Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
So went to Check in and of course they offered me 8A, the last row of CE and couldn't go higher. Didn't print my boarding pass, checked an hour later, went up to 7A. Will keep on checking every hour or so until the evening when i'll give up, print the pass and just ask at the airport.

Update:

Oh nice, just got 2A!

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Feb 7, 2018 at 2:31 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
So went to Check in and of course they offered me 8A, the last row of CE and couldn't go higher. Didn't print my boarding pass, checked an hour later, went up to 7A. Will keep on checking every hour or so until the evening when i'll give up, print the pass and just ask at the airport.
Row 1 isn't available for BA631 tomorrow.

Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA
Row 1 isn't available for BA631 tomorrow.

Thanks for that KARFA saved me from having to check on expertflyer myself. I will get the boarding pass printed then.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just as a data point I was on an Iberia A340 from LHR to MAD last Friday, in economy, and booked under a BA flight number. TMS worked and I had a set of 2 (KL) seats all to myself on a rather busy flight.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:06 pm

Interesting to see, I booked a last minute EDI-LGW a few days back and still managed to end up in the front row of whY with a spare middle next to. AUP'd to CE anyway, but was interesting that even being #82 to check-in it was still available.

When I used to do that journey (each way) in Y, I always found taking the front few rows on a reasonably full flight would end up with middle seat taken (even though at OLCI it showed empty) but a few rows back would offer an empty middle. Who knows.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ChemicalWoody
I’m a Gold now and have seats reserved in the front row of CE on several flights.
Next month I’ll be downgraded to silver.
Does anybody know whether we’re likely to get bumped out of those seats when the downgrade happens?
Hopefully as long as we never touch anything until check in we should be ok?
Not sure if it is the same but I was Silver and went down to bronze temporarily. I had a BA1 booking in 1A and didn’t touch that MMB, it retained its seat however I had a positioning flight to DUB for the start of my ex-Eu and I changed my seat then overnight it lost the seat and said I had to pay, back within the 7 day window was free seating again and after my BA1was back up to Silver. I thought it would be you will retain your seats until something changed, once it changed it realises you should have that seat and makes further changes impossible without a charge or moves you
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:32 am

Hello everybody!
On Saturday I will be on BA283 to LAX. However, as a Blue member I only get a choice of 18 seats during the T-72 period (unfortunately I can't attach a pic). All of these seats are in the middle of the 747, rows 50-54.
Since I guess these seats won't last for all passengers who didn't reserve a seat in advance, will the blocked seats get avbl. again at the beginning of OLCI or only at the airport?

Maybe ExpertFlyer knows more...

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by gvert
Hello everybody!
On Saturday I will be on BA283 to LAX. However, as a Blue member I only get a choice of 18 seats during the T-72 period (unfortunately I can't attach a pic). All of these seats are in the middle of the 747, rows 50-54.
Since I guess these seats won't last for all passengers who didn't reserve a seat in advance, will the blocked seats get avbl. again at the beginning of OLCI or only at the airport?
BA283 is usually rostered an 86J 747.

This means the aircraft has a relatively small economy cabin - it's the zone between 4 and 5 doors on the main deck. Rows 49 and forward are either genuinely occupied or showing as blocked - Theoretical Seating is holding the seat. There's a possibility some may open up closer to the time depending on how folk who have higher status or are in groups move around the cabin, but I wouldn't bank on this. Take what you can get that's closest to your preference for now, and ask at the airport if there's any chance of something else.
gvert likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hello everybody!
Greetings gvert, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. Below is what the seating plan on EF looks like. Looking at the G9 fare bucket, and given this is in February, this flight isn't looking full to my mind, though I may proven wrong. Now I'm not sure what sort of seat would suit you, but my feeling is that you should OLCI at the first opportunity but do not get your Boarding Pass or download it. Just check in and then after an hour so you may well see a completely different pattern including seats nearer row 47. Good luck, have a good flight and I hope you will tell us how it went for you.
gvert likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:56 am

Thank you mjh0 and c-w-s!
Yeah, I already asked a friend yesterday how full the buckets are and he already told me that all buckets are still open. So I guess the eco won't be full on that flight.

I was hoping to get 50A+C or H+K for me and my companion, but wasn't aware of the seat blocking BA does for it's status customers until I found this thread.

So I'll check in tomorrow and have a close eye onto the seat map. Just a quick question for the OLCI, I must take the option 'collect boarding passes at the airport then, correct?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
So I'll check in tomorrow and have a close eye onto the seat map. Just a quick question for the OLCI, I must take the option 'collect boarding passes at the airport then, correct?
I'd suggest the best option (assuming you have a smartphone) is to get the BA App. You can then download the boarding passes onto that when you decide to "lock in" the seating choices. Doing so doesn't preclude getting paper BPs printed at the airport of course, and you can use them interchangeably (bar a very few edge cases that c-w-s mentioned recently, not applicable here as I understand)

If you are using the app to check in as well, do be careful as it can be a little too easy to "fat-finger" it and accidentally hit the wrong button and get your BP But basically, I just check in on the app when OLCI opens, then download my BP a few hours before travel.
gvert likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Yep, that's right. You can then still go back and "view or change seat".
gvert likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just a quick question for the OLCI, I must take the option 'collect boarding passes at the airport then, correct?
It's almost not that far: after you get to the seat map, you select the best you can, then you get the main check-in button. You can do that stage, the status in the middle of the screen will change from "Not checked in" to "checked in" and at that point you get the "print" "collect" "PDF" (etc) options - just stop there. Then if you re-enter OLCI you get the ability to change seats. On the App be aware there is a one-step screen version where you enter the number of bags and you will then go all the way to boarding passes - make sure you select the slightly greyed out line allowing seating changes instead. But BertieBadger is absolutely right about fat-finger syndrome - don't do it on a bus or the tube! Since there are two of you going to LAX, there's a fairly high chance that you will have to collect boarding passes at LHR anyway, see the "Why can't I check in" thread in the Dashboard.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's almost not that far: after you get to the seat map, you select the best you can, then you get the main check-in button. You can do that stage, the status in the middle of the screen will change from "Not checked in" to "checked in" and at that point you get the "print" "collect" "PDF" (etc) options - just stop there. Then if you re-enter OLCI you get the ability to change seats. On the App be aware there is a one-step screen version where you enter the number of bags and you will then go all the way to boarding passes - make sure you select the slightly greyed out line allowing seating changes instead. But BertieBadger is absolutely right about fat-finger syndrome - don't do it on a bus or the tube! Since there are two of you going to LAX, there's a fairly high chance that you will have to collect boarding passes at LHR anyway, see the "Why can't I check in" thread in the Dashboard.
Thanks!
We're already coming in on a connection on BA935 from DUS. Thanks for all the help Will report how it went on Saturday!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
do we know if the dynamic / logic / algorithm is 'live' / moves with me?

a/c swap means I am no longer in the e/e row. (sadly, no my flights to alert me). so have moved myself at OLCI to a random old row taking a window seat (which I wouldn't normally do for a flight this length). whole row was empty. will fly now block the seats next to me or was that sort of only next to my previous seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.