Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
But I would still have had to go to SJO right?
In the case of a "simple" return booking, then yes you would still need to have traveled to your final destination (albeit via an alternate route). For more complex itinerary's (open-jaw, multiple one-ways etc), then you can potentially invoke the "trip in vain" clause of AA's CoC to allow you to skip legs, and still claim ORC for the entire itinerary.

Wozza2404's earlier reply was correct, in that only time is the issue here. If your timelines meant that any IRROPS would render the MR unfeasible then this is, unfortunately, a painful reminder of the need to have alternate routes and/or sufficient time.

Also FWIW your suggestion to the Agent that they can "send you anywhere" wouldn't have achieved anything, since AAgents are only empowered to reroute you to your ticketed destination. A change in destination would be handled as an exchange, with the value from your original ticket being offset against the current pricing for your new destination... which given it was on the day of departure would likely be substantially higher!

As you say it's all done now, hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say. Hope your next MR goes rather smoother!

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
He may have been right; I don't know exactly how AA deal with ORC, if they do at all. Unfortunately for you, you were talking to the wrong person. Whilst that information may well be correct for crediting to AAdvantage, it is incorrect for crediting to BAEC; though understandably the agent wouldn't have known that.
Just to answer this, AA do indeed have their own version of ORC. However it is very similar to BAEC's, so far as I'm aware there is no requirement for maintaining the same number of legs. I've successfully made claims to AA in the past where this wasn't the case.

Last edited by dakaix; Apr 24, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
With DUB-HNL being around £1,700 now without any additional costs - it would probably be around £2,000

Even at 50 visits to LHR is it really worth £40 "per visit" for a better lounge and First Wing.
No of course not, but if you were thinking about spending a few thousand on a nice holiday somewhere, then directing your other half towards a destination that'd help out your TP balance would certainly be a logical decision

And who wouldn't fancy a trip to Hawaii?!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:15 pm

With DUB-HNL being around £1,700 now without any additional costs - it would probably be around £2,000

Even at 50 visits to LHR is it really worth £40 "per visit" for a better lounge and First Wing.
Many ways of looking at it, for example the ability to open any flight for double avios and extra economy seats for Golds can be invaluable for RFS peak season redemptions.

I saved over £700 last summer alone on these redemptions.

If you wanted to go to hawaii anyway, and Gold would save you £700 then I'd say £1000 for a business class ticket to hawaii was a bargain. You'd get upwards of 30,000 avios too which has value.

That said, if you have a way of generating 4 BA companion vouchers over a 2 year period - GGL is where it's at for the jokers.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, AB Gold, Iberia Plata, Best Western Rewards Platinum
I have actually had cancellations and delays work to my favour. On a last delayed flight (all in J) from the LAX, I missed my connection from the east coast to LON. But before we left LAX I had already asked the gate agent to rebook me on the next available flight. And then we got delayed in LAX more, and he had to move that as well. Then when I landed in NYC, the gate agent had a orange envelope with new boarding passes. So I just boarded the flight in the orange envelope. Turned out I got 140 for LAX-NYC and then From NYC to LON i got awarded 140+140+140. I didn't complain really.

It's happened in partner flights as well. I have done no shows on 49 Euro Vueling flights from Mad-Ams and got Iberia Avios and tier points equivalent posted as well, without even going on the plane. And funny enough, they were FULL fare equivalents.

My suggestion is never cancel your flights. The moment you cancel them, you lose all grounds of appeal and compensation.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well yes. Think about how premium you would be.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Bumping this-- anyone?
Even if not, a very useful thread for me to read.
Thanks to the contributors!
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I'm Silver, earning year ends June 8th. I won't have many TPs. But starting the new earning year June 9th, I want to get Silver again if possible.

Ex- South America?
I will be in South America in July-- any TP runs there from EZE/GRU/GIG? Business Class fares ex-South America are obscenely expensive.

Ex- South Africa?
It's quite reasonable to get from South America to South Africa, so am open to any TP runs that originate in "Za" or nearby.
I like that I could get my 4 BA flights using the BA South Africa (Comair) flights....

