Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
How long does BA take to get back about these things, and what do they usually offer? Do you normally have to go round the houses to get the cash when they have proactively offered forms? Do they usually offer Avios in the first instance? If so, that would seem preferable to me under the circumstances.
It can take anything from 48 hours to 6 weeks to hear from BA, I suspect it will be in the 2 or 3 week range in your case. If the delay was over 4 hours and purely technical then BA may well just pay up. You can read how much compensation you will get via the posts at the top of the thread, in your case 600€. There are too many things that could go wrong with forms filled on board, so personally I'd make a claim via the online form, again more information at the top of the thread. By law the EC261 payment is made to the passenger, not to the payee, but it may be your business has internal rules about who benefits from that.

Avios are seemingly offered as an alternative to cash with EC261 proposals, and a lot depends on how you value Avios as to whether it is preferable or not. The rate of exchange from cash to Avios is not that amazing so you would probably need to get at least 1.5 pence value per Avios on average, or ideally 2p or more, to make that the better option, or it helps run alongside a 2-4-1 voucher that is pending.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It can take anything from 48 hours to 6 weeks to hear from BA, I suspect it will be in the 2 or 3 week range in your case. If the delay was over 4 hours and purely technical then BA may well just pay up. You can read how much compensation you will get via the posts at the top of the thread, in your case 600. There are too many things that could go wrong with forms filled on board, so personally I'd make a claim via the online form, again more information at the top of the thread. By law the EC261 payment is made to the passenger, not to the payee, but it may be your business has internal rules about who benefits from that.

Avios are seemingly offered as an alternative to cash with EC261 proposals, and a lot depends on how you value Avios as to whether it is preferable or not. The rate of exchange from cash to Avios is not that amazing so you would probably need to get at least 1.5 pence value per Avios on average, or ideally 2p or more, to make that the better option, or it helps run alongside a 2-4-1 voucher that is pending.
Thanks, both - that's really helpful. I must have misread the amount of compensation due - I thought it was 400 for sectors under 3,500 miles. I will certainly read the above and submit an online claim. We do usually use Avios on a 241 at some point, but hard cash would definitely be better.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I thought it was €400 for sectors under 3,500 miles.
3,500 kilometres, and LOS-LHR is just under 5,000 km.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, AA PlatPro, VS Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Got a cancellation recently on a ET flight. I was notified the evening before and put on another flight leaving just after it to a relatively close alt destination reachable by train. Filed a claim online to be told the cancellation was due to "airspace restriction", hence no compensation is payable.
I have no reason not to believe that the response is accurate but is there anywhere one can check what said restriction is in what way it affected the carrier's operations? I am not aware of any strike on the day.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
3,500 kilometres, and LOS-LHR is just under 5,000 km.
Ahh - silly me! Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I have no reason not to believe that the response is accurate but is there anywhere one can check what said restriction is in what way it affected the carrier's operations? I am not aware of any strike on the day.
You can use the date concerned and go through FT or thebasource to work out if there (e.g.) fog or high winds concerned. Anything other trivial restrictions tends to get mentioned here, certainly at the London end.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:46 am

You can use the date concerned and go through FT or thebasource to work out if there (e.g.) fog or high winds concerned. Anything other trivial restrictions tends to get mentioned here, certainly at the London end.
Thanks! For the date in question thebasource simply mentions the flight as one of the few cancelled ones with no mention of weather, restrictions or anything else. Simply that the flights in question did not operate. Hmmm.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Could you provide the date/flight?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Yes, I was probably over-subtle there!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
BA332, 10 March
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
BA332, 10 March
That's to Paris (always a good idea to give the route, memorising the entire schedule is tricky even for me!), and yes there were French ATC strikes on between 6 and 10 March.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-mar-17-a.html
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
That's to Paris (always a good idea to give the route, memorising the entire schedule is tricky even for me!), and yes there were French ATC strikes on between 6 and 10 March.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-mar-17-a.html
While I assume that means no compensation is due, doesn't BA have the obligation to get the OP to their original destination, and hence a train claim isn't unreasonable?

However if he/she was put on a CDG flight instead of ORY then I suppose BA might argue that as they got him/her to Paris, then they met the obligation of getting them to the original destination.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Good afternoon all.

Rare poster and I think I know the answer is going to be a no to this, but I was just wondering whether I could expect compensation for the following situation.

On Wednesday morning I was scheduled to fly out of LCY to AGP at around 8:30. After about an hour and a fairly obvious delay, it turned out the flight got cancelled. I assume it was due to fog but they didn't actually tell me why when I asked at the desk to get rebooked, especially as the fog completely cleared up by around 9:30, by which time I had been put in a taxi and re-booked on a service from LGW to AGP via BCN.

My original arrival time was approx 12:00, but due to the cancellation and re-routing ended up being approx 19:00. Rather than flying with BA and/or Iberia, I was booked with Vueling so therefore had no lounge access in BCN either. Inevitably this resulted in having to purchase lunch and coffee throughout the day, as well as dinner on the last leg because I knew I would have to get a 3 hour coach from Malaga to my destination and miss an opportunity to eat otherwise.

Is there any way I could expect any compensation regarding this? I understand the policy regarding weather etc. so I assume it's unlikely, but figured I'd check either way. I'm not really frustrated at having to pay a bit of money for lunch and dinner (though it would be nice to get something back for that) - more that I missed a meeting I thoroughly intended to be at, wasted a day, and had a very early morning and late night despite being both jet-lagged and unwell.

Edit: Actually I had one other question regarding TPs and Avios - as my flights were changed to Vueling, can I be expecting to actually get these - or could I put in a claim for missing ones to BA?

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
While I assume that means no compensation is due, doesn't BA have the obligation to get the OP to their original destination, and hence a train claim isn't unreasonable?

However if he/she was put on a CDG flight instead of ORY then I suppose BA might argue that as they got him/her to Paris, then they met the obligation of getting them to the original destination.
It's a bit unclear in the OP. S/he asked about compensation, an Article 7 issue, which seems unlikely from what we know. But yes, Article 8 - rebooking/refunding - and Article 9 would potentially apply depending on the details. And context/details matter somewhat: if the train was the only viable route I personally believe that fare is refundable. If BA is operating to CDG and it is just the passenger's desire to take the train, then I would say the passenger is stuck with a refund only.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arnie.
Is there any way I could expect any compensation regarding this? I understand the policy regarding weather etc. so I assume it's unlikely, but figured I'd check either way. I'm not really frustrated at having to pay a bit of money for lunch and dinner (though it would be nice to get something back for that) - more that I missed a meeting I thoroughly intended to be at, wasted a day, and had a very early morning and late night despite being both jet-lagged and unwell.

Edit: Actually I had one other question regarding TPs and Avios - as my flights were changed to Vueling, can I be expecting to actually get these - or could I put in a claim for missing ones to BA?
I think one key issue about EC261 I would really underline, is that under Article 9a BA is liable for any reasonable expenditure for food and drink with delays in excess of 2 hours. I personally think it is against BoB too. However this is effectively against invoices - you have to pay something and reclaim it. Though I haven't seen evidence on the BoB side, nevertheless I do know that BA pays for Article 9a without much quibble.

For the wider customer experience issues, which isn't an EC261 issues, then I think the best thing is for you to decide what is the appropriate compensation for this, perhaps in Avios terms. Then pursue BA for it. Now CR will only offer around 5k for this, but there are a variety of other channels open to you to pursue this, and so long as you are reasonable you have every chance of success.

For TPs and Avios, that shouldn't be problematic, just ring up and ask for the original routing credit (ORC). I wouldn't send a form in, I would call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.