Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Time like that can often be made up for on flights over 4 hours.
It also depends on the reason for the late departing aircraft.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Club to Economy Downgrade BA0155 LHR-CAI

Hi folks,

I had the misfortune of being downgraded on the aforementioned flight. I was given an £300 prepaid card at the gate.

I booked this as a reward flight and paid 62500 avios and £295.57 for the return journey.

I've read that this means that I have to be recompensed 75% of the avios and taxes paid. This is 46875 avios and £221.68.

I rang BA today about this and spoke to someone from the refund department. He was only prepared to recompense me 21250 avios, which is the difference between business and economy (one way).

Am I right to insist on being paid the correct amount? If so what do you reckon is my next best option?

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You mentioned talking to Refunds. Did you specifically mention EC261? And did you sign for anything at the gate, in respect of the card?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
it is not 75% of the total cost of the ticket (£ and avis) but 75% of the cost of the sector.

Taxes and fees are not included in the calculation.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You mentioned talking to Refunds. Did you specifically mention EC261? And did you sign for anything at the gate, in respect of the card?
Yes I did when they gave me the card. Is that alright? :/
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
Yes I did when they gave me the card. Is that alright? :/
Thanks, I will do the sums once I get off this flight and can check the details, but on the face of it, and assuming the higher figures are for the return flight, this may be an example of where BA's normal refunds are more generous than EC261.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:12 pm

Thanks, I will do the sums once I get off this flight and can check the details, but on the face of it, and assuming the higher figures are for the return flight, this may be an example of where BA's normal refunds are more generous than EC261.
Thanks CWS. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Straight forward LHR-CAI-LHR so easy to proportion the initial cost of the downgraded outbound sector (unlike on multi-leg flights) as being 31250 Avios

At least with avios payent for flight, BA can't arbitrarily price the economy as some high last minute high cost bucket economy fare at same/similar cost to a paid business, resulting in peanuts as the fare difference. In fact that is why EC261 needs to specify 75% of sector cost as airlines were cheating as above.

I can actually see the logic/fairness of BA CR person simply refunding avios difference between J/Y classes, which to me is equitable, but not correct under EC261 guidelines.
If EC261 calc is more generous than BA offered, as appears at first look, then push for EC261 value ?

If 75% downgrade compensation is applied that would be 75% of 31250 = 23427, so 2000 avios more due under EC261 ?

I'd wait for CWS to work it out refund due to you though, as kindly offered in above post.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

I booked this as a reward flight and paid 62500 avios and £295.57 for the return journey.
Right, back on terra firma with proper interwebery. I seem to recall it was a full downgrade to WT, not WTP, which makes a difference on taxes. One interesting feature is that CAI is only just over the long distance sector for 75% base reimbursement, had they placed CAI airport on the other side of the city you'd be in the 50% area, since the BA mileage is 2187 miles = 3519 km = 19 km into the 75% bracket.

So the current costs of this are nearly the same as the figure quoted by you, 62500 Avios and £299.85. Genuinely most of this is tax, only £85 is BA carrier charges even in Club World.

What I believe you should receive back is:

Avios: 31,250 Avios (one way CW) x 0.75 = 23,437 Avios (that's the easy bit).

Cash: I'm going to assume the £299 figure rather than the £295 you paid, we will just knock you back a fiver at the end. Of that your tax component is £214, £85 is BA surcharges. By flying one way in WT (WTP would be different), the tax component goes down to £139 (BA surcharge being £71 gives a total of £210). There are several ways to calculate the next step, but the worst figure from your perspective is to say £299-£139 = £160 x 0.75 = £120. A higher, but arguable, figure would be (£71 * 0.75) + (£299-£210) = £142, so that gives you the area we are working in. Then we knock off the fiver. So let's say for argument £115, you could push for an extra £25. There are still harsher figures available, given this takes a charitable view of the fact that this is calculated on a return basis - actually we should reduce it for being a single leg affected.

And BA have offered you £300 and 21250 Avios, a shortfall of 2,187 Avios.

So that was why I asked what you had signed for at LHR when you got the cash card, and it's not clear to me what that was: if it was purely customer remediation then you're slightly down on Avios and BA owe you £115 approx. If - as I rather suspect - the payment was including the EC261 reimbursement component then you owe BA money!

