FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:20 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
So, to return to my original question. If I specifically booked Friday AMS-LGW with an overnight stop and an onward flight the following afternoon from another airport (LHR), is the cancellation of the first flight relevant for EU261 purposes. Is the difference between a transfer (<24hours) and a stopover (>24hours) as airlines define it relevant for EU261 ?

I assume probably not, but wanted to ask the forums opinion.
That was why I prefaced by earlier reply with the question on whether it was one booking. The wording of the Regulation doesn't make a precise distinction on this, but if it got to court I'm sure the airlines would have plenty of evidence to say you are connecting and therefore it's not 2 trips here. If connecting it's the arrival time that matters. Ironically, if you had been rebooked on to an earlier flight from AMS to London, then you would have had a claim at the 50% rate, so long as it was more than an hour earlier. I actually see this as the Regulation acting as intended. I can see from your perspective it got in the way of your plans at the London end, but that's consequential losses which airlines don't normally cover in any circumstances.