Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dean_West
There's a choice:

Option 1: delay the priority queue and everyone in it.

Option 2: keep the priority queue moving and put the slow people in the normal queue that has more desks open to deal with everything. One clogged up desk in the priority queue is going to slow things down more than one clogged up desk in the normal queue.

Option 3: have a dedicated queue and desk for problem solving to keep both queues moving.

At the absence of option 3 I pick option 2.
Or (like the US document check) you have a priority line and a 'normal' line, and desks that are not tied to a specific queue - they just take the people in the priority line first and fill-in with people from the normal line.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:11 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I don't care if they met the rules to be entitled to the priority queue. Their doings were selfish. They weren't flying on until the next day yet they still felt the need to slow everyone down. They should have gone in the normal queue where there are more desks open. The priority queue should be kept moving.
Obviously as statusless less-than-worthless scum I should just keep out of the airport full stop.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
There's a choice:

Option 1: delay the priority queue and everyone in it.

Option 2: keep the priority queue moving and put the slow people in the normal queue that has more desks open to deal with everything. One clogged up desk in the priority queue is going to slow things down more than one clogged up desk in the normal queue.

Option 3: have a dedicated queue and desk for problem solving to keep both queues moving.

At the absence of option 3 I pick option 2.
I sense you'll fit in well on FT!

Welcome to the FT world, and the BA Forum!

M
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
This is exactly why one should be borne from the lounge to the boarding gate by sedan chair, preferably accompanied by trumpets and cymbals heralding your arrival....
Calchas, GaxxyFlyer and bhbloke like this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:45 am

Saw some interesting tactics at Lhr 5 yesterday. Boarding desks at far end of the terminal. Two zig zag lines, priority and economy. Screen displayed the 'please take a seat sign' . Couple of passengers ignored and went up to the desk only to be told to zig zag their way back to the seats. Along comes one suit with his carry on luggage and laptop bag. He enters the priority zig zag line but stops half way to the desk facing the window and nonchalantly starts looking at his mobile. Lol , he made sure he avoided being told to zig zag back. Shortly after, another suit followed but kept a few metres distance between him and first suit. A few minutes later the line was full up with suits before boarding was announced. Well , half way to the desk at least.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Saw some interesting tactics at Lhr 5 yesterday. Boarding desks at far end of the terminal. Two zig zag lines, priority and economy. Screen displayed the 'please take a seat sign' . Couple of passengers ignored and went up to the desk only to be told to zig zag their way back to the seats. Along comes one suit with his carry on luggage and laptop bag. He enters the priority zig zag line but stops half way to the desk facing the window and nonchalantly starts looking at his mobile. Lol , he made sure he avoided being told to zig zag back. Shortly after, another suit followed but kept a few metres distance between him and first suit. A few minutes later the line was full up with suits before boarding was announced. Well , half way to the desk at least.
I see this regularly. It's the 'I'm queuing, but not queuing, cos if I was queuing I'd be near the desk, but everyone has to wait behind me' group.
Travlur likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
This chap:

Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:42 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I don't care if they met the rules to be entitled to the priority queue. Their doings were selfish. They weren't flying on until the next day yet they still felt the need to slow everyone down. They should have gone in the normal queue where there are more desks open. The priority queue should be kept moving.
Their 'doings' would only be selfish if they decided to have visa issues deliberately of their own accord. As it was out of their control, I don't see how their actions could possibly been selfish.

Perhaps BA could have paused the checkin of one of the non priority points while this was ongoing until the priority queue is cleared, but I don't see how this couple can be held responsible for something out of their control.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cymro
This chap:

What do you reckon the odds are of him being Bronze? Surely you're less likely to be upgraded if its empty.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:02 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
What do you reckon the odds are of him being Bronze? Surely you're less likely to be upgraded if its empty.
He's an ITN reporter - award winning apparently.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
He's an ITN reporter - award winning apparently.
Never heard of him!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
On the zig-zag placeholders:

Not quite sure what the guy is being accused of here. If he has the relevant status then the Priority lane is where he should be !

I do sometimes find myself getting to the gate early and hence to the #1 spot and it's true I tend to hang around the entrance or a few paces inside.

I'm not sure why really, it's nothing to do with being sent back to my seat - if a BA person was to suggest to me that I should go and sit down I would just say "no thanks" and stay where I was... I am not 6 years old
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Never heard of him!
and not related to the late Brian Hanrahan either -
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Fitch

Not quite sure what the guy is being accused of here. If he has the relevant status then the Priority lane is where he should be !

I do sometimes find myself getting to the gate early and hence to the #1 spot and it's true I tend to hang around the entrance or a few paces inside.

I'm not sure why really, it's nothing to do with being sent back to my seat - if a BA person was to suggest to me that I should go and sit down I would just say "no thanks" and stay where I was... I am not 6 years old
No idea what zig-zag placeholders are - but people are entitled to stand wherever they like.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch

Isn't this behavior generally described as "gate lice"? Or is that description reserved for steerage pax who hang around before their line is called?
IAN-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.