Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the furthest you've flown for the shortest amount of time on leisure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the furthest you've flown for the shortest amount of time on leisure?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I went for lunch in LA twice in one month back in 2009 just to collect some miles and to get some uninterrupted time to edit my PhD thesis.

Flew out on Saturday around lunch time (direct), arrived into LA mid afternoon and flew back on a Saturday night service via JFK, connecting on to AA's daytime JFK-LHR service (I think it was AA142). Total time in LA - around 4 hours.

The following weekend I did the same thing but flew outbound via JFK. Departed around 8am on Saturday morning and arrived in LA around lunchtime and flew back on the same overnighter to JFK so I could connect back to AA142. Total time in LA - around 6 hours.

Last edited by mrow; Aug 4, 2017 at 3:24 am Reason: It was AA142 on the way back, and they do still operate it, but it's been retimed to a later departure
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:29 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Work trip
LHR-LAX arrived at 2PM ISH...Meeting at 4PM..Took the 9.35PM LAX-LHR Back.

The worst mileage run I did a few years ago.

BA LHR-BKK 4PM departure, arrived around 9AM,
off the plane through security
Took the 11.30AM Swiss flight back BKK-ZRH. Though no jet lag.

Last edited by When I Travel The World; Aug 4, 2017 at 3:39 am
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I did NCL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL stayed for a day then headed back. That was pretty extreme.
747_not_777 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: SK Diamond
I've done three weekend trips to the US the past two years from Europe. Arrive friday, leave again sunday. Mostly using error fares where this was the longest I was able to stay, but also because I enjoy them even though short.

Just for the miles, I've also done a 4 hour stay in Chicago, routing OSL-ARN-ORD-CPH-OSL. Entire trip was 25 hours I think. Fortunately I do enjoy sleeping in SAS Business.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:03 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I used to do back-to-backs from LHR-JNB every two weeks...for 5 months.

I did LHR-FRA-LHR-MIA-SCL-MIA-IAH-DFW-JFK-MIA-FRA-LHR purely to attend a party in SCL. I was in SCL for 8 hours.

I did LHR-DOH-BKK-DOH-LHR a month ago to attend a 75th Birthday party of a family friend. Landed in BKK at 11am, and left at 1am

M
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I did LHR-FRA-LHR-MIA-SCL-MIA-IAH-DFW-JFK-MIA-FRA-LHR purely to attend a party in SCL. I was in SCL for 8 hours.
Are you sure it was "purely" to attend a party in SCL? Sounds like the party was an excuse for a TP run
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Are you sure it was "purely" to attend a party in SCL? Sounds like the party was an excuse for a TP run
Haha!

I'll admit the fact that AA let me change from cheap F fare from FRA-DFW-SCL to any routing I wanted, was a bonus to encourage me to attend the party...but it was a great party to be fair!

M
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Last year for birthday flew DUB-LAS night - LAS-LAX-HNL night (birthday) HNL-LAX-LAS - (still birthday) - won $2000 on a slot - LAS-LHR-DUB-LHR

Had a great time and a tonne of TPs
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
LHR-FRA-HKG-HND-SYD-HKG-HND-HKG-LHR.

Arrived into SYD at 07:30, had lunch with a friend then departed back to HKG at 22:00 after several great hours in the lovely QF F lounge. 😎😎
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC
I flew to LHR-MIA for 3 nights for leisure. Granted not as crazy as Tobias or BA038 day trips to Australia, I'd need a holiday after that sort of flying trip!!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
pleasure - middling
LHR-DXB-LHR 3 days (7000 miles, 60 hours in Dubai)

work - more impressive - both in 2016

LHR-SIN-LHR for one day (13000 miles, total of 30 hr in SIN)
LHR-SYD-MEL-LHR two days (21000 miles total of 36 hr in Australia)
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
LHR-HKG VS UC 24 hours in HKG to see a friend
HKG-SYD VS UC 24 hours in SYD to see a friend
SYD-HKG-LHR VS UC - and straight to work on a Monday morning.
I felt a bit weird by Wednesday though
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
JFK-ATH on Olympic Airlines. 2 hours in Athens and then straight back to JFK. Went to pick up my grandmother as I didn't want her travelling alone and I couldn't get away for longer.
TheTakeOffRush likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Nothing really comes to mind as an adult that's noteworthy, but as a child, I did a fair amount of non-rev/staff travel on HP (America West), so we would often do day trips around the US (starting in RNO) and have lunch somewhere, see a tourist attraction, and fly back that night. They had a late night bank of flights via LAS (mostly to support their contract with the US Postal Service) to everywhere they flew, so we would often get home around 2 or 3am after leaving around 5 or 6am. Or we would do more sensible trips to the US east coast with 1-2 nights at the destination.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
2 nights in HKG (from LHR) to see the other half is probably the shortest holiday. TP wise, HNL for approx 12hrs from DUB via LHR/MIA/LAX.

Pilot37

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.