Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Personally, I don't like safety videos being longer than they need to be - my foster son likes the BA one ; at least BA only does it ( on flights I have been on of BA ) once ( in English ) - I find the seeing a normal safety video twice ( as on the other 5 flights on this journey to London ) is worse than this
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Personally, I don't like safety videos being longer than they need to be - my foster son likes the BA one ; at least BA only does it ( on flights I have been on of BA ) once ( in English ) - I find the seeing a normal safety video twice ( as on the other 5 flights on this journey to London ) is worse than this
Oh god, hearing the Emirates IFE video so many times just gets grating, especially since it's so unnecessary.

I get safety video in multiple languages, though even if it can be annoying.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
New video shown today onboard a BA flight. I didn‘t hear anyone laugh.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
If the real thing is the same as the preview seen on the web then it is horrendous. IMHO even worse than the old one.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Oh god, hearing the Emirates IFE video so many times just gets grating, especially since it's so unnecessary.
The EK video is minimalist and precise:

I fail to see what is wrong with it?
T8191 and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

The new video is even more obnoxious than the last one until when will they continue using these sort of videos??

On the other hand, I really liked the EK video posted by oliver2002
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkq5MNa5EwA

That it lasts for 7 minutes 18 seconds given that it is done twice - that is hardly minimalist and even longer than the 6 minutes 43 seconds of the older BA one and 5 minutes 52 seconds of the sequel

Manual demonstrations don't last nearly that long - no need for long videos.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Manual demonstrations don't cover a number of topics, there is a reason why that video is 3m39s long. For longhaul flights 7 min is about the time it takes from doors closing to taxi, so its OK to show pure safety related videos. The charity video could be played once the aircraft reaches 10 000ft for example. Lufthansa uses that marker to play a video explaining the flynet/aeromobile internet and gsm service onboard.

Shorthaul should not have a safety video at all. Manual demo during pushback/taxi and off you go.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:58 am

Manual demonstrations don't cover a number of topics, there is a reason why that video is 3m39s long. For longhaul flights 7 min is about the time it takes from doors closing to taxi, so its OK to show pure safety related videos. The charity video could be played once the aircraft reaches 10 000ft for example. Lufthansa uses that marker to play a video explaining the flynet/aeromobile internet and gsm service onboard.

Shorthaul should not have a safety video at all. Manual demo during pushback/taxi and off you go.
Manual demonstrations cover what is needed. I am not sure how it would be better to have a charity video start after takeoff nor why shorthaul should escape having a video
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkq5MNa5EwA

That's not the IFE video.

Followed immediately by:

It's not long, but it's way more annoying especially since I'm usually already watching a movie or show and while I get interruption for safety, the interruption to advertise the entertainment system I'm currently using gets grating. Especially if watching something with completely different pacing and then that music comes on...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
That it lasts for 7 minutes 18 seconds given that it is done twice - that is hardly minimalist.
Mare you suggesting that they should not do it in English or that they should not do it in their home language knowing that many in the Arab world do not speak good English?

Of course one always prefers not to hear a video in a language one doesn’t speak (I too get bored when the QR video plays second time round in Arabic and I don’t get a word) or would avoid hearing it twice if they understand both languages, but it would not make much sense to blame an airline - effectively - for their nationality and their inter nationality.

in short I disagree that a video of 3’ that has to play twice for linguistic reasons that can hardly be circumvented is worse than a video that lasts 6 minutes while it could easily be brought down to 3 on an airline which happens to have the luxury to only need to play it in English. One is a constraint, the other a choice.
T8191 and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:54 am

That it lasts for 7 minutes 18 seconds given that it is done twice - that is hardly minimalist and even longer than the 6 minutes 43 seconds of the older BA one and 5 minutes 52 seconds of the sequel

Manual demonstrations don't last nearly that long - no need for long videos.
I think you're forgetting the fact that BA doesn't need to do a demonstration in a language other than english. If theres a second language that BA needs to present the demonstrations, that'll be 13 minutes and 26 second of Chabuddy for you... not exactly minimalist eh?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
That's not the IFE video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm1-42P7Js0

Followed immediately by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cszwrbYJBg

It's not long, but it's way more annoying especially since I'm usually already watching a movie or show and while I get interruption for safety, the interruption to advertise the entertainment system I'm currently using gets grating. Especially if watching something with completely different pacing and then that music comes on...
a pity that they have to change to old one to this though. They could at least put Arabic subtitles, but I could already think of disagreement from some people...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I can think of numerous languages that ‘Global BA’ could incorporate, thereby providing a Safety Brief that could last all the way to destination.

Indeed, there are a few UK city destinations that might need a multi-lingual safety demo, and that wouldn’t be Arabic
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:41 am

The US carriers and BA have the luxury of running the demo in english only, other carriers do a mix of english, home and destination. Lufthansa longhaul runs english subtitles to the German demo and then repeats in the language of the destination. SAS regional does the manual demo in one of the 3 scandic languages and gives a summary in English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.