Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Usually had pretty good luck when it’s come to having a blocked seat next to me, however on last weekends flights, there was no seat block in place despite the plane not being full and for my upcoming flights this weekend, no seat blocking either - despite EF showingnplenty of other blocked seats.

Who have i upset?!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
I don't think it's vindictive at all. If the aircraft is almost full and a choice has to be made which previously-blocked middle seat should now be assigned to a late check-in then it makes sense to put him/her between two passengers on the same PNR, who will probably not mind sitting next to each other, over two single passengers on different PNRs.
'One' would hope that status would trump non-status though (assuming G=Gold, S=Silver, N=no-status, _=empty) so:
G_S would trump a N_N anytime, G_S vs B-B maybe, G_S vs S_S might be more marginal.

At least the old 767's didn't have this issue!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by CKBA
It would in interesting to know whether the checkin staff see just an empty seat, or if they have to 'override' any blocking. I suppose that spending 8 hours stuck next to the one you love is a good test of any marriage (maybe next time it's separate bookings!).
At LGW in January the check in agent said that there was someone sat between us and moved us, despite it being a TS block.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Usually had pretty good luck when it’s come to having a blocked seat next to me, however on last weekends flights, there was no seat block in place despite the plane not being full and for my upcoming flights this weekend, no seat blocking either - despite EF showingnplenty of other blocked seats.

Who have i upset?!
Maybe a status holder chose to sit next to you before the seat blocks were put in place.

What did EF show at T-72?

Is the seat next to you this weekend occupied or available? is it less than 72 hours before departure?

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 21, 2018 at 7:47 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by S_W_S
At LGW in January the check in agent said that there was someone sat between us and moved us, despite it being a TS block.
With our flight I checked at check-in - and the agent said that someone had put someone between us, but couldn't move us since there weren't any other seat configurations available.... .
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Maybe a status holder chose to sit next to you before the seat blocks were put in place.

What did EF show at T-72?

Is the seat next to you this weekend occupied or available? is it less than 72 hours before departure?
I have no seats blocked next to me for Friday evenings flights.

One is showing as taken, the other as empty (but not blocked). Hoping it stays that way - or better still, blocked, as I’m in the twosome at the rear of the 747 on the second flight.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
That I cannot explain unless for some reason your exec status is not showing on the booking properly
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As commented upthread, that is the wrong approach here. You best sit together rather than split tactically, BA seems to allow middle seat sales when people do this on the same PNR. Statistically you best book window and middle if both are Gold. On the other hand you could do window + aisle if on separate PNRs.
With my wife being silver and me being gold on the same PNR, what would be the best approach (if there is one)? Don't care for an exit row but would like to be not too far to the back.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Just wondering what recent experience GCH are seeing in WTP on booking and seeing seats initially allocated before you go in and manually change if so desired?

January SJC to LHR (787-9) I was put (on booking) into the middle seat (a bassinet...yeah keep the laughter down ) of the middle section at the bulkhead? Cabin fairly empty and both adjacent aisle seats showing open but empty. I decided to leave it keeping an eye on EF and ask at the airport why I had been allocated this seat. The check in agent was bemused and asked his colleague, promptly moving me to an empty window / aisle pair.

Up coming LHR to DXB return. I’ve been put into (777) 21B with 21A (bassinet!!) blocked. Return I am in 24A with 24B open to book, seems lots of room on both flights so far on BA/EF.

Last edited by Telecasterman; Mar 21, 2018 at 9:59 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flip42
With my wife being silver and me being gold on the same PNR, what would be the best approach (if there is one)? Don't care for an exit row but would like to be not too far to the back.
In that scenario I'd put myself (Gold) in the middle seat and my partner (Silver) in the aisle or window, close to the front of the ET cabin but not too close to the curtain. That's my policy, and we've achieved a 100% record in keeping the third seat free so far this year.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Had an interesting (and comforting) experience yesterday. I was in exit row ET, with the seat next to me blocked - I'm assuming by TS.

On this journey I was travelling with one of my colleagues, who I needed to spend time with and onboard seemed to be the perfect time to do so, but his assigned seat was about 10 rows away. He's a Bronze as a data point.

I approached the gate staff before boarding was called to see if we could sit together. She confirmed the seat was free but she wasn't able to move him to it as he was Bronze and had to make a call to be able to make it happen (and I heard her confirm that I was Gold before it was released). So it seems that TS holds, even at the gate, without higher authorisation.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:35 am

Like this?

I assume rows 6&7 are blocked to give flexibility for the curtain.

Sorry, still fighting with my tablet.

Last edited by Flip42; Mar 21, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:45 am

Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Given that seat map, that is exactly what I would choose. But keep an eye on it, and if the curtain moves back be prepared to move yourselves back too. I always prefer to keep one row of seats between the curtain and me, just in case of a last-minute curtain move that puts me back in row 25. You might even consider putting yourselves in row 11 right now, which isn't too far back and probably gives you more chance of keeping that window seat free.
Flip42 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:33 am

On that seat map I would either annoy the person on 10E by picking 10F, but as you seem to be two people that will not work for you

or take 12A &B and hope for an aircraft change from an A319 to an A320

Unless I know that we arrive at an airport where we can get off stairs at the back in which case I might pick something closer to the rear
Flip42 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.