If we say the 2,187 Avios shortfall is worth £35, then BA have given you £150 more than the statutory minimum, which strikes me as a fair outcome. Unless the document you signed in LHR was purely customer remediation - and it said that very clearly - you won't get any further with this, certainly at MCOL level. If you signed nothing then you would still be in a bad place in terms of getting anything more.

The reason for this, incidentally, is that your cash component was relatively low, the taxes a high proportion of it, and the Avios amounts for CW are relatively stiff. All this conspired to mean that BA were more generous than provided for by EC261.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 22, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by scubaccr

At least with avios payent for flight, BA can't arbitrarily price the economy as some high last minute high cost bucket economy fare at same/similar cost to a paid business, resulting in peanuts as the fare difference. In fact that is why EC261 needs to specify 75% of sector cost as airlines were cheating as above.
The change to the reimbursement being 75% of the sector cost (excluding taxes and fees) was a court determination. Previously it just said ticket price.

The reimimbrsement was always based on the ticket the person bought and never on the fare difference. EU261 was always clear about that.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:59 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I have a theoretical question, something that I mused about while I was on the phone with Opodo. Rules for compensation in case of cancellations change depending on whether you were notified less or more than 14 days before departure.

Let's assume you hold a booking and one flight is cancelled. Let's assume you have been notified of the cancellation more than 14 days by a third party service you are using (MyFlights or CheckMyTrip) and the airline/OTA do not inform you at all.
If you just let it go, then you are informed of the cancellation during check-in and you pursue this in justice. Does a MyFlight notification count as a valid notice more than 14 days prior to departure ? Or will a judge consider that the communication has to come from the OTA/Airline and not from a third party tool monitoring the GDS ?
The Regulation says two things in this area:
- the "inform" piece doesn't say precisely who does the informing, and after all in many cases it would be the travel agent acting on a communication from BA.
- on the other hand in the event of a dispute it is the airline's responsibility to prove that the passenger was informed.

So someone making a claim could say the airline didn't inform us, and then the airline would presumably struggle to give that proof, or will prove that they told the travel agent and they didn't communicate it to the passenger (in which case it is still the airlines' problem).

However I can't say I'm comfortable with this: the intent of the Regulation is to allow you to make an informed decision about what to do well before travel, and though it's clearly the airlines' responsibility to do this, if you find out via another channel then it seems to me to be disingenuous to claim the remedy. Now most people wouldn't use these Apps, and their rights are thereby protected, but if you do find out before travel then typically you are better placed to rearrange your travel accordingly. Now I should clarify this entire paragraph is just my view, a judge may well limit their questions to the details of the previous paragraph.
Originally Posted by fransknorge
As I said, this is a theoretical question. I am not comfortable with accusations of lowering myself to cheating, as you have no information about what I did or intend to do. I would appreciate apologies.

Thanks to CWS for the detailed answer which goes in the same direction as I thought. This is an interesting loophole.
Anyway I have a booking , travel is in May, one segment is cancelled and I was put on one 2 hours later, marked as Waitlisted on the Amadeus record. I got a MyFlight notification. I let a few working days slides so that the Opodo system catched up and then proceed to rearrange the travel two days ago. To my surprise the MMB part of the Opodo website has no record of the change and list my original booking as Confirmed and OK, with no options.
The German website has a phone number: it let to an infinite loop menu, that ultimately tell me to check my booking online.
I called the 24 hour emergency number which redirect to an indian call center. The agent can see the cancellation and re-booking on the later flight, but inform me this flight is fully booked and thus I have no seat. For him this is the end of story and tough titties for me.
While I waited for someone from the rebooking department to pick up, I mused about the above scenario. I now had spoken to another person in India who told me they applied for a confirmation with the airline and I have to wait 10 days before knowing if I have a seat on the later flight.

We will see but I am not optimist. Officially I am still not informed by Opodo. I usually do not use OTA but this was the only way to get this ticket.
An update: i managed to get rebooked on a suitable flight after the cancellation of one segment, the ticket is reissue, all is fine.
This was not painless though and at some point I thought I would have been better off "cheating" and waiting for the day of the flight to get my compensation. It tooks three hours and five phone calls, a couple of threat using EC261 (lack of notifications, rights when cancellation):
1. First refuse to rebook me as they claim the flight was not cancelled
2. Then when cancelled said that the next flight being full, there is nothing they could do and I had to keep my cancelled tickets
3. Then when finally accepting that they had to find a flight, refuse to put me on my first choice despite availability
4. Then finally did it

I am happy this is solved and now I look forward to this trip, but oh boy sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:51 am

Thank you for the comprehensive analysis!

