Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I contributed further up threat with my very good experiences as a BA Silver over the past year or so.

I've had my first ET flights as a Gold member (the First Wing is great!) but was disappointed by TS.

Flight 1) Initially selected 4A at around T-72 (after the blocks were lifted). Checking again at T-48 (on EF, hoping for a blocked middle seat), I realized row 4 fell victim to the infamous curtain-shuffle (of which I had been warned thanks to this forum!). Anyway, I didn't do anything and at OLCI, I was automatically assigned 5F. All good. After boarding, row 4 in CE was completely empty (and the CE cabin itself was also). In my row, 5D, E, F were all occupied but on the left hand side of the isle, only 5A was occupied. Result - three people moved left by one seat each and we ended up 2-2, so no problem but I was disappointed by TS.

Flight 2) Emergency exit row, 10F selected well in advance. Similar game, 10A and C occupied as well as DEF. Lots of empty middle seats in front and behind. Fellow traveller in 10E did not appear to have any status.

TS remains a mystery to me!

Last edited by EDDLEGLL; Mar 21, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Thank you Misco60 and scottishpoet.

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
On that seat map I would either annoy the person on 10E by picking 10F, but as you seem to be two people that will not work for you
Well, we could annoy both 10E and 10B.

Unless I know that we arrive at an airport where we can get off stairs at the back in which case I might pick something closer to the rear
it‘s MUC-LHR in about a month.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
Not sure if this question belongs here, since we're well outside of T-72, but I can't think of any other reason this would be going on. I'm booked LHR-HAM and TXL-LHR in CE. On the LHR-HAM flight, EF showed 1AC and all of row 2 occupied and 1DF blocked before I booked; I was able to select 1F for myself (1D was available for me to choose as well). On the TXL-LHR leg, EF showed all of rows 1 and 2 blocked before I booked; I was not able to select any of those seats and instead settled for 4A.

Is there a reason I'm not getting to pick a row 1 or row 2 seat on the TXL-LHR flight? My best guess is that the system hasn't "seen" other GCHs pick a seat there, so as a partner OWE I can't do so. Once someone somehow snags a seat in those front two rows, it "opens" those seats up for those who are eligible. That said, I thought that a partner OWE should see the same seat availability as a GCH in the first place. What gives?
Bumping my question from earlier. Does TS not apply in CE? Either way, it seems odd that I'm able to choose row 1 on one flight but not the other...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Bumping my question from earlier. Does TS not apply in CE? Either way, it seems odd that I'm able to choose row 1 on one flight but not the other...
Same issue, strange. I can select the whole cabin on the way out, but when inbound i can select anywhere besides row1 & 2.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
TS applies in all cabins
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:30 am

TS applies in all cabins
Got it. In this case what gives then? Very strange that rows 1 and 2 are selectively blocked on both my and Flame3601's inbound but not outbound flights.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
What date, flight numbers?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:56 am

What date, flight numbers?
991, TXL-LHR, July 4.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by post 1
from 72 hours before departure seating options will be restricted to enable better seating arrangements for high value customers.
Theoretical seating only kicks in at t-72 hours, so it will not be impacting this flight

The front rows are shown as blocked in EF as it always does until T-72 as these are blocked for BAEC Gold (and I think OW Emerald) until T-72

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 22, 2018 at 1:07 am
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:10 am

Theoretical seating only kicks in at t-72 hours, so it will not be impacting this flight

The front rows are shown as blocked in EF as it always does until T-72 as these are blocked for BAEC Gold (and I think OW Emerald) until T-72
Right, hence my confusion. As a OWE I was able to select row 1 on the outbound LHR-HAM a few days prior (with a few other row 1 and 2 seats already occupied), but not on the return TXL-LHR (with all row 1 and 2 seats unoccupied).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:15 am

not sure but nothing to do with theoretical seating
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Right, hence my confusion. As a OWE I was able to select row 1 on the outbound LHR-HAM a few days prior (with a few other row 1 and 2 seats already occupied), but not on the return TXL-LHR (with all row 1 and 2 seats unoccupied).
Indeed nothing to do with Theoretical Seating, which kicks in at T-72 hours and the rest of this thread then makes sense.

I am able to select any of the 8 seats in the first two rows of this particular flight, and unless I'm very much mistaken I should have the same seating access as any Emerald. So in particular if you are new to Emerald, you may want to ring up to see if you can get these seats. You could try removing your AA number from the Finnair version of Manage My Booking, saving it, re-entering MMB, re-enter your AA number, to see if that works but sometimes that won't work either, hence a call to the Gold line may be quickest.

The T-72 hrs aspect seems to have confused many here, so I'll just put in a mini Wiki to make that aspect a little clearer.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed nothing to do with Theoretical Seating, which kicks in at T-72 hours and the rest of this thread then makes sense.

I am able to select any of the 8 seats in the first two rows of this particular flight, and unless I'm very much mistaken I should have the same seating access as any Emerald. So in particular if you are new to Emerald, you may want to ring up to see if you can get these seats. You could try removing your AA number from the Finnair version of Manage My Booking, saving it, re-entering MMB, re-enter your AA number, to see if that works but sometimes that won't work either, hence a call to the Gold line may be quickest.

The T-72 hrs aspect seems to have confused many here, so I'll just put in a mini Wiki to make that aspect a little clearer.
Thanks for checking! I'm not new to Emerald; I was also able to choose row 1 for both LHR-HAM (outbound) and LHR-JFK (connection from TXL on the return), so the system seems to be picking up on my status just fine. Maybe I'll give the phone a shot--will I be able to call the Gold line as I'm not a GCH though? (Over at AA at least, the IVR system links your phone number to AAdv number and directs your call accordingly, so as a non-EXP, even if you call the EXP line you will be prioritized and routed accordingly.)
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:57 am

Thanks for checking! I'm not new to Emerald; I was also able to choose row 1 for both LHR-HAM (outbound) and LHR-JFK (connection from TXL on the return), so the system seems to be picking up on my status just fine. Maybe I'll give the phone a shot--will I be able to call the Gold line as I'm not a GCH though? (Over at AA at least, the IVR system links your phone number to AAdv number and directs your call accordingly, so as a non-EXP, even if you call the EXP line you will be prioritized and routed accordingly.)
Alternatively, is this something that You First can help with, since the flight in question is connecting to my JFK flight in F?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Alternatively, is this something that You First can help with, since the flight in question is connecting to my JFK flight in F?
Yes you can call the Gold line if you are Emerald but in this case it would probably quicker to give YouFirst a call to resolve.
dkc192 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.