Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I think you're forgetting the fact that BA doesn't need to do a demonstration in a language other than english. If theres a second language that BA needs to present the demonstrations, that'll be 13 minutes and 26 second of Chabuddy for you... not exactly minimalist eh?
All BA flights operate only to countries where BA is the language used? I would generally expect a main language of both countries to be used in a safety demonstration

I find it odd that BA only does it in English

I would much prefer the airlines dispense with long videos and stick to manual safety demonstrations which tend to be quite short
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Longhaul flights do/should get the subtitled version for some key languages, so you will get Spanish / Portuguese to Latin America. If it's something like LON-SIN it's only going to be in English (in my experience); and our gorgeous MF cabin crew aren't always aware that (e.g.) French is more appropriate than Arabic to Toronto, even if some may think it's a close call.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:56 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
All BA flights operate only to countries where BA is the language used? I would generally expect a main language of both countries to be used in a safety demonstration

I find it odd that BA only does it in English

I would much prefer the airlines dispense with long videos and stick to manual safety demonstrations which tend to be quite short
as c-w-s has pointed out, there should be subtitles in the language of the origin/destination if English isn’t the major one. This would be the standard practice on international routes on most major airlines.

Manual demos are not going to be that short either if it is repeated in multiple languages.

And I don’t think ‘BA’ is a language
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Wow - that is way too long in my opinion, and longer than the previous iteration? The old cartoon may not have been memorable form an entertainment point of view and was showing its age, but it did the job succinctly.
flygirl68 and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
New video shown today. It should be noted that the one on youtube is a cut of the one shown on the plane.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:47 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Just returned from Lanzarote on a family trip. My 19 year old daughter and friend saw the original comic relief version for the first time and were raving about it. It really brought home the generation gap.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz
New video shown today. It should be noted that the one on youtube is a cut of the one shown on the plane.
Had it on my AMS on Friday. The 2 guys in the gallery reckon that it dangerously misses the safety issue.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Dubh
Had it on my AMS on Friday. The 2 guys in the gallery reckon that it dangerously misses the safety issue.
I suspect that when making the video, BA ensured that it complied with regulatory requirements
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I suspect that when making the video, BA ensured that it complied with regulatory requirements
I'm sure it does, but the safety message does rather get lost amongst the "humour". It gives the impression that BA is more interested in entertaining its customers than providing clear, concise and memorable safety information.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
I'm sure it does, but the safety message does rather get lost amongst the "humour". It gives the impression that BA is more interested in entertaining its customers than providing clear, concise and memorable safety information.
When did the humour aspect creep into these safety videos? I'm pretty certain it wasn't there from the start (on BA anyway). I suppose the idea is that it also serves as a marketing tool; I've noticed the release of these videos gets reported as a 'news' items.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
When did the humour aspect creep into these safety videos? I'm pretty certain it wasn't there from the start (on BA anyway). I suppose the idea is that it also serves as a marketing tool; I've noticed the release of these videos gets reported as a 'news' items.
I mean, it can still be stylish and interesting without trying to be ham-fisted with the jokes. For me, AF has a very cool video that's interesting, gets the message across and couldn't be more French if it were a beret-wearing baguette smoking a cigarette.

BA could easily do something with UK style, though that would probably mean the unthinkable and having some sort of music that isn't Flower Duet.
flygirl68 and newyorklondon like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The new onboard video appears to be shorter than the one it replaces. Less clutter than the first iteration,
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
However - if people are watching it for the entertainment, they will see the safety message - there are definitely people who enjoy these videos. I expect that BA has done enough research to work out whether it is a good choice. Personally I dislike nearly all video safety briefings and like the simplicity of manual / recorded audio , but I know people who think that they are great

Most people on aeroplanes fly very rarely - the number of people travelling frequently and most likely ( I posit ) to get bored and frustrated with it are pretty small

That my foster son remembered about the BA safety video from 7 months ago and was keen to watch it last week, suggests to me that it is successful. I don't like it, but I dislike it less than the old cartoon with the teddy bear
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I dislike it less than the old cartoon with the teddy bear
They could get the movie studios doing anykind of current Brit movie to do the inflight safety video... as an added bonus the production would be for free?

- James Bond (wasn't the 007 franchise associated with BA before? I remember Bond in Golden Eye sleeping in the new BA C)
- Harry Potter
- Paddington Bear

Would be far more entertaining...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
The new one it terrible. David Walliams is particularly annoying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.