With regard to the £300 prepaid card. I believe it was given to me for customer relations remidiation. The agent at the desk said it was separate to whatever compensation I was to receive. Having said that I did sign for it, without really reading it. Unhelpfully, I've also managed to leave the bit of paper that I signed in the last hotel room that I stayed at. The refund agent that I spoke to on the phone did not mention it once, so I'm crossing my fingers that it was just for customer relations remediation.

Having said that, if I were to pursue the higher compensation, should I just use the customer webform, and quote article 3.1 and 10 of the EU261?

Right, back on terra firma with proper interwebery. I seem to recall it was a full downgrade to WT, not WTP, which makes a difference on taxes. One interesting feature is that CAI is only just over the long distance sector for 75% base reimbursement, had they placed CAI airport on the other side of the city you'd be in the 50% area, since the BA mileage is 2187 miles = 3519 km = 19 km into the 75% bracket.

So the current costs of this are nearly the same as the figure quoted by you, 62500 Avios and £299.85. Genuinely most of this is tax, only £85 is BA carrier charges even in Club World.

What I believe you should receive back is:

Avios: 31,250 Avios (one way CW) x 0.75 = 23,437 Avios (that's the easy bit).

Cash: I'm going to assume the £299 figure rather than the £295 you paid, we will just knock you back a fiver at the end. Of that your tax component is £214, £85 is BA surcharges. By flying one way in WT (WTP would be different), the tax component goes down to £139 (BA surcharge being £71 gives a total of £210). There are several ways to calculate the next step, but the worst figure from your perspective is to say £299-£139 = £160 x 0.75 = £120. A higher, but arguable, figure would be (£71 * 0.75) + (£299-£210) = £142, so that gives you the area we are working in. Then we knock off the fiver. So let's say for argument £115, you could push for an extra £25. There are still harsher figures available, given this takes a charitable view of the fact that this is calculated on a return basis - actually we should reduce it for being a single leg affected.

And BA have offered you £300 and 21250 Avios, a shortfall of 2,187 Avios.

So that was why I asked what you had signed for at LHR when you got the cash card, and it's not clear to me what that was: if it was purely customer remediation then you're slightly down on Avios and BA owe you £115 approx. If - as I rather suspect - the payment was including the EC261 reimbursement component then you owe BA money!

If we say the 2,187 Avios shortfall is worth £35, then BA have given you £150 more than the statutory minimum, which strikes me as a fair outcome. Unless the document you signed in LHR was purely customer remediation - and it said that very clearly - you won't get any further with this, certainly at MCOL level. If you signed nothing then you would still be in a bad place in terms of getting anything more.

The reason for this, incidentally, is that your cash component was relatively low, the taxes a high proportion of it, and the Avios amounts for CW are relatively stiff. All this conspired to mean that BA were more generous than provided for by EC261.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the comprehensive analysis!

With regard to the £300 prepaid card. I believe it was given to me for customer relations remidiation. The agent at the desk said it was separate to whatever compensation I was to receive. Having said that I did sign for it, without really reading it. Unhelpfully, I've also managed to leave the bit of paper that I signed in the last hotel room that I stayed at. The refund agent that I spoke to on the phone did not mention it once, so I'm crossing my fingers that it was just for customer relations remediation.

Having said that, if I were to pursue the higher compensation, should I just use the customer webform, and quote article 3.1 and 10 of the EU261?
Article 3.3 and 10, but I don't think that specifically matters, you're just claiming the reimbursement (not compensation) as per EC261. Since it's not compensation, I would be terribly surprised if you're able to exclude the £300 already received, but yes, fill in the relevant form online. However I think doing that would automatically mean you are willing to take it further to CEDR or MCOL if it comes to that. I don't exactly rate your chances - except perhaps on the Avios amount - realistically I doubt you will get any further with BA internally.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:36 pm

Thanks CWS.

Webform sent.

Also I've just noticed that I've been reimbursed for the lesser amount of avios mentioned, and have not had any cash reimbursement yet.

Will let you know how I get on. Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Time for BA response

Jan 27: BA 193 LHR-DFW delayed > 4 hours (cargo hold mechanical fault) so had to re-plane and then had to overnight in Dallas before onward AA flight to TUS next morning. BA paid for hotel + meals.
Jan 28: Claimed E 600
Mar 15: BA offered E600 or 50,000 Avios
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.