Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Intrigued about this map... is this random blocking or is the person in 4F really really important that they have an exclusion zone around them

Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Intrigued about this map... is this random blocking or is the person in 4F really really important that they have an exclusion zone around them

I can't see the flight number, date or route here so I can only guess, but I'd sau it is an A321 to somewhere like EDI, AMS, GVA, MAD, where the Silver / Gold block could easily be 5 rows. Row 6 is a Bronze couple, rows 1 to 3 are all Goldies and Silvers behind. 4C is without status but snuck in either on a paid seat or at T-72 hrs, given it's CE seating.
dylanks likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jwhite9185

I have no seats blocked next to me for Friday evenings flights.

One is showing as taken, the other as empty (but not blocked). Hoping it stays that way - or better still, blocked, as I’m in the twosome at the rear of the 747 on the second flight.

Well, ARN-LHR was pretty full and I had another Gold next to me. There were a few spare seats available according to EF however.

LHR-KWI, the adjacent seat was blocked earlier in the morning then when I checked later in the day, it was taken. When I got to the lounge, I asked to be moved to a completely blocked row a couple ahead (around 2 hours prior to departure) and still ended up with two seat mates, neither of which had any status as the guy next to me had group 4 on his boarding pass and the girl in the aisle arrived with the masses too.

Very cramped at the back of the 747 - more room on the A320 to be honest, but thats for another thread.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I can't see the flight number, date or route here so I can only guess, but I'd sau it is an A321 to somewhere like EDI, AMS, GVA, MAD, where the Silver / Gold block could easily be 5 rows. Row 6 is a Bronze couple, rows 1 to 3 are all Goldies and Silvers behind. 4C is without status but snuck in either on a paid seat or at T-72 hrs, given it's CE seating.
Sorry, I only gave half the info! This was yesterday's BA0347 NCE-LHR. The view I saw was as a GCH in EF. I just found it interesting to see the block on all those seats
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Not sure if this has been noted before as common, but when checking my LHR-EDI flight on EF a couple of hours before departure there were a few seat blocks in place, including next to me in the exit row ^. 30 mins later and the blocks are gone - although I still have an empty seat next to me an hour or so before departure .
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Not sure if this has been noted before as common, but when checking my LHR-EDI flight on EF a couple of hours before departure there were a few seat blocks in place, including next to me in the exit row ^. 30 mins later and the blocks are gone - although I still have an empty seat next to me an hour or so before departure .
You'll be as delighted as myself to hear that the seat next to me remains empty after boarding .
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
as the seats fill up blocks get removed to make more seats available

in the last couple of hours before the flight departs that will change fairly frequently and there is every chance a seat beside you could become unblocked.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
You cannot be serious - or you're having a laugh!

New booking (3 sectors) for myself and Mrs CKBA produced the following default seating:

Maybe this is evidence that the theoretical seating algorithm using some AI or AS (artificial stupidity) based upon past bookings (our last flight we had selected an aisle-empty-window seat configuration)....
ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Last edited by CKBA; Apr 7, 2018 at 12:22 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Okay, a bit of a DYKWIA moment, but I now believe that the TS really doesn’t like me… . For an upcoming flight I had myself nicely nestled into 11K (just sufficiently forward to get a decent view ahead of the wing), and kept checking that the seat next to me was free/blocked, as it still was at T-25.

Come OLCI, an aircraft change (788-789), and now reassigned to 17A, definitely overwing, and now with a seating ‘buddy’:
i) why doesn’t the TS just shift the old block of WT+ into the front of the new WT+ (leaving sufficient space behind for any necessary upgrades)?
ii) why isn’t the seat next to me blocked, particularly when the cabin is relatively empty (and 19/20J are blocked)?
iii) why can’t I get the bassinet seat – at < T-24 this should be available to anyone (yet alone GCH) – but the OLCI notes it is a bassinet and won’t allow a seat change to it.

Note that the flight is not particularly full, so it cannot really be a case of the WT being squeezed forward into WT+… (surely?).

T-25 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W6 E0 T0 Y9 H6 K4 M4 L2 V2 S2 N2 Q0 O0 G9

T-21 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 H6 K3 M3 L2 V2 S2 N2 Q0 O0 G9

Last edited by CKBA; Apr 6, 2018 at 11:02 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club

I'm flying on BA2631 tomorrow, all exit rows have basically been clear, then as soon as online check in opened, all exit rows are full (I am sat on Row 13). I can see other seats are blocked on Expertflyer, but wonder why it didn't stay blocked for me and why the exit rows were filled up very quickly after online check in?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mmogdan
I'm flying on BA2631 tomorrow, all exit rows have basically been clear, then as soon as online check in opened, all exit rows are full (I am sat on Row 13). I can see other seats are blocked on Expertflyer, but wonder why it didn't stay blocked for me and why the exit rows were filled up very quickly after online check in?
Because it looks to me like a very full flight with plenty of cardholders on it and I suspect only half a dozen empty seats.

J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y4 B4 H3 K3 M1 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

The best way to have got an empty seat on this aircraft would be to select a seat towards the back. If you go for 29C I suspect that 29B will stay unfilled.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Because it looks to me like a very full flight with plenty of cardholders on it and I suspect only half a dozen empty seats.

J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y4 B4 H3 K3 M1 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

The best way to have got an empty seat on this aircraft would be to select a seat towards the back. If you go for 29C I suspect that 29B will stay unfilled.

Excellent, thanks. I don't have access to the booking classes, but noticed they were selling a few seats on the flight rather cheaply, so assumed it wouldn't have been very full. Thanks again
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:20 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Am on tomorrow's BA 579 from VCE to LHR. The middle seat between myself and my wife was showing as available to pick earlier, but is now showing an X. I originally had the aisle and middle seat chosen for my wife and I with the window seat not chosen. Has TS taken effect (this is an avios booking) or do I need to change seats to another row to ensure my wife and I don't have a stranger between us? We flew out in J but no availability in J on return.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:37 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Updated to add that it didn't work. Someone was able to choose the middle seat. They were kind enough to allow my wife and I to swap seats. There were club seats tomorrow, but the difference in cost for the apartment we were saying in for 4 nights was too much - 5 nights was 350 euros more expensive than 4
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Am on tomorrow's BA 579 from VCE to LHR. The middle seat between myself and my wife was showing as available to pick earlier, but is now showing an X. I originally had the aisle and middle seat chosen for my wife and I with the window seat not chosen. Has TS taken effect (this is an avios booking) or do I need to change seats to another row to ensure my wife and I don't have a stranger between us? We flew out in J but no availability in J on return.
You cannot ensure that nobody will get the seat between you

At T-72 the block would have kicked in, I expect that is when you started to see an X in the middle seat, along with a whole load of other block. However I have noticed that seats get unlocked and then, possibly depending on what other seats get occupied, the block can be reapplied and then possibly removed again

As more and more people check in blocks start to be removed, so if the flight is busy then someone will end likely up in the middle seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.