Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by dsf
Why don't they at least offer some of the "brewed specially for M&S" beers? Heineken or Old Speckled Hen and that's it?
Oh yes, agree 100%. I was a little excited when this was all announced that at least I'd be able to purchase a decent craft ale on board, but with Old Speckled Hen, they've somehow managed to provide a worse offering (in my opinion) than Tribute which is available now.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
How did you pay for the ticket? A UK issued credit card?
Yes, BA Amex. What are you thinking?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
okay, yup, that makes more sense now.

So theres a clear distinction and putting paying seprately in addition to the base fare to one side, bands 1 and 2 appear better off and bands 3 and 4 worse off.
with the food you are correct. But with respect to the drinks everyone is worse off. Even those who don't drink booze will end up paying a fiver more for two cups of tea that were previously in the fare. I think that they would have got away with it if they charged for food but had kept drinks (or even some drinks, free). As it stands there is now absolutely nothing to distinguish them from a LCC.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lioneye
In which case I would go down the Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, for changing the terms of your service after booking. Amex should be less stressful than the MCOL process and hopefully the same outcome. Give them a call and discuss it with them.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I've received the following reply...........

Thanks for coming back to us about the refund of your prepaid seating. I apologise for the delay in response.

I'd like to inform you that, as you have cancelled your booking there is no refund due for the prepaid seat charge. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

My instinct is to let the small claims court decide the issue. Does anyone have any precedent or advice?

No 'personal precedent' but I would offer some advice, FWIW.

BA will stand their ground here, comforted by the feeling that they are fully covered by their published Terms & Conditions relating to Paid Seating :

"Paid seating will not be refunded if you cancel your flight, are involuntarily upgraded or are not suitable to sit in the seat type you have selected."

They also make reference to this in their 'Seating Refund Form' (which is to be used for claiming what they deem to be justified refunds for seat fees).

Worth remembering, however, that just because a commercial organisation includes certain T&C's in their dealings with customers does not automatically mean that such terms will be upheld by the Courts. Over the years, many rulings have been made - in all manner of business sectors - in favour of claimants where a Court takes the view that the Terms at issue are "unfair".

I'm no legal expert - but I understand that these sort of disputes were very often covered by the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. This piece of legislation no longer exists BUT most (?) of its core principles survive in the newer Consumer Rights Act 2015, which is concerned with contract law in England.

Judges have been known to take some pleasure in exercising their discretion in making awards against large, high-profile organisations and thus in favour of a Joe Bloggs consumer (as it were !).

So ..... if you feel strongly enough, then perhaps worth telling BA that if they remain unwilling to refund the seat fees under your particular circumstances, then you will pursue legal avenues to recover your £72.

For their part, BA may choose to back down and thereby avoid the potential publicity surrounding the whole BoB background which gave rise to your cancellation in the first place.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Genius1
Just remember that although the cabin crew are the 'face' of the company for passengers inflight, it is not their fault!
very true, and people's reaction should certainly not be personal. However they certainly are not only the 'face of the company' as you rightly point out, but more importantly, a natural communication channel from passengers to HQ, and as such, I think that if you are indeed unhappy about the change, making sure that crew know politely but certainly is perfectly reasonable.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 30, 2016 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Complain to Amex. They'll deal with it faster than a court.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
very true, and people's reaction should certainly not be personal. However they certainly are not only the 'face of the company' as you point out but more importantly, a natural communication channel from passengers to HQ, and as such, I think that if you are indeed unhappy about the change, making sure that crew know politely but certainly is perfectly reasonable.
Of course. We can make our point whilst being polite.

I remember when OS and LX introduced BoB, some people got nasty with FAs. And in the end things got reversed.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
I remember when OS and LX introduced BoB, some people got nasty with FAs.
This is what I, unfortunately, expect to happen.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

....... they certainly are not only the 'face of the company' as you point out but more importantly, a natural communication channel from passengers to HQ, and as such, I think that if you are indeed unhappy about the change, making sure that crew know politely but certainly is perfectly reasonable.
+ 1

After all, we know that BA are big fans of (selective) customer feedback. And - in many cases - the best way for customers to provide it is by expressing one's views whilst actually onboard a flight.

BA were really, really keen to tell us that BoB itself was introduced entirely as a result of feedback : Our customers are telling us that they're less than happy with the current F & B offerings in ET cabins, and would dearly love to see 'improved choice & quality'.

There was of course the minor issue of BA omitting the fact that customers did not go on to say that they would prefer to pay for their refreshments.

I'll go out on a limb here with a prediction (a wild & crazy one, I know.....) : no matter how many people tell CC that they are unhappy with these changes, it somehow won't feature* in any of BA's future pronouncements.

*Or - should I say - it won't for as long as the current regime remains in place.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Which one - people being nasty or things being reversed?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Which one - people being nasty or things being reversed?
Check my quote - people being nasty/aggressive towards the CC. Which, I am sure you agree, is not acceptable behaviour.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:27 am

Check my quote - people being nasty/aggressive towards the CC. Which, I am sure you agree, is not acceptable behaviour.
Absolutely, hence the "". I did notice the shortened quote after I posted but couldn't really be bothered to change my post.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BA6948
Of course. We can make our point whilst being polite.

I remember when OS and LX introduced BoB, some people got nasty with FAs. And in the end things got reversed.
If I remember correctly LX only introduced BOB as Swissair had gone bankrupt and they were losing a lot of money in the first years of their operation and that it was temporary?

At least that was what i was told when I took LX in 2005 and asked the flight attendant = )

Either case BOB was removed once LX returned to profitability after being taken over by LH group.

God help us if BA is not profitable anymore!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

God help us if BA is not profitable anymore!
Like when they finally realise that they cannot operate the same business model as Norwegen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.