Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:30 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I actually think the way the message is portrayed this time is better - more straightforward, more decisive. It’s really just a case of how much of the Director interaction makes it in this time - the Director’s Cut really isn’t the best indication of what we’ll end up with on board.

If it’s as much as last time the message will be lost. If it’s cut back I think this will be an improvement.

I certainly don’t feel the need to complain through any medium quite yet.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
This has now been published on the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...-safety-video/ I hadn't seen it previously and think it is almost as bad as the previous version
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:41 am

The spitting of the drink at the end is disgusting. Revolting. Awful. I really hope that bit is cut.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:07 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ptr120
This has now been published on the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...-safety-video/ I hadn't seen it previously and think it is almost as bad as the previous version
It might be in the end this ends up as an improvement, but I'm somewhat more concerned by the quote from Carolina Martinoli at the end of the article, which is directly lifted from the BA Press Release:

“Our first video was seen by customers nearly 25 million times so it’s a great way to promote Flying Start, our global charity partnership with Comic Relief. Thanks to our generous customers and colleagues we’ve raised over £19 million for Comic Relief over the past eight years and we hope this video will help us to grow our total even further, as we support great causes at home and around the world.”

The press release goes on to add:
"Flying Start saw a 20 percent increase in donations to Comic Relief after the release of the first safety video."

Everything we see about both these video launches concentrates on Flying Start. The safety aspect of the quote merits merely a single sentence.

Whatever we end up with, I can't help but feel someone, somewhere, has the emphasis and definition wrong.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And this ‘pumping’ to a captive audience, at the expense of a proper safety video, ensures that I will not give one penny to Flying Start ... however commendable the cause might be.

There are many other charities that receive our donations, but not this one.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:53 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
The aims are laudable, but I disagree with the means. Call it chugging, because that's basically what it is.
flygirl68 and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Like others I think I prefer this one to its predecessor, well the version I saw in the BA press centre release at any rate, but wasn't a fan of just how long the charity bit at the end went on for. If you want to make a flight wide PA about it go ahead as I can choose to ignore it if I want to. Having it rammed down my throat for nearly a minute is abit much imho.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Chabuddy G is *still* not funny. Also, agree with the "chugging" comments.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Before the old one disappears, I’ve spotted another difference between the normal version, and the 787 one;

In the Gillian Anderson part, the word “about” (there are no aliens about) is only in the subtitles in the latter version.

(It’s the little things in life.........)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Blimey, amazing that a new video (that the majority of people in CE pointedly ignore) is causing such a stir
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
The parts where the "famous" people are being a bit serious and imparting actual safety information are fine, good even. If they could just cut all the rest which really isn't that funny it would make for a decent safety video.
flygirl68, T8191, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:57 am

Surely the correct time to do the flying start bit is after the pilot has given their "Just Begun Our Descent spiel" CC could then play a proper charity video, such as the 2 minute ones on Comic Relief, could maybe have a variety of options. I would imagine more likely to have higher donations and also ensure the safety message isn't diluted. Can't be right to have such a long safety video just for the sake of charity donations.
wrp96 and jerub like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
I confess to liking this one more than the dire first one. Especially when they're being rude to Chabuddy G. It'd still be better without him, mind.

And I still think this video will confuse non-UK folks...
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Surely the correct time to do the flying start bit is after the pilot has given their "Just Begun Our Descent spiel" CC could then play a proper charity video, such as the 2 minute ones on Comic Relief, could maybe have a variety of options. I would imagine more likely to have higher donations and also ensure the safety message isn't diluted. Can't be right to have such a long safety video just for the sake of charity donations.
The descent charity videos are a bit of a straw that broke the camels back with my mood on some flights. I've tried to stay positive for a 10 hour flight, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on whatever entertainment content I have left, just really really want to get off the aircraft, through the airport and to my hotel ASAP, and I get subjected to a charity appeal.

Front-loading it is the right thing to do, do it before people are grumpy. But maybe do it after take-off? Or visibly-distinct from the safety video?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
This is even more of a farce than the first one - I know it is not charity and all, but heck, even the QR FC Barcelona thing is less annoying than this one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.