Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by MPH1980
You're far too early for theoretical seating (which is the point of this thread) to have kicked in. It only applies from T-72.
Ah I see. I thought the thread was also about differences in availability that depend on status.
I've had a look at the seat map myself and it looks to me like the entirety of rows 5 and 6 are unoccupied.

Even IF someone was in one of those seats - you'd only ever see 'unavailable' on BA's site - it doesn't distinguish between blocked and occupied.
Yes that's was I suspected. Thanks. On ExpertFlyer it shows 6E occupied so presumably a different display algorithm applies there?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
What is the easiest way, at the airport or when checking in to know if the seat next to you is blocked or taken.

In the app, they just looked greyed out, and at least in the CCR when the lady brought up the seat map it looked full and she said all seats were taken. Then onboard I had the whole row (#6) to myself.

KF
AIUI - the only real way is via ExpertFlyer.

I believe Staff see the appropriate view of the plane as is appropriate for the customer they are looking up. I've no idea what it looks like if they just look the flight up rather than via the customer first.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Originally Posted by greg5
Yesterday ET, about 80% full, A319.

We had 10AB and C was blocked. Another pax asked the FA if he could move into C and she gave the okay. Wasn't the greatest experience, but I wasn't so fussed about it. Still, I didn't feel guilty at all when I woke him up to head to the WC. On the other segment we had 10AB and C seem to have been blocked as well.
This is why as soon as they said 'boarding complete', we moved from D&E to D&F and pulled down the middle tray/seat!!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Am I right in thinking that if two GGLs were to select seats A and C on a shorthaul flight in advance that it'd be extremely unlikely that B would be available to anyone else from T-72 onwards unless the flight was completely full?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Am I right in thinking that if two GGLs were to select seats A and C on a shorthaul flight in advance that it'd be extremely unlikely that B would be available to anyone else from T-72 onwards unless the flight was completely full?
No.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is this an A321 or 767? A seats are always windows, but they can look different on the App if looking at the longhaul seating. It's difficult to give anything but general advice, given the details we have here, but two rules are (1) when playing curtain roulette, the house tends to win. And (2) you are best to select a seat you want rather than let someone throw you into a middle seat at the last moment.

If it is longhaul seating, and you have a fare bucket higher than N, then you best ring up and try to UuA into Club "Europe". Or POUG if offered.
Thanks c-w-s, it's an A319.

Love the expression "curtain roulette" ^

I'm still puzzled how:
- the website says I have an allocated seat (04A, aisle)
- the app says my seat is reserved and was confirmed being "04A (middle)"

I think the writing's on the wall and I will pick a different seat. Will see if I can get a better seat when OLCI opens.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Castle25
This is why as soon as they said 'boarding complete', we moved from D&E to D&F and pulled down the middle tray/seat!!
The guy asked to move before that even! I was surprised that the FA told him he could move just as long as he would move out if someone actually had the seat. I can't complain too much though, as Mrs. greg5 actually likes to sit next to me.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
No.
Care to elaborate any further?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
My experience of theoretical seating has left me with acres of space around me on two CW flights this week with an otherwise full CW cabin (I checked) - even to the extent of putting a non status colleague of mine into the position of having to select a middle seat at OLCI next to an unrelated person when two aisles (next to me and at my footrest) were empty.

Is this common?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Mrs Zippyboarder and I are due to travel on 04/10 ABZ-LHR then 05/10 LHR-MUC.

We are on seperate PNR´s. I am on a paid ticket booked in J and I and she is on a RFS, as she is a Blue she cannot select seats before OLCI. I have booked 1C for both flights hoping to slot her into 1B (ABZ-LHR) and 1A (LHR-MUC) at OLCI.

Does this theoretical seating mean that she wont be able to select 1B and 1A even at OLCI.

I was thinking about phoning the Gold line to see if they could select seats for her beforehand but can´t see much point if she is going to be shifted a T-72.

Any advice welcome
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zippyboarder
Does this theoretical seating mean that she wont be able to select 1B and 1A even at OLCI.
Ring up and ask for TCP seating since without that I really doubt TS will allow you to sit together. One of the perils of 2 PNRs, I am afraid.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
It seems that BA lounge staff will soon be asked to proactively sell bulkhead and exit row seats. Not sure what the impact will be on seat blocking, but I'm sure it can't be good!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
It seems that BA lounge staff will soon be asked to proactively sell bulkhead and exit row seats. Not sure what the impact will be on seat blocking, but I'm sure it can't be good!
What a good idea. Increases shareholder value and provides customers with more choice ☺️. The transactional vs loyalty approach makes far more sense.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:27 am

I booked a flight HKG-LHR about 10 hours out. Major disaster with no business class availability!
I sucked it up like a martyr worthy of hero status, and flew premium economy. The front row of premium economy was showing as blocked out, so I selected a seat in the last row.

On boarding, I think I was the only Gold in PE, and a very nice CC member came and found me, and told me that the entire front row was available, and I could take one of the exit rows.
Another CC member came over(CSD?) and made sure I was OK in the exit row, and noted my change of seat. We had a little chat and he was saying he could see all of the seats as blocked out, 24hrs out on his iPad, and wasn't sure why I wouldn't be able to select them.

Fantastic service by the cabin crew, one of the best I've had on BA for a while. But what was the deal with the seat selection, anyone know why I couldn't reserve those seats? Just so that I'm aware, in case I'm faced with PE again!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by danpwc
I booked a flight HKG-LHR about 10 hours out. Major disaster with no business class availability!
I sucked it up like a martyr worthy of hero status, and flew premium economy. The front row of premium economy was showing as blocked out, so I selected a seat in the last row.

On boarding, I think I was the only Gold in PE, and a very nice CC member came and found me, and told me that the entire front row was available, and I could take one of the exit rows.
Another CC member came over(CSD?) and made sure I was OK in the exit row, and noted my change of seat. We had a little chat and he was saying he could see all of the seats as blocked out, 24hrs out on his iPad, and wasn't sure why I wouldn't be able to select them.

Fantastic service by the cabin crew, one of the best I've had on BA for a while. But what was the deal with the seat selection, anyone know why I couldn't reserve those seats? Just so that I'm aware, in case I'm faced with PE again!
I have a lovely PE experience to from LHR to SIN tomorrow - I had no problems selecting an exit row / front row in PE. I've heard that if you sit at the front you are more likely to get an Invol to CW, don't know if it's true but here's hoping!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.