Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 2:33 pm

Will seats "allocated" for a family travelling with young children show as Blocked or Occupied in EF after T-72? I checked the seat map on EF around T-60 for an upcoming flight; a number of seats were showing as blocked, but now all of the blocked seats except the bassinet positions are showing as occupied at T-32. No adjacent seats are available or blocked at this time on the seat map. Guess I'll find out in 8 hours if no one responds...
Old May 16, 2018, 3:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Will seats "allocated" for a family travelling with young children show as Blocked or Occupied in EF after T-72? I checked the seat map on EF around T-60 for an upcoming flight; a number of seats were showing as blocked, but now all of the blocked seats except the bassinet positions are showing as occupied at T-32. No adjacent seats are available or blocked at this time on the seat map. Guess I'll find out in 8 hours if no one responds...
I think family seating should show as occupied. But there can be a high turnover of occupied seats in the final hours before departure, so I'm not sure you can read much into this, a lot could change.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback! As it happens, we were assigned exactly which seats I predicted based on the blocked seat map from a couple of days ago. Not only that, they were the seats that I was hoping for. Only have to do this once more.. will be Bronze on our next journey; Silver the one after...
Old May 16, 2018, 11:06 pm

Have a bit of a strange one, DBV-LGW leaving 17:25 today - TS doesn't appear to have kicked in (neither at T-72 or even by T-24).

I'm unable to OLCI for my flight (it says must check in at the airport), I suspect that's the same for a lot of the rest of the cabin as very few seats are showing as allocated. In fact, only 20 are in Y - odd!

Has anyone come across this before? Is this something related to ex-DBV flights?

I'm thinking it's either going to be absolute chockers and no one else can OLCI either, therefore that's why no TS - as when people do check in at the airport all the seats will fill. Or... there's something awry.

Still a reasonable amount of seats for sale: J9 C7 D3 R0 I0 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q9 S9 G9
Old May 17, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by flashware
Have a bit of a strange one, DBV-LGW leaving 17:25 today - TS doesn't appear to have kicked in (neither at T-72 or even by T-24).

I'm unable to OLCI for my flight (it says must check in at the airport), I suspect that's the same for a lot of the rest of the cabin as very few seats are showing as allocated. In fact, only 20 are in Y - odd!

Has anyone come across this before? Is this something related to ex-DBV flights?
Indeed, bit of an odd one that. Looking at the EF map, the only blocks seem to be those in place for "curtain roulette". None in the CE cabin that I could see tho the seats that are allocated are occupied as pairs so that may be why?

It appears to be an airport that only supports local check-in not OLCI (per this post from c-w-s: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29527418-post67.html) so I expect that explains a lot of what you're seeing, but I would still expect there to be some status pax who had pre booked their seats. Perhaps it's a function of the airport as you surmise - maybe one of our resident gurus could confirm/deny this?
flashware likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:04 am

The seat map still hasn't updated and isn't showing as under airport control either but all good, I was in 12A and B and C are both free ^
BertieBadger likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
DBV wasn't under full FLY last year, and is presumably still on the cut-down version. in that situation any pre-booked seating is retained, but the airport has full freedom to put people anywhere, and usually just satisfy requests at check-in, the old fashioned way.
flashware likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Any ideas as to when row 1 will become available?
Bronze status so will be allocating my seats at T-7 days.
Just curious as to whether row 1 will be available at the same time.
BA2676 LGW-PFO 30th May
Old May 20, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Row 1 is usually released at T-72 hrs to everyone else.
SussexFly likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I am giving up hope of ever fully understanding theoretical seating, having seen that the 'explanatory' thread has 64 pages so far.

Clearly as a Gold it is largely operating to my benefit and I am very thankful for that. However the below still baffles me.

BA457, dep tomorrow (so well inside T-72, now inside T-24 so OLCI open). I am in ET, 14A as things stand so it does look like the seat next to me is being protected for the moment.

However I thought that as a Gold I would have been free to move to one of those protected seats if I wished. I am pretty sure I had that ability a couple of days ago (ie pre T-72). Now, if for some odd reason I want to move seats, I don't seem to be able to select anything North of row 21.

So the little Xs in EF for rows 12-20 clearly don't represent quite the same thing as the Xs in 21+.

I guess I'm staying put or maybe considering an AUP as they seem to have stuck the curtain at 9 despite having seemingly quite a lot of CE availability.

Or could this be still something ATC strike disruption related?

Old May 23, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I think this idea that golds can move to protected seats is a misunderstanding

at T-72 protected seats next to other golds will not be available even to golds, until the cabin starts to fill up and seats need freed.

However, there will be other seats not next to golds that are blocked to blue and bronze but will be available for golds.

lets say you are in 2A so 2C is blocked
3 A and C are empty

A gold will not be offered 2C as its blocked for you, they might get offered 3A and 3C. A bronze may only get offered 3C

You have been offered row 22 D E and F there but you see on EF that there are blocks on those seats. Is EF picking up your status correctly? 22J has a block next to it but is available for you so maybe a bronze or silver sat next to there

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 23, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old May 23, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet

at T-72 protected seats next to other golds will not be available even to golds, until the cabin starts to fill up and seats need freed.

However, there will be other seats not next to golds that are blocked to blue and bronze but will be available for golds.

lets say you are in 2A so 2C is blocked
3 A and C are empty

A gold will not be offered 2C as its blocked for you, they might get offered 3A and 3C. A bronze may only get offered 3C

You have been offered row 22 D E and F there but you see on EF that there are blocks on those seats. Is EF picking up your status correctly? 22J has a block next to it but is available for you so maybe a bronze or silver sat next to there
See - my impression has been there's never anything blocked to me.

Whenever I've compared EF and my own view of the seats, I've always seen all blocked seats as available once TS has kicked in.

And I'm "just" a normal gold - not a GGL. When I was a GGL - I didn't notice any difference when I was 'downgraded'.

But I also don't know my CIV ... so maybe there's a 'tiering' inside Gold? But if that's the case - how is it I've watched other seats in the cabin remain blocked and yet the one next to me comes free for someone. I'd have expected if there's a tier which allows me to sit anywhere - it'd put me on the top of the food chain for keeping an empty seat.

Which makes me think there's no such thing.

In Pascoe's case - it could be a couple of different things: It could be a weight/balance thing - that's reasonably common on the 767 (which is what I think we're looking at).
Old May 23, 2018, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Pascoe
BA457, dep tomorrow (so well inside T-72, now inside T-24 so OLCI open). I am in ET, 14A as things stand so it does look like the seat next to me is being protected for the moment.
FYI and not sure if it's important to you but Row 14 on the 767 has a full window blank if you weren't aware.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Even as a Blue I had a blocked seat beside me on the 767 back from Larnaca, which came and went showing as blocked in the shuffle during the final few hours before departure.
I had paid for a window seat for the flight in CE.
I did end up with the seat vacant beside me on a fairly full flight, with only 6 rows of CE.

On the way out, I had no seats purchased, but the seat beside me did also show as blocked after I had checked in.

This was an Avios redemption if it makes a difference.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by scottishpoet

at T-72 protected seats next to other golds will not be available even to golds
Is this universally true? I was under the impression that such seats were not blocked to other Golds, unless there was another reason to do so which could be weight/balance or it could be that the seating has now moved to being under airport control.

This was based on discussions in a previous thread where c-w-s had indicated this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=137

But I was under the impression - perhaps wrongly - that prior to that such seats were not blocked to Gold (as MPH1980s experience might indicate - I admit I've not paid close enough attention since getting my own shinier card)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.