Thanks for any ideas!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by InsanityBeckons
Thanks guys, was afraid that was the rule.
In that case, I'm in need of 970 Tier points by Jun 8th - Somehow I doubt I'm going to fit that in. Already have 14 flights booked, but all short haul still.
Hmm, maybe a week off to do a Tier points run is in order? Else stick to Business Class all next year.
with that number of flights, have you considered Optiontown? if they are all over the place then it might be difficult but if there are lots to the same destination its brilliant.

if you take the 4 hour option you get 40TPs for each return. Gold in no time.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
The AA agents will not know (in detail) how the BAEC system works.

I know someone who had a 14 sector journey, got IRROPed early on, then it ended up being 8 sectors, and obtained full ORC. Needless to say they were very happy
That sounds like me a few weeks ago on my *attempt* at a PTY run @rossmacd however I'm still awaiting my ORC....so fingers crossed it comes good for me too! Although I'm still not sure being stuck at LAS overnight, no hotacc & awake for ~38 hours non-stop was worth it
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver (clawing back to Gold!), Honours Gold, IHG Platinum, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by mkcol
That sounds like me a few weeks ago on my *attempt* at a PTY run @rossmacd however I'm still awaiting my ORC....so fingers crossed it comes good for me too! Although I'm still not sure being stuck at LAS overnight, no hotacc & awake for ~38 hours non-stop was worth it
Stuck at LAS? I'd cope with that... 15 mins from the strip and all the fun!

Hoping to squeeze in a mini-break (4 nights would do) TP run to LAS this year, but not sure the fares will be forthcoming.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, AB Gold, Iberia Plata, Best Western Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by leachster
with that number of flights, have you considered Optiontown? if they are all over the place then it might be difficult but if there are lots to the same destination its brilliant.

There is no OptionTown for BA flights? Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, BA Silver, Europcar Executive VIP
Originally Posted by leachster

They are on just a couple of routes. Just looked and this seems too good to be true, about 50% saving on what I've been paying for economy seats.
If I take the 4 hour option, for the 40 TPs, it still lists me as an Economy Seat. Is that correct?
Has anyone else here used this? Are there any pitfalls?

Last edited by InsanityBeckons; Apr 25, 2017 at 8:41 am Reason: Correction
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
If I take the 4 hour option, for the 40 TPs, it still lists me as an Economy Seat. Is that correct?
Currently this is only available for Economy, however the Freedom Pass option (4hr) books into the higest economy TP bracket; so earning 20 or 40TP depending on the route.

Has anyone else here used this? Are there any pitfalls?
The BA Flight Pass (via OptionTown) covers most European routes. See this FT thread for much more discussion on it.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, BA Silver, Europcar Executive VIP
Thanks for that. Looks like I was making the same mistake as plenty of others and the pricing is per flight, not return - sounds obvious now - so savings are minimal as I book well in advance.
I'll take further discussions on the other thread for this.

Appreciate the tip though everyone.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: B A Gold
Hi the clever ones ..... Anyone able to find me a deal ? Thanks to great advice on here earlier in year managed to get my first Silver with a Tallinn TP Run.

I now find myself needing to be in Chicago for any time during the day on Saturday 28th Oct and not leaving before late 20:00 hrs on Tuesday 02nd Nov '17. I can if needed travel out a day or so before and return a day or so later to give more flexibility in scheduling. I am looking to keep price down and maximise TP but have no idea where to start or how to book. Live close to LHR and LGW and prepared to do Ex Eu with overnights in EU or US if need be. Ideally business or first.

Anyone with suggestions ? Please feel free to post or PM me for more details or information if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Bumping this-- anyone?
Even if not, a very useful thread for me to read.
Thanks to the contributors!
If your profile is up to date, and you're still based in MSP, then you're much more likely to find good TP runs from there than from South America (where, as you have said, business class fares are high and the opportunities to earn TPs quite low). There are a lot of suggestions for North America-based runs further up this thread, and getting the 600 TPs you need to retain Silver would be neither difficult nor very expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.