Search
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
British Airways
Boeing 747 seat maps

For zoomed in views of each cabin, jump to posts 2 to 5
Print Wikipost

Boeing 747-400. Which are the best seats?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019 | 2:58 pm
Original Poster
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
40 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Arrow Boeing 747-400. Which are the best seats?

Image credit: Sacha Schroeder

There's still life in the old lady yet and this is a new thread dedicated to your Boeing 747 seating questions and recommendations

The passenger layouts are categorised in two configurations: the 74S or "86J" or "Super high J" or "14F 86J 30W 145M" and the 74V or "52J" or "Mid J" or "14F 52J 36W 235M". Seat maps have been produced for both types and are provided below according to each of the four cabin classes. The maps are as detailed you'll find in the public demain but they are a product of best endeavours and as such, I must admit, are not absolutely perfect

Detailed breakdown of the 747 fleet (15 April 2020)

MMB code 74S: G-BYGA G-BYGB G-BYGC* G-BYGD G-BYGE G-BYGF G-BYGG G-CIVF G-CIVH G-CIVR G-CIVS G-CIVV G-CIVW G-CIVX G-CIVY G-CIVZ
2010 First, 2006 CW, Refreshed 2000 WT+/WT, Panasonic eX3 IFE and .air WiFi (16)
* BA100 BOAC heritage livery

MMB code 74V: G-CIVD G-CIVJ G-CIVK G-CIVL
2010 First, 2006 CW, Refreshed 2000 WT+/WT and upgraded TES IFE (4)
MMB code 74V: G-BNLY§ G-CIVA G-CIVBºG-CIVC G-CIVE G-CIVO G-CIVP G-CIVT G-CIVU
2010 First, 2006 CW, Refreshed 2000 WT+/WT and Panasonic eX3 IFE (9)
§ BA100 Landor heritage livery
º BA100 Negus heritage livery

Note: the entire 747 fleet has now been withdrawn from service with aircraft retirements starting on 18 August 2020

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 18, 2020 at 5:29 am Reason: Fleet update
Old Oct 26, 2019 | 3:00 pm
Original Poster
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

First

Here is the seat map of the First cabin - note the layout is essentially the same on both types (74S and 74J), with the former illustrated below.

Row 1 is usually blocked and until online check-in opens can only be selected by Executive Club Gold card holders (and oneworld equivalent card holders). The block extends to passengers travelling together with Golds without exceptions. All suites feature buddy seats.

A bassinet is positioned at seat 5F at the rear of the central grouping

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 18, 2020 at 5:30 am
Old Oct 26, 2019 | 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Club World

Upper Deck: seat map applies to both 86J (74S) and 52J (74V) configurations. While the seats are standard throughout, some are of special interest due additional space available at the end of the foot stools but no matter where you choose to sit, the quality of light afforded to upper deck passengers is simply unparalleled- obviously not to be enjoyed during overnight flights.
  • 60B offers 1" extra space
  • 60J offers 1.5" extra space
  • 62A and 62K effectively offer unlimited space. Your feet can get rather cold if the seal in the door isn't perfect
  • 63B has a shield, and no extra space at all.
  • 63J offers an extra 3" between the footrest and the back of the crew seats
  • 64A effectively offers unlimited space, but does get some noise/light from the galley
  • 64K offers 3" extra space and shielded by the washroom from the galley

74S (86J) Main deck
Forward cabin located between doors 1 and 2
  • 12J offers an extra 3" of space. While an aisle (and thus normally less desirable for sleeping owing to light and noise), it is unusually private with no foot traffic and only a little noise from the F galley
  • 13D has a shield but there is around 1" between the footrest and the shield
  • 14A offers an extra 2"
  • 14E and 14F offer an extra 1". Would be more but the bassinet intrudes into the footspace slightly
  • 14K offers an extra 2.5", slightly more than 14A.
  • 13B and 13G do not offer extra space. They have a shield around the foot stool which wraps around one side and 3/4 of the end of the seat.

Rear cabin located aft of door 2
  • 17B, 17D, 17G, and 17J foot stools have the wraparound shield
  • 18A, 18K, 19A, and 19K have window blanks
  • 21B, 21D, 21G and 21J foot stools have the wraparound shield

74V (52J) Main deck
Cabin located between doors 2 and 3
  • 17B, 17D, 17G, and 17J foot stools have the wraparound shield
  • 18A, 18K, 19A, and 19K have window blanks
  • 20E and 20F offer an extra 2". The bassinet intrudes into the footspace slightly
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 18, 2020 at 5:31 am Reason: Update Mid-J with BA's latest code for this type
Old Oct 26, 2019 | 3:08 pm
Original Poster

World Traveller Plus

BA's 747s feature the original Recaro World Traveller Plus seat, introduced in 2000 with the majority refreshed from 2016 featuring new upholstery, power, and inflight entertainment system. The seat itself is 18.5 inches wide, with rows spaced 38" apart. All World Traveller Plus seats offer a full standard recline

74S cabin
With a seat count of 36, this is an intimate cabin. The cabin is located between doors 3 and 4, with a dedicated washroom immediately aft of seats 35JK. There are four additional washrooms located at the rear of the aircraft shared with World Traveller passengers. All aircraft have been refurbished and feature the Panasonic eX3 inflight entertainment system and equipped with wifi.

74V cabin
Located between doors 1 and 2, this 36 seat cabin is somewhat land locked so mid flight strolls are constrained to the WTP cabin itself. At the time of writing, eight of this type have received a full refurbishment (with the) new Panasonic eX3 IFE and LED lighting, six have had a refresh comprising reupholstered seats but with the older IFE system retained, plus one still flying in its original condition. This aircraft, G-CIVB, is due for a full refurbishment next month. None of the 74V aircraft are equipped with wifi.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 18, 2020 at 5:31 am
Old Oct 26, 2019 | 3:09 pm
Original Poster

World Traveller

All World Traveller seats on the 747 are 17.5 inches wide with rows spaced 31 inches apart. All seats offer a full standard recline

74S cabin
The cabin is located between doors 4 and 5, with four washrooms located at the rear of the aircraft shared with World Traveller Plus passengers. All aircraft have been refurbished and feature the Panasonic eX3 inflight entertainment system and equipped with wifi.
74V cabin
Split into two cabins, World Traveller runs from doors 3 to 5, with two washrooms at door 4, and four at the rear. At the time of writing, eight of this type have received a full refurbishment with the new Panasonic eX3 IFE and LED lighting, six have had a refresh comprising reupholstered seats but with the older IFE system retained, plus one still flying in its original condition. This aircraft, G-CIVB, is due for a full refurbishment next month. None of the 74V aircraft are equipped with wifi.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 18, 2020 at 5:32 am Reason: Update Mid-J with BA's latest code for this type
Old Oct 27, 2019 | 6:27 am
Original Poster