Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
You cannot ensure that nobody will get the seat between you

At T-72 the block would have kicked in, I expect that is when you started to see an X in the middle seat, along with a whole load of other blocks.

As more and more people check in blocks start to be removed, so if the flight is busy then someone will end likely up in the middle seat
Indeed. I'm only on my first coffee, so I may well be confused, but isn't the "standard" advice when travelling as couple in a row of 3 to take 2 seats next to each other (window+centre or centre+aisle), with the highest status next to the empty seat

Presumably (?) the logic here is that if the block holds, you simply spread out and leave the middle empty, whereas if the block doesn't hold, you don't end up in the situation of being split and/or having to ask middle to swap.

Corrections welcome (wanders off in direction of more coffee)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Updated to add that it didn't work. Someone was able to choose the middle seat. They were kind enough to allow my wife and I to swap seats.
Never understood why to make these happen (blocking middle seats when plane is not full) is so difficult. I've tried this a couple of times with my travel companion (both Emerald) and it seems we have very bad luck every time, 99% of the time, the seat will be occupied while those others around us will remain empty

What's strange is that these pax who has been assigned the seats (most probably by agents) feels comfortable to just sit in there instead of trying to find a better seat further back on the plane. [if it was me, I would prefer to sit at the aisle/window seat back of the plane rather than be plopped in the middle seat. Only exception would be on my arrival airport I have a short connection to catch.

Cheers!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
except......they're waiting for you to shift!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald

What are the chances of me (as Silver) to snag seat 10D at some point? Will it remain blocked forever (especially as this flight probably won't be full at all)?

Any chance to try charming the agent at check-in to get a blocked seat assigned or is this something that they can't do? Or, if it is still blocked when boarding, does it mean that no one will be sat on it? (Granted, it would be impolite for me to seat in a seat that is not mine, but being quite tall I am still traumatised my the last time I had to sit in a regular ET seat.)

Last edited by thebigben; Apr 19, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
10D on the 319 is often blocked as thats where the Cabin Crew stands during boarding. Thats why when travelling as a couple I plump for the 10 EF seats over the 10 AB seats on a 319 if I want extra legroom
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
10D on the 319 is often blocked as thats where the Cabin Crew stands during boarding. Thats why when travelling as a couple I plump for the 10 EF seats over the 10 AB seats on a 319 if I want extra legroom
Ahhh, that's a great explanation. I'll get 11D and hope, then...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:19 am

In CE tomorrow in T-22hours. Flight is showing: J4 C3 D0 R0 I0 Y4 B2 H1 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S0 G0

I'm in 2D (silver). What are the chances of getting into 1D if flight loads stay the same.

Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Amex Platinum

Any idea why 1D&F are still blocked?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by zeitgeist

Any idea why 1D&F are still blocked?
Are you gold?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:17 am

No. But OLCI is open.

I used to be able to get row one at T-72 but doesn't seem to let me anymore.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
My last CE flights 1AandC were constantly blocked, similar to what you are seeing, but I was able to get 1F
On the flight it seemed the people in 1A and C seemed the be family of the Pilot and or FO
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
My last CE flights 1AandC were constantly blocked, similar to what you are seeing, but I was able to get 1F
On the flight it seemed the people in 1A and C seemed the be family of the Pilot and or FO
The occupant of 1D looked like a businessman doing his PP slides. 1F remained empty.

Maybe things have changed and you need to be gold to get those seats at any time.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by zeitgeist
The occupant of 1D looked like a businessman doing his PP slides. 1F remained empty.

Maybe things have changed and you need to be gold to get those seats at any time.
I selected 1A at T-72 a few weeks ago as a silver (6 hours before my status updated to gold), so I'm not sure that's the case.
zeitgeist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
i too, as silver, selected 1F on my flight ar T-72,

1a and 1c had remained blocked
zeitgeist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:49 am

Does theoretical seating show how many seats are actually left?
Its kicked in for my flight and shows only 2 seats available to buy/select. As a blue on a holiday booking what can i expect to select ?

F1 A0 J9 C1 D0 R0 I0 W6 E0 T0 Y9 B9
H8 K5 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.