the B744 as it just seems to do it's own thing.
Cabin temperatures have been highlighted during the CW training.
Pascoe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.