Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SonicStar817
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 777 (all variants). Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

The following triple-seven seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference.

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
777 = 777-200ER (77M, 77R, 77J, 77L,77S, 77T) and 777-300ER (77G)
77W = 777-300ER (77H and 77G (occasionally))

Type 77M 777-200ER
Refurbished four class: 8F 49J 40W 138M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-RAES G-VIIA G-VIIB G-VIIC G-VIID G-VIIE G-VIIF G-VIIG G-VIIH G-VIIJ G-VIIK G-VIIL G-VIIM G-VIIN G-VIIS (15)
Refreshed 2010 First, 2019 CWS, 2010 WT+, 2018 WT (10 abreast) and Thales IFE

Type 77R 777-200ER
Refurbished four class: 14F 48J 40W 134M
G-VIIV G-VIIW G-VIIY (3)
2010 First, 2006 CW, 2018 WT+/WT (10 abreast) and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Three class 777-200
Type 77L 777-200ER
Refurbished three class: 48J 40W 184M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-YMMG G-YMMH G-YMMI G-YMMJ G-YMMK G-YMML G-YMMN G-YMMO G-YMMP G-YMMR G-YMMS G-YMMT G-YMMU (13)
2019 CWS, 2018 WT+, 2018 WT (10 abreast) and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Type 77S 777-200ER
Refurbished three class: 32J 48W 252M
G-YMMA G-YMMB G-YMMC G-YMMD G-YMME G-YMMF (6)
2006 CW, 2018 WT+/WT (10 abreast) and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Type 77T 777-200ER
Refurbished three class: 32J 52W 252M
G-VIIO G-VIIP G-VIIR G-VIIT G-VIIU G-VIIX (6)
2006 CW, 2018 WT+/WT (10 abreast) and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Four class 777-300
Type 77G 777-300ER
Four class: 14F 56J 44W 183M
G-STBB G-STBC G-STBI (3)
2010 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WT+/WT and Thales IFE

Type 77H 777-300ER
Four class: 8F 76J 40W 130M
G-STBA G-STBD G-STBE G-STBF G-STBG G-STBH G-STBJ G-STBK G-STBL G-STBM G-STBN G-STBO G-STBP (13)
2020 First, 2019 CW, 2018 WT+/WT and Panasonic eX3 IFE

Related threads:

A guide to BA's 777 fleet
LGW & LHR selected 777s go 10-abreast (3-4-3) in Y 2018 onwards
New BA First Class? [8F configured Boeing 772]
Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 777

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dselvan
HI, We have option of 1A/B and 1J/K outbound. BA automatically put us into 1J/K. That was the reason I was asking whether it is worthwhile moving since 1A/B is still available.
Hope that makes sense.
Personally I would choose A but there isn't much in it to be honest. The A seat would have the sun coming through half way into the flight and there is more traffic in that aisle.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by frankied
Hoping that someone could help shed some knowledge on this question for me please, will be taking the family to Orlando in July this year and booked in WTP and totally confused by the seatmap especially on the return leg !!

Below is the seatmap below for the outbound leg, showing 52 seats in total which I take it will be on one of the densified 777’s ?.
Correct, but I wouldn't bet the farm on this, LGW doesn't have much spare equipment so there could easily be late changes.
Originally Posted by frankied
Below is the return leg seatmap, showing in total 40 seats, this would indicate it would be one of the four class 777’s from Gatwick (14F/48J/40W/124Y) however the seat row numbers don’t match. Also, not seen BA put the four class 777’s on the Orlando route.
They won't sell First, they may let CW passengers sit in First and get CW service there, see various threads about FLUB. However unless this is a IT error on the seat numbers, I can't place this particular 777. The numbering suggests 32CW, 40 WTP and rather a lot in WT. It may be the G-YMMx series, which has crew rest facilities and so 32J 48W (or is it 40W?) 256 WT rather than 252. And of course it may be that BA are using a hybrid map so that if they have to do an aircraft swap it minimises trouble, at worst there would be an extra WTP row.

There was this inconclusive discussion on the main LGW thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post30690935

Unless @george77300 has anything to add here?

And just to re-iterate the high possibility of an equipment change.
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct, but I wouldn't bet the farm on this, LGW doesn't have much spare equipment so there could easily be late changes.

