Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Yes, that's why I'm unsure. But I was supposed to have a 20 hour layover including an evening in London which has now been wiped out as well as non refundable car hire and hotels which will be lost. Now, my Amex insurance may well cover those, but it is still a PITA.

They have given no reason, just a text message to go to MMB and accept the rebooking, which when I tried to do does not actually show any choice in the matter.

All a bit shoddy really.
Ask BA to put you on an earlier flight from AMS instead of later? 1445 BA2761 for example.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

... does not actually show any choice in the matter.....
That's not in accordance with Article 8.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They have given no reason, just a text message to go to MMB and accept the rebooking, which when I tried to do does not actually show any choice in the matter.

All a bit shoddy really.
Yes, I can see what you are getting at there, though some of us are grateful that option exists at all: it never used to be available, and with mass irrops it could be very frustrating, often impossible, to sort something out. Ideally the App would indeed list several options, as happens with Plus Fares, but rest assured, if you call BA other options are available to you.

As for what you could do, and this isn't EC261 related, but if you accepted the late AMS service and then used a taxi to get to LHR, you would get at least £50 of that back, on the basis that it was now too late to use public transport. Having said that, public transport is now operates 24 hours a day between those airports.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I called the gold line and they claimed to have no information on why the flight was cancelled.

Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Ask BA to put you on an earlier flight from AMS instead of later? 1445 BA2761 for example.
They did offer but we arrive in AMS on separate tickets at 14:25. Plenty of time for the booked flight but not that one. Nothing else to LGW until 21:15

Originally Posted by richardwft
That's not in accordance with Article 8.
No, it's not. I called a different agent and now rebooked on Saturday to LHR instead of LGW to connect straight on to our ORD flight at 15:45. (Via the CCR, of course

We have abandoned our plans for a night out tomorrow, cancelled the hire car and hotel and booked a hotel at AMS instead. A probably un-claimable €200, thanks BA. Hey ho, could be worse.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I called the gold line and they claimed to have no information on why the flight was cancelled.
Crew shortage at LGW is what I was told.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Crew shortage at LGW is what I was told.
So they've taken Eurofleet to plug gaps due to the MF strike and it's backfired ?

So, to return to my original question. If I specifically booked Friday AMS-LGW with an overnight stop and an onward flight the following afternoon from another airport (LHR), is the cancellation of the first flight relevant for EU261 purposes. Is the difference between a transfer (<24hours) and a stopover (>24hours) as airlines define it relevant for EU261 ?

I assume probably not, but wanted to ask the forums opinion.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

So, to return to my original question. If I specifically booked Friday AMS-LGW with an overnight stop and an onward flight the following afternoon from another airport (LHR), is the cancellation of the first flight relevant for EU261 purposes. Is the difference between a transfer (<24hours) and a stopover (>24hours) as airlines define it relevant for EU261 ?

I assume probably not, but wanted to ask the forums opinion.
That was why I prefaced by earlier reply with the question on whether it was one booking. The wording of the Regulation doesn't make a precise distinction on this, but if it got to court I'm sure the airlines would have plenty of evidence to say you are connecting and therefore it's not 2 trips here. If connecting it's the arrival time that matters. Ironically, if you had been rebooked on to an earlier flight from AMS to London, then you would have had a claim at the 50% rate, so long as it was more than an hour earlier. I actually see this as the Regulation acting as intended. I can see from your perspective it got in the way of your plans at the London end, but that's consequential losses which airlines don't normally cover in any circumstances.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That was why I prefaced by earlier reply with the question on whether it was one booking. The wording of the Regulation doesn't make a precise distinction on this, but if it got to court I'm sure the airlines would have plenty of evidence to say you are connecting and therefore it's not 2 trips here. If connecting it's the arrival time that matters. Ironically, if you had been rebooked on to an earlier flight from AMS to London, then you would have had a claim at the 50% rate, so long as it was more than an hour earlier. I actually see this as the Regulation acting as intended. I can see from your perspective it got in the way of your plans at the London end, but that's consequential losses which airlines don't normally cover in any circumstances.
Yes, it's first world problems that I'll miss the night out planned tomorrow and spend it in Amsterdam instead. It does irk me to hear it is because of crew shortages which to me basically means poor planning by BA has screwed me up and I have little to no comeback. But as I said before, there are worse things.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it's first world problems that I'll miss the night out planned tomorrow and spend it in Amsterdam instead. It does irk me to hear it is because of crew shortages which to me basically means poor planning by BA has screwed me up and I have little to no comeback. But as I said before, there are worse things.
I've had further clarification on the crew situation at LGW: it's not so much they are short staffed, it's more to do with the French strikes, which have a heavy impact on flight timings from LGW, e.g. ACE-LGW 2 hours late on Thursday, ditto the BCN services. The AMS service on Friday is the only cancellation, so far.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Sure, I assume the same. The Saturday night arrival of BA1336 should have been 1845, flight stats reports it arrived gate at 2010. Thats only 1hr 25 min late. Not that major. The sunday morning departure of BA1321 was 0750. I have no idea what rest time is needed but surely 12hrs is enough. On arrival at check at 0630 I was told out right there is a 2hr delay on the flight due to crew rest.

What concerns me is Saturday the 11th was one of the strike days. So could they use this as an excuse not to pay me? Strike knock on effect?
If the previous duty exceeded 12 hours,then crew rest would be the same as that duty.So it may well exceed 12 hours,and is non negotiable.Enforced by the CAA.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:03 pm

Does the Regulation cover industrial action?

I'm due to fly to Tallinn and I received a text message about an hour ago to say that my AY flight between HEL-TLL is cancelled due to a strike.

Palmer

Last edited by Palmer; Mar 9, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Strikes are specifically listed as extraordinary, so not much joy.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek
No worries. Thank you for your quick response.

I checked alternative flights and I called Finnair. They've moved me onto a later flight. All done within a few minutes, as you can see.

Palmer
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vbroucek
including strikes by airlines' own employees and employees of others who have a principal-agent relationship with airlines?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:38 am
Suspended

....un-claimable €200, thanks BA. Hey ho, could be worse.
If you can spend them, ask for a stack of Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.