Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BAMuc
Do exit rows on shorthaul impact on Theoretical Seating? I.e., am I as likely to have a blocked middle seat in an exit row than somewhere further up (or indeed down) the plane?
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but in my (relatively limited) experience of short-haul, people generally seem very happy to allocate themselves the middle seat in an exit row at an early stage, even if the window and aisle seats are already occupied, thus making the TS question academic!
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:35 am

A few pieces of anecdotal evidence from me.

1 ... I have tended to notice that when getting full TS seems to work front to back. It isn't a perfect thing but it always strikes me the empty seats seem further back in the end. But I could be seeing patterns where they don't exist.

2 ... I am pretty sure check in desks don't give a flying whatever about TS. I know when it was brought in they were supposed to see the blocks and respect them but I have seen a significant number of times someone get put into a blocked seat without question or second thought. (including once right in front of me in a check in line).

So i think if a seat is blocked and 'desirable' don't necessarily expect it to remain blocked.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAMuc
Do exit rows on shorthaul impact on Theoretical Seating? I.e., am I as likely to have a blocked middle seat in an exit row than somewhere further up (or indeed down) the plane?
There are several factors at play here. For exit rows non Golds/Emeralds will often have to pay either a fee and/or a higher fee to sit in the exit row. So that factor greatly clears down exit row selection. The most extreme example I saw was HBO fare £29 to somewhere like PMI, exit row seating £21! . So if you play "spot the Gold" - seeking out other single travellers with a TS block showing in ExpertFlyer after T-72 hours - then another single Gold cardholder can generally work the process to keep the middle seat empty. If you are a couple it gets more complicated, obviously, unless you are both Golds. Another factor is that if CE is relatively small, a lot of travellers are tempted to sit nearer the front if they can, forsaking exit row seats. As has been noted, some passengers dislike exit row seats due to the need to keep the floor area clear. Note that on A321 there is a second exit row which isn't great in terms of limited window aspect, but which has a lot of legroom and is unpopular with those seeking to be nearer the front.

On the other hand, there are some travellers who just won't - or in a small number of cases - can't sit in with the normal shorthaul seating density, and they are happy to pay whatever it takes. Secondly as already noted, many agents will simply agree to move people to the exit rows after sufficient pleading. Finally, if someone has been seat shifted, or can only check in at the airport, and finds only middle seats available, then middle seat exit row is one way to reduce any ire from the passenger concerned. Note this is a particular issue at LGW since swapping between G-GATs and BMI aircraft can lead to people unaware they have lost their exit row seats if they didn't stay on top of any equipment changes (and that can happen anywhere).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Royal Orchid Silver, HH Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Out of curiosity does this work on partner airlines as well? Earlier this month I was at the back of a Malaysian Airlines flight to and from Kuala Lumpur. Both ways the middle seat was empty, admittedly on the outbound the plane was probably about 80 percent full but on the way back to London the only empty seat was next to me (and the "lucky" person the other side).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by thereandhere
Out of curiosity does this work on partner airlines as well? Earlier this month I was at the back of a Malaysian Airlines flight to and from Kuala Lumpur. Both ways the middle seat was empty, admittedly on the outbound the plane was probably about 80 percent full but on the way back to London the only empty seat was next to me (and the "lucky" person the other side).
TS is an Amadeus system, offered to all their airlines, so many airlines use TS. Each airline is able to set the rule book according to their own specification. Lufthansa's version is far more complex than BA, with different flavours on different route archetypes. A rule book was put out in the public domain a few years back, but LH then went an changed it shortly thereafter. I'm a LH Senator and though I can see the basic principles involved (i.e. I normally get an empty seat next to me) I have so far failed to decode the detailed aspects of its operations which are far more subtle than BA's version.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are several factors at play here. For exit rows non Golds/Emeralds will often have to pay either a fee and/or a higher fee to sit in the exit row. So that factor greatly clears down exit row selection. The most extreme example I saw was HBO fare £29 to somewhere like PMI, exit row seating £21! . So if you play "spot the Gold" - seeking out other single travellers with a TS block showing in ExpertFlyer after T-72 hours - then another single Gold cardholder can generally work the process to keep the middle seat empty. If you are a couple it gets more complicated, obviously, unless you are both Golds.
Unfortunately not always the case - on a recent flight to GIB my wife and I had an aisle and window in the exit row (we are both GCH) with someone sat next to us in the middle. The exit row in front of us had an empty middle and then the exit row on the other side had one passenger in the aisle seat with the window and middle free. Perplexing!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:25 am

