Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold
Not sure how to post a link (sorry) but Oliver2002 has posted a helpful video from Lufthansa on how this module works, in the main Fly thread.

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Manx Flyer
Not sure how to post a link (sorry) but Oliver2002 has posted a helpful video from Lufthansa on how this module works, in the main Fly thread.

(From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27177082-post462.html)
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Last week, LHR-BSL, my girlfriend and me (both Silver) were assigned 9E/F, HBO only fare, and 9D remained free.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:04 am

Is there not a risk that this is counterproductive. If elites get a good ET experience with a blocked seat, what is the advantage of paying for CE?

Extra leg room? no.
Catering? yes, but buy a Ramsey picnic.
Lounge access? Elites have that anyway.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Tim1975
Is there not a risk that this is counterproductive. If elites get a good ET experience with a blocked seat, what is the advantage of paying for CE?

Extra leg room? no.
But that assumes that there will always be an empty seat next to you. Similarly as OpUps do not cannibalize the sale of premium cabins, theoretical seating won't cannibalize it either (although the chance of having an empty seat next to you is higher than the chance of an OpUp).
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

Extra leg room? no.
Plane food? £14 for this?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/172650...visor-reviews/
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
But that assumes that there will always be an empty seat next to you. Similarly as OpUps do not cannibalize the sale of premium cabins, theoretical seating won't cannibalize it either (although the chance of having an empty seat next to you is higher than the chance of an OpUp).
Not necessarily. I am happy to fly both ET and CE. These are short flight after all. I prefer CE but will only choose it if it is not too expensive over ET. When I have lounge access from status, the premium I am prepared to pay for CE drops (by about £20). When I lost 4 cm of leg room from the new CE cabin, the premium I am prepared to pay for CE dropped (by about £15). If my next few ET flights have a blocked middle seat next to me or even say a 40% chance of a blocked middle seat, the premium I am prepared to pay for CE drops again (by about £20 again).

CE remains attractive, but ET isn't something to be avoided at all reasonable costs (unlike an overnight in WT for example) and the closer the gap between the cabins becomes, the less I am prepared to pay for the pricier ticket.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If my next few ET flights have a blocked middle seat next to me or even say a 40% chance of a blocked middle seat, the premium I am prepared to pay for CE drops again (by about £20 again).
I would be wary of the 40% figure. If your flight is full then Theoretical Seating isn't going to help you. It will depend on the route, on shorthaul loads tend to be in the 80-90% area - and at the lower figure that would certainly help you get a middle seat. But there are plenty of completely full flights out there, and you won't see standbys come through until the last moment. Furthermore the seating for CE is such that they may be happy to have a half row of empty CE seats, at the expense of filling up the ET cabin, and that 80-90% figure includes CE seats.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Hoping this is the right thread. I've got a PRG-LHR sector in CE coming up in just over two weeks. Currently MMB shows a six row CE cabin. I am Silver and it's a J-class ticket (connecting to F). I can select seats in row 6 but none of the rest of the cabin. Assuming it's not full of status pax already or a group booking I find this puzzling. If I've read CWS's intro correctly then maybe, but only maybe, at T -72 some further rows will open up?

First-world problems and all that but it dampens "free seat selection" as a status perk if you can only select from a tiny portion of the cabin.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by robertf999
Hoping this is the right thread. I've got a PRG-LHR sector in CE coming up in just over two weeks. Currently MMB shows a six row CE cabin. I am Silver and it's a J-class ticket (connecting to F). I can select seats in row 6 but none of the rest of the cabin. Assuming it's not full of status pax already or a group booking I find this puzzling. If I've read CWS's intro correctly then maybe, but only maybe, at T -72 some further rows will open up?

First-world problems and all that but it dampens "free seat selection" as a status perk if you can only select from a tiny portion of the cabin.
I can certainly have a look on EF and/or make a dummy booking to see what it reveals, but in addition to the FLY Theoretical Seating, there has been a long standing arrangement that row 1, sometimes more rows, is a Gold+ perk. So what may be happening is that row 1 is empty or perhaps one person in it. Row 2 to 5 may possibly have been sold already, leaving you with row 6. That sounds a bit implausible 2 weeks out, I must admit, but I'd need the specifics to be more precise. However yes, at least in theory at T-72 more options could open up for you, or more likely, the curtain pushed further back into the cabin to give additional seating, albeit further back.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Thank you for the very prompt response CWS. I've PMed you some specifics to see if it sheds some light on things and helps with your general research into the effects of this.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
but in addition to the FLY Theoretical Seating, there has been a long standing arrangement that row 1, sometimes more rows, is a Gold+ perk. So what may be happening is that row 1 is empty or perhaps one person in it
Row 1 on both outbound and return CE flights this week opened up for me as silver at less than 2-days to check-in. Changed from 2a to 1c both times.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:29 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Implications in summary:
- If Silver you best ensure you have a good seat before T-72. you can't assume you can improve on it after 72 hours. On the other hand you will get more seat options then than Blue or Bronze cardholders
- If Silver and in company then Theoretical Seating does open up adjoining seats if necessary
- If Silver and single, after T-72 while the seats on offer may be further back, it is possible that the passenger will have an empty seat next to them on less full flights.
- Silver cardholders face two downsides: not just losing the ability to get front row seats at T-72 but also sometimes not being offered exit row seats which are offered to Bronze passengers.
- Bronze doesn't seem to get the benefit of seat blocking but may give access to good seats, sometimes better than Silver (exit rows) and better seating than Blue.
- Be very careful not to split your travel companion on to a separate booking if their BAEC/oneworld status is different to your own: you may find it nearly impossible to get seats next to each other. Golds/Emeralds can ring up BA to get seats together under the TCP provision, a somewhat clunky and manual process. But otherwise if on 2 PNRs and one passenger has no status, you may well want to pay for a seat early on, if you want to sit together.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, my experience this week doesn't seem to match what's written above?
  • my gf (bronze) and I (silver) are on STN-PMI, departing in < 72hrs, in separate bookings
  • ever since booking in June, I had been able to pick any row except row 1. I'd plonked myself in 2D, the plum exit/front row seat on the E190 afaik
  • at T-7d, my gf was unable to pick row 1 nor 2. 2C also showed as unavailable on my own seat map, so she picked 3A and I moved to 3B
  • at T-72h she was now able to pick anywhere except row 1; I was able to pick row 1 as well. 2CD were both free
  • so, I moved to 2D. she was now unable to move to 2C, and on my seat map it also showed as unavailable again
  • I surmised that maybe it was blocking seats next to me, and thus she had to move first: I moved back to 3B, she moved to 2C, I then moved to 2D. checkmate!

We hadn't expected to have to play chess like this. Of particular confusion was that once I moved into a seat in row 2, the one next to me was blocked even for me!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I think what you just posted is matching what was written above. Yes, you moving was blocking the seat next to you so your GF could not pick the seat.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:06 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I think what you just posted is matching what was written above. Yes, you moving was blocking the seat next to you so your GF could not pick the seat.
Yes... I think after multiple readings I can accept I was confused and it mostly matches, sorry! Except "[silver] losing the ability to get front row seats at T-72" is the opposite of what I saw.

I still think having my sibling seat blocked even for me is confusing. If I had mis-clicked and chosen an aisle when I wanted a window, then for all I knew I would have been unable to ever go back and fix that because it looked unavailable. I wouldn't have thought to move to another row first, and whilst on a relatively empty flight it would just stay blocked and I'd be able to move onboard, if it's full I would just be stuck when that needn't have been the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.