They won't sell First, they may let CW passengers sit in First and get CW service there, see various threads about FLUB. However unless this is a IT error on the seat numbers, I can't place this particular 777. The numbering suggests 32CW, 40 WTP and rather a lot in WT. It may be the G-YMMx series, which has crew rest facilities and so 32J 48W (or is it 40W?) 256 WT rather than 252. And of course it may be that BA are using a hybrid map so that if they have to do an aircraft swap it minimises trouble, at worst there would be an extra WTP row.

There was this inconclusive discussion on the main LGW thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post30690935

Unless @george77300 has anything to add here?

And just to re-iterate the high possibility of an equipment change.
While very nice of you CWS to think I have some knowledge about BA you don’t. It isn’t the case!

Yes it seems that the YMMx series are going to have a slightly different configuration to the VIIx in terms of WTP and WT so possibly two new (very slightly) configurations coming soon with one currently under refit in Cardiff (G-YMMC). This is due to different lavatory or crew rest or something. I think the three class was losing 4 WTP in return for 4 WT. Showing (32J 48W 256Y). No doubt the four class could be slightly different in the YMMx to the two VIIV/W currently done.

It seems we might get YMMC out soon. No doubt these config will show themselves too. Not much more to add really.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by george77300

I think the three class was losing 4 WTP in return for 4 WT. Showing (32J 48W 256Y). No doubt the four class could be slightly different in the YMMx to the two VIIV/W currently done.
OK, well thanks, I guess we will find out more as we go forward. My suspicion is re-inforced that this is a hybrid seat plan designed to avoid problems later on. LGW has done this before when it put out a seat map which prevented people from choosing seats that may not actually be on the aircraft. So showing this as 32J, 40W prevents problems if it ends up as 48W or 52W or indeed a Flub'd 40W.
rockflyertalk and george77300 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi there

Thanks for the replies - glad its not me going mad and not finding the obvious seatmap but maybe a slightly different configuration with a few less WTP seats and more WT seats

Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
That flight at the moment is a refurbished 3 class 777 so it will have newer seats and upgraded IFE.

A look on ExpertFlyer shows row 42, 43 and 44 JK free so personally I'd choose 43. They're pairs so no one next to you but you'll be last off the plane. However if your quick once off and walk briskly it's sometimes amazing how many other people you can waltz by. IIRC exit seats (row 32) open from 14 days out for payment but I'm not 100% sure on that to be honest.

Row 29 seems to be a standard seat but on the old mid J 747s 29A and K have extra room so maybe that's what your thinking of perhaps? If so that's not applicable as no BA 747s fly from Gatwick.

For info here are the details from EF at the moment.

BA 2273
LGW - 05/11/19 4:55 PM
JFK - 05/11/19 7:55 PM
Daily
69% / 30m

J9 C9 D9 R9 I8 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9
M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9

Enjoy your trip and first visit to the US of A!

Pete
cheers for that Pete
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:57 am

Just checked in to BA 227 to ATL tomorrow, will be flying 777-300ER. I was assigned 28A, was happy with that. Can I be moved to another seat if there is a passenger with infant that need a bassinet seat?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by jamcoley
Just checked in to BA 227 to ATL tomorrow, will be flying 777-300ER. I was assigned 28A, was happy with that. Can I be moved to another seat if there is a passenger with infant that need a bassinet seat?
The BA227 to ATL for tomorrow is showing as a 777-200 on ExpertFlyer and ba.com doing a dummy booking.

Your seeing row 28 as a bulkhead in Manage My Booking?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've been lucky enough to upgrade into CW on a LAS-LGW flight. I know this is known as being an old plane - 77S I think from above - so despite my limited expectations of terrible IFE, etc, I'd just like to get some sleep prior to arrival.

Currently in 2G, not really sure what else to play around with here having never flown it before. I'm not a big fan of backwards flying, don't want to be in same row as galley/lavatory really, so main query is how 11A/K fares I s'pose (despite backwards facing)?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Currently in 2G, not really sure what else to play around with here having never flown it before. I'm not a big fan of backwards flying, don't want to be in same row as galley/lavatory really, so main query is how 11A/K fares I s'pose (despite backwards facing)?
On a night flight I would go for 5A first, then 11A, then 11K, though they are pretty much equal. I prefer to sleep with my head above my feet, so I'm happy with the window seats. If you really want a forward facing seat, I would suggest 11B, D or J. 11D is a wild card since if it stays open then you have an empty seat next to you and since there is someone in 11F it's unlikely a parent + toddler would go for it, but it is a risk. Row 11 doesn't see much traffic in flight being the end of the cabin, and separately staffed from WTP/WT.

