Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Well, on a TXL-LCY yesterday I had one of 3 empty seats next to me, back in 24A. Aside from 2D on the E190, it was a more premium seating experience than CE on the aircraft!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Interesting video, thanks to those of you pointing to it. ^

I incidentally disagree with those who think that this creates a disincentive to fly CE. Those who care about an empty seat will pick the certainty of it over the vague possibility of the same, and frankly, if an empty middle seat was all there was to it, nobody who pay a significant premium for that anyway.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dsf
Yes... I think after multiple readings I can accept I was confused and it mostly matches, sorry! Except "[silver] losing the ability to get front row seats at T-72" is the opposite of what I saw.
There's been a number of reports now that Silvers can get row 1 in certain circumstances, so I've changed post 1 to indicate that it remains a possibility. What we have seen, though, is that the near automatic ability to get row 1 has now changed.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Does CIV affect TS or just status?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, in fairness, the person who wanted to move had no other reason to want to move than to similarly have an empty seat next to him rather than a seat he was already capable of not seeing through complete privacy screens. It's not as if he wanted to move next to someone he couldn't have sat next to otherwise or anything of the sort. So basically, the system just says that the feeling of a free seat next to you is kept for the GGL member rather than the non-status one, which I do not find unreasonable.
Could completely understand keeping 1K free if a OWE is in 1A in F on a 747 but can't in the slightest see how the middles on a 777 would matter. In fact I have been in 1A and hardly noticed there was anyone across the aisle anyway. I don't think 777 1E/F have ever been reserved for status have they?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6501
Does CIV affect TS or just status?
I believe it is just status, but I'm hoping this thread will establish this over time.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Could completely understand keeping 1K free if a OWE is in 1A in F on a 747 but can't in the slightest see how the middles on a 777 would matter. In fact I have been in 1A and hardly noticed there was anyone across the aisle anyway. I don't think 777 1E/F have ever been reserved for status have they?
It's not about being reserved for status, it's about strategically deciding where (ie next to whom) to keep empty seats. I'm not really sure how 1K for 1A on a 744 and 1E from 1A on a 772 are any different bar the seat angle. The distance between the two is about the same as the aisles on the 772 are not particularly large, and unlike the 380, the seats are exactly aligned so you definitely do see the person in 1E from 1A. In fact, I really wish that theoretical seating would have similarly kept 1E empty on my return as the lady sat there 1) kept picking her feet throughout the flight and 2) kept switching on all the lights every time she was going to the bathroom throughout our night flight, 3) had fairly loud conversations with her husband in 1F.

Also note that just a few posts up, dsf explained that as a silver, 2C was being kept empty whilst he was in 2D, which confirms the extent of theoretical seating privileges as "across the aisle" when loads are low enough, not even only for GGLs in F but for GCH and SCH in C.

Basically, this matches my experience of the same system on AF. In priority, the system chooses to give status customers an empty seat next to them within the same seat group, but where loads permit, it will extend to a second "layer" of benefits, which effectively means giving top status customers either a full row of 3 or 4 for themselves, or empty seats across the aisle on cabins made of single seats.

In any case, again, I can only say that I certainly appreciated that empty 1E just as my partner clearly enjoyed 1F being left empty while she sat in 1K. I'm not saying that it is a need or even a major priority, but on flights where loads allow, it is most definitely a benefit for top tier passengers in my view and very much appreciated. Conversely, on CW flights with my partner where we take a window/aisle pair to sit together, and where I invariably leave her the more pleasant window, I certainly wouldn't look a horse gift's in the mouth should Altea decide to keep the seat across the aisle from me free, as there again, you can certainly see/feel/hear your across the aisle neighbour.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's been a number of reports now that Silvers can get row 1 in certain circumstances, so I've changed post 1 to indicate that it remains a possibility. What we have seen, though, is that the near automatic ability to get row 1 has now changed.
Further to AMS CE both ways this week as Silver with Row 1 opening up after being blocked, I have a return to Hel this weekend. Outbound I'm in 4A. Only 3D is open before me; but Sunday morning return, I'm in 2A. Row 1 was previously unavailable, but now 1D is open.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Gold Actually
Flew to arricife with Mrs castle who is gold. We were hbo but got assigned 1st row of economy E & F with D being left empty. Only 2 other empty seats at the back! We pulled down the middle seat table- marvellous! Mrs castle a bit miffed at not being able to select a gluten free meal!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:15 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Also note that just a few posts up, dsf explained that as a silver, 2C was being kept empty whilst he was in 2D, which confirms the extent of theoretical seating privileges as "across the aisle" when loads are low enough, not even only for GGLs in F but for GCH and SCH in C.
Actually I was referring to an E190, so no aisle involved. Apologies for any confusion caused.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by dsf
Actually I was referring to an E190, so no aisle involved. Apologies for any confusion caused.
ah sorry, I misunderstood!!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:33 pm

Another data point: I have a First flight on a 747 in 6 weeks. I booked 1A weeks ago, and until last week it was a completely empty cabin apart from myself. Today, 1K is taken (expert flyer shows it occupied, not blocked). So I suspect this 'across the isle' functionality either isn't for First, or isn't for the front few rows of the 747, where indeed it would be silly to block 2/3 A/K.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I can share a couple of datapoints.

I flew LHR-HKG and back earlier this week in WT+. The cabins were very busy with just a couple of seats unoccupied in both directions and the effects of the Theoretical Seating algorithm were clearly evident as the unoccupied seats were all in prime locations - a combination of AB and JK seats. On the way out, I was one of the fortunate recipients - the algorithm must have blocked seat 61B after I moved to 61A (A380 bulkhead row) when OLCI opened.

Funnily, nature quickly took its course as two suitors appeared shortly after the doors closed asking if they could relocate to 61B. The crew held them back though but eventually released their grip when I requested if my colleague could join me.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
It's not about being reserved for status, it's about strategically deciding where (ie next to whom) to keep empty seats. I'm not really sure how 1K for 1A on a 744 and 1E from 1A on a 772 are any different bar the seat angle. The distance between the two is about the same as the aisles on the 772 are not particularly large, and unlike the 380, the seats are exactly aligned so you definitely do see the person in 1E from 1A. In fact, I really wish that theoretical seating would have similarly kept 1E empty on my return as the lady sat there 1) kept picking her feet throughout the flight and 2) kept switching on all the lights every time she was going to the bathroom throughout our night flight, 3) had fairly loud conversations with her husband in 1F.

Originally Posted by dsf
The difference on a 744 is that 1A/K are assigned to OWE status holders, and the angle makes it much easier to be aware of someone else in the adjacent seat. The fact that the seats are 'perfectly aligned' is the very reason that you might hardly notice someone across the aisle in the 777.

We all like to imagine we are important to BA but I think that in this case this is wishful thinking. Absolutely no evidence whatsoever of this being anything to do with FLY/theoretical seating. I can log in as my kids (silver) or not log in and be no status and can choose any seat in F except 1A/K.

Seems much more likely that the passenger on your plane was asked to sit in their originally assigned seat, nothing more or less.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:37 am

BA500 to Lisbon, in 1A and first time I've had an empty 1C next to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.