Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I am not clear that CWS post says that Gold can choose any seat and no seats are blocked to Golds after TS kicks in.

My experience is that a block next to a gold is a block next to a gold, even for other golds, until the cabin starts to fill.

maybe a gold can post a picture of a cabin seatmap that is has every non occupied seat available to them after t-72 despite apparent status blocks showing in Expert traveller?
Old May 23, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I am not clear that CWS post says that Gold can choose any seat and no seats are blocked to Golds after TS kicks in.
The context of the discussion at the time was were all seats generally available to Golds (bassinets etc as exception) or were those next to Golds blocked off (it had relevance to the intent of TS)

The thread contained reports that sometimes it was not possible to move next to a Gold - so I certainly agree that there seems to be cases where a Gold can block another Gold, but my question was is this universally true from T-72? I don't know - we've got different observations/impressions being reported. More data would be useful

Re-reading some of that thread I can see it is something I actually did check at the time as it was directly relevant to the subject under discussion - it seemed all expected seats (not bassinets etc) were available to me on MMB at T-60 on a flight I was due to take. And I know for a fact there was another Gold in the cabin (his block held, mine - alas - did not, but c'est la vie).

But as I say, I'm not certain what the exact rules might be. You could well be right.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BertieBadger and scottishpoet, I've got this example for you, about 30 hours before departure.

So I'd almost lay money on 3D being a Goldie, and that 3A, B, C, E and F are blocked to everyone except Goldies. I am in 4F and I can if necessary sit in 3E if I so wished but no Silver or below can sit in 3E or next to me. Then have a look at row 5 and 6. Now I think this flight may leave fairly full, though at the moment they have zero'd out all the fare buckets. So it wouldn't surprise me if in fact most of the front middles end up being taken. But at this stage I would say Golds can sit anywhere, Silvers can't get some seats or take a blocked seat, but can block the seat next to them, Bronze and below will get what they are given.

BertieBadger likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by PETER01
FYI and not sure if it's important to you but Row 14 on the 767 has a full window blank if you weren't aware.
Oh. Yes it massively is, and therefore no I very much didn't know haha.

I will be rectifying that tomorrow at the airport for certain. Incidentally seatguru describes it as 'misaligned' but I guess the wording doesn't really matter - you can either see interesting aircraft and clouds out of it or you can't.....

Thanks very much for the heads up.
PETER01 and Egoldstein like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Oh. Yes it massively is, and therefore no I very much didn't know haha.

I will be rectifying that tomorrow at the airport for certain. Incidentally seatguru describes it as 'misaligned' but I guess the wording doesn't really matter - you can either see interesting aircraft and clouds out of it or you can't.....

Thanks very much for the heads up.
If 13 A/K come free they have a window but the seat is in front of it partly but still 'seeable' but 14 is a no no for views as it's a full blank as in nothing as I found out last year on boarding but I should have checked really.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BertieBadger and scottishpoet, I've got this example for you, about 30 hours before departure.

So I'd almost lay money on 3D being a Goldie, and that 3A, B, C, E and F are blocked to everyone except Goldies. I am in 4F and I can if necessary sit in 3E if I so wished but no Silver or below can sit in 3E or next to me. Then have a look at row 5 and 6. Now I think this flight may leave fairly full, though at the moment they have zero'd out all the fare buckets. So it wouldn't surprise me if in fact most of the front middles end up being taken. But at this stage I would say Golds can sit anywhere, Silvers can't get some seats or take a blocked seat, but can block the seat next to them, Bronze and below will get what they are given.

Anywhere ... apparently ... except for 5E ...
Old May 23, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
Anywhere ... apparently ... except for 5E ...
And 10D? The plot thickens.......it's all very confusing this TS stuff

​​
Old May 23, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
That's an interesting seat map and does not reflect what I ever saw when I was gold.

CWS, interesting you cannot pick 10D!! Its blocked in EF rather than occupied but not available to you.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:24 pm

I wonder if 10D and 5(D or F) are Golds hence the block holds next to them

The others are maybe silvers
BertieBadger likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

That thought occured, and obviously supports your explanation if so.

I don't currently have any BA flights until July but I'll try remember to look at T-72 onwards. As I say the only time I appear to have checked, seems I could sit myself next to the other Gold and the cabin wasn't anywhere near full at time of checking, but there may have been other factors at play there......I'm certainly not offering it as anything conclusive.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by PETER01
If 13 A/K come free they have a window but the seat is in front of it partly but still 'seeable' but 14 is a no no for views as it's a full blank as in nothing as I found out last year on boarding but I should have checked really.
13A blocked for a gold by the looks of things. I suspect it's back of the bus or AUP at this rate. And while back of the bus looks to have plenty of availability right now, I know that really the picture won't be obvious until much nearer the time due to non checked in pax.

Hardly the end of the world and I'm sure it'll be sortable.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Possibly, certainly for 10D that would make sense. I was a fairly late booking (today). I've just had another look and not much has changed other than that someone has taken 3F, but it's now 26 hours from departure so not much will change now, until the OLCI comes into play.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hi All

Hoping his is the correct place to ask this;

I am on the BA36 From MAA To LHR on 1st of June.
Seat expert shows 10J available however MMB App shows it as unavailable. See images below. I am BA Silver (not sure if that helps). Why is MMB not allowing me to move to 10J. I am guessing possible BA Gold members yet to book/reserve seat?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by PrivatePilotDR40; May 28, 2018 at 4:39 am
Old May 28, 2018, 4:59 am

Not sure, I am surprised the seat is open in Expert flyer as its more than t-72 so would typically be shown as blocked for golds. Similarly if it was a basinet. Will be nothing to do with Theoretical seating as its not T-72 yet so TS has not kicked in.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks. Is it worth ringing the silver line and seeing if they can move me there? Or is experflyer wrong here?

Last edited by PrivatePilotDR40; May 28, 2018 at 6:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.