Depends a bit on how full the service is, how far off it is and so on. If it stays half empty and I had status I may want 4F if 4E stays empty, having a 2 seat "suite" is rather good, having had it recently!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hello all,
I'm flying in Y LHR-BLR on Saturday on the 48J / 24W / 203Y 777. I've nabbed 24F as it's one of the two pairs and relatively far forward. TS has kicked in and on ExpertFlyer I can see that 24E has been blocked, but also some other further forward seats have become available. What does row 24 actually consist of? Are 24E and F actually both aisle seats or does something block where 24D would be? Is it a bit like that magical seat on the A380 that is actually next to an escape hatch - or is it part of the toilet or something and so if I end up with someone next to me they'll be trapped in?

My experience with TS has been exclusively one of having the seat next to me being blocked until literally 20 minutes until boarding - so I'm not holding my breath! If 24E isn't in fact an aisle seat I'd much rather move forward...

Thanks!

Last edited by Alibarber; Apr 10, 2019 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If memory serves me right and I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that version there is a 24D and it's a 'normal' economy seat but it's a crew seat (think jump seat) with equipment to the side of it so while it shows as a pair its actually a row of 3 with the toilets behind you.

Paging @Can I help you or any other staffer or anyone to confirm this?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Not sure if this is the best thread, but in F does the service (assuming front to back) start on both aisles simultaneously?

The only time I've flown on the RH aisle side was on a 12F configuration with the crew rest area, and I recall it started from the other aisle only (but I could be mistaken...) I will be travelling with a colleague and, whilst I have the choice of 1A & 1K, his only option is 4K, being non-status. I thought I might at least fly on the same side of the aircraft, although its probably not that material and I am more concerned about not being able to get my choice of meal!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I recently flew JFK-LGW on a 777 in seat 1J. Seat was comfortable, it wasn't too noisy near the galley, I was able to sleep for a few good hours, and food and service were actually excellent! Seat is a bit narrow but at 6'0 180 I was totally fine. Imagining a larger person would find it tight.
I do have a comment/question about seating assignments. What a headache.
I'd booked an AA codeshare on the BA metal flight, so I realize sometimes that's not as smooth, but this was ridiculous:
1) Booked this last October. Couldn't book any seat at all (in paid J!) until a week out, as a then-Bronze (Now Silver). First time ever, even on awards, that I couldn't pre book a paid (or mileage, for that matter) business class seat.
2) Booked online seat 4A a few days out.
3) Checked 2 days before flight and saw "no seat assignment" on the BA app, so I went back in and of course all windows were by then taken.
4) Called BA and asked about it. Was told "your travel agent pre-booked 2F (rear facing middle seat!)" and she couldn't see anything else. Then she called the "seating department" who told her that I'd gotten 1J (?).
5) I said I booked directly with AA and never chose any seat. Offered 1J and took that.
6) At check in for LAX-JFK, AA said I'd have to get seat assignment from BA. Ended up getting 1J when arriving into JFK.
7) When AA also couldn't tell me if the BA flight was delayed (it was) because "it's not an AA flight", I realized this "partnership" doesn't work as well as the DL/KL/AF one in terms of seating, codeshares, etc. Also, connecting between AA and BA at JFK is terrible, unlike DL where there are shuttles between airside terminals, you have to actually leave security, take the air train, and go back through security etc.
Is that a correct statement, or did I just have bad luck choosing a seat on this BA flight?
Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
2) Booked online seat 4A a few days out.
3) Checked 2 days before flight and saw "no seat assignment" on the BA app, so I went back in and of course all windows were by then taken.
4) Called BA and asked about it. Was told "your travel agent pre-booked 2F (rear facing middle seat!)" and she couldn't see anything else. Then she called the "seating department" who told her that I'd gotten 1J (?).
5) I said I booked directly with AA and never chose any seat. Offered 1J and took that.
Booking AA (which uses SABRE) and then flying BA (which uses Amadeus) can cause all sorts of issues since the interface between the two systems is quite clunky. It wouldn't surprise me if it looked like a TA booking by the time BA saw the reservation, not that it explains 2F, since the process is similar: a separate GDS interfacing into Amadeus. Row 1 may well have been held back for Gold cardholders, or Theoretical Seating may have kicked in from a neighbouring seat. Now you are Silver, and so long as you book ideally on BA and with a bit more notice, you shouldn't find it so problematic. Mostly my seat reservations stick. 4A may have gone technical or perhaps there was a temporary equipment change that let to reseating for some passengers, we are unlikely to ever find out.
kyushuman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.