TS is an Amadeus system, offered to all their airlines, so many airlines use TS. Each airline is able to set the rule book according to their own specification. Lufthansa's version is far more complex than BA, with different flavours on different route archetypes. A rule book was put out in the public domain a few years back, but LH then went an changed it shortly thereafter. I'm a LH Senator and though I can see the basic principles involved (i.e. I normally get an empty seat next to me) I have so far failed to decode the detailed aspects of its operations which are far more subtle than BA's version.
IIRC Qantas have been using it for quite some time, certainly when I used to fly QF regularly I remember it being talked about quite a bit and I do also recall when I was a scummy OWS they wouldn't "unblock" a seat for me in "Emerald city" on the A380 J upper deck cabin saying that it was blocked etc. That would have been about 6-7 years ago if memory serves me right!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flashware
Unfortunately not always the case - on a recent flight to GIB my wife and I had an aisle and window in the exit row (we are both GCH) with someone sat next to us in the middle. The exit row in front of us had an empty middle and then the exit row on the other side had one passenger in the aisle seat with the window and middle free. Perplexing!
As commented upthread, that is the wrong approach here. You best sit together rather than split tactically, BA seems to allow middle seat sales when people do this on the same PNR. Statistically you best book window and middle if both are Gold. On the other hand you could do window + aisle if on separate PNRs.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:31 am

As commented upthread, that is the wrong approach here. You best sit together rather than split tactically, BA seems to allow middle seat sales when people do this. Statistically you best book window and middle if both are Gold.
We're rarely in ET these days anyway, but next time we are we'll give that a try ^
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
We don't really know how Theoretical Seating behaves when a cabin is close to being full, and although you say you were the only Group 1 passenger there might have been other Gold passengers with higher CIV scores who didn't board at the same time as you did.

However, if I were assigning seats in this situation I would be deliberately targeting middle seats between couples travelling on the same PNR because (a) they are gaming the system and (b) the final outcome would be that the couple would be sitting together and the passenger assigned the middle seat would end up with the aisle or window seat of their choice so everybody wins (or, at least, nobody really loses).
It might seem a little vindictive to actively target couples rather than non-couples over this though. I very much doubt that the 6 empty middle seats had adjacent golds with higher CIV scores in economy - who also boarded late - but you never know. Anyway, in the past, sat together doesn't free-up the seat next to me either, and I've known flights where a couple have been assigned the two seats (out of 3) next to me on an otherwise empty flight!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by CKBA
It might seem a little vindictive to actively target couples rather than non-couples over this though. I very much doubt that the 6 empty middle seats had adjacent golds with higher CIV scores in economy - who also boarded late - but you never know. Anyway, in the past, sat together doesn't free-up the seat next to me either, and I've known flights where a couple have been assigned the two seats (out of 3) next to me on an otherwise empty flight!
Perhaps we've done something to annoy the BA gods
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flashware
Perhaps we've done something to annoy the BA gods
More likely TS is just a booking algorithm, perhaps more of a guideline, which can be over-ridden very easily with human intervention. Status passengers like to get good seats. Non status passengers like to get good seats. If you are sat next to the person you love, what else matters?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
at the weekend I was exit row on a A319 I was 10F a man sat in 10E and 10D was empty, his wife was in 10C he did not move to 10D for the flight duration (JER) so no problem. so I'm wondering where TS was to increase both our comfort..
P.S. I'm a GCH.
John
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
More likely TS is just a booking algorithm, perhaps more of a guideline, which can be over-ridden very easily with human intervention. Status passengers like to get good seats. Non status passengers like to get good seats. If you are sat next to the person you love, what else matters?
It would in interesting to know whether the checkin staff see just an empty seat, or if they have to 'override' any blocking. I suppose that spending 8 hours stuck next to the one you love is a good test of any marriage (maybe next time it's separate bookings!).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It might seem a little vindictive to actively target couples rather than non-couples over this though.
I don't think it's vindictive at all. If the aircraft is almost full and a choice has to be made which previously-blocked middle seat should now be assigned to a late check-in then it makes sense to put him/her between two passengers on the same PNR, who will probably not mind sitting next to each other, over two single passengers on different PNRs.
I suppose that spending 8 hours stuck next to the one you love is a good test of any marriage (maybe next time it's separate bookings!).
And if one of you is then op-uped, that's an even better test of a marriage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.