Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 7:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Exit Rows

Does anyone have insight if it is a quiet flight and 2 golds have Window and aisle on emergency exit in A320 would emergency exits always be opened for anyone given the extra legroom or would a block still be possible? Thanks!
Old May 28, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by gav0106
Does anyone have insight if it is a quiet flight and 2 golds have Window and aisle on emergency exit in A320 would emergency exits always be opened for anyone given the extra legroom or would a block still be possible? Thanks!
I've had the exit row seat next to me blocked before as gold.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I have had exit row blocked next to me as Silver
Old May 28, 2018, 8:49 am

In my experience with 2x Gold in aisle/window and middle being free, it's not remained blocked while other exit row middle seats have remained empty. I've tried c-w-s's suggestion of taking Window+Aisle and middle has been blocked but the flights have not been that busy. Will see what happens when we're on a busy flight....
Old May 28, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
on a busy flight the seat will go, especially if it is status heavy as it will be one of the "best" seats available

On status light flights that are not busy it will remain blocked
Old May 28, 2018, 8:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by samwilliams88
Hi All

Hoping his is the correct place to ask this;

I am on the BA36 From MAA To LHR on 1st of June.
Seat expert shows 10J available however MMB App shows it as unavailable. See images below. I am BA Silver (not sure if that helps). Why is MMB not allowing me to move to 10J. I am guessing possible BA Gold members yet to book/reserve seat?

Any help is appreciated.
It may be the App as I don't think the front row of PE is blocked for Golds, but happy to be corrected, and on a dummy booking on my laptop I can see it as available (788)

10 A/K are bassinet seats and blocked fyi and 10B is also available and TS will not have kicked in yet.

Call BA and see if they can move you?
Old May 28, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
BA705 today...

I'm in 10F and my partner(gold) in 10D.

The middle was blocked nicely earlier but now it's open but empty?
Old May 28, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by teledude
BA705 today...

I'm in 10F and my partner(gold) in 10D.

The middle was blocked nicely earlier but now it's open but empty?
That is what happens as more and more people check in, especially in the last 2 hours before the flight. Blocked seats get freed up. What we do not know is the algorithm that is used to decide what gets freed up when. It is very dynamic. I have seen the seat next to mine become available in EF, then become blocked again, I guess depending on who choses what seats where

Its too late to check now but it may only have opened up to other golds
Old May 29, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Am I correct in thinking that, 47 hours before departure, the bassinet seat should have been released? I've checked the flight (BA283 on 1 June) on ExpertFlyer and the bassinet seat still shows as blocked.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JimEddie
Am I correct in thinking that, 47 hours before departure, the bassinet seat should have been released? I've checked the flight (BA283 on 1 June) on ExpertFlyer and the bassinet seat still shows as blocked.
For my 283 flight tomorrow the bassinets seats opened up 20-24 hours before departure.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Odd seating on Saturday's LHR-BDS.

On both BA and Expertflyer about T-96 virtually all the seats suddenly became booked - from being nearly all available. This flight has been shown as nearly 100% full for many weeks (currently J4/Y2 - after a curtain move last week when it was J2/y2).I can't imagine that everyone rushed out to pay extra for seat assignments!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm a Silver (and lead booker) with 4 other passengers (all Blue). I've reserved our seats on the upper deck of an A380 WT+. We have the front two middle rows of three, with one spare seat. Is this likely to remain blocked, or is it only the physical seat next to me which the rules would apply to?

I'm not particularly fussed either way, just intrigued how it works!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum

Experiencing some very odd seat blocking on an A380 flight within the next 72 hours.

The price for an in-app upgrade from WT to WTP decreased from £329 to £231, and eventually, this morning, to £165 where my girlfriend (Bronze) finally took up the offer. The app automatically assigned her 61B (arguably one of the best seats in the cabin) which is great!

This morning, EF was showing lots of available seats in WTP but now they are all showing as "blocked" (see picture). The BA seat map corresponds with this and is only showing a couple of available seats.
We are wondering what might be going on in this situation? Is WT massively oversold and is BA keeping the WTP seats blocked for more upgrades and op-ups?

Would be interesting to hear your opinions!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Would be interesting to hear your opinions!
Well you're going from HKG to LHR on Friday, right? Well I've checked, yes it is massively oversold and I suspect over half of WTP is going to end up in CW (though that's fairly full already).
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Close (and impressive!) - but it's actually LHR to HKG on Saturday. Could you please check the loads for that one as well?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.