Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Barriers coming to BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
BA do this at their Concorde Bar in SIN. (Possibly other new Concorde branded lounge spaces as well) It works just fine, you are given a code at the desk which you enter into an iPad which then opens the door.
Indeed. A similar approach taken in DXB too but they have an unbranded white card to tap against a reader which allows respite away from the minions craning their necks to see what they're missing out on
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:44 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jonobigblind
Indeed. A similar approach taken in DXB too but they have an unbranded white card to tap against a reader which allows respite away from the minions craning their necks to see what they're missing out on
Plus, a little closer to home, LH provides a card to allow *G to enter the SEN lounge in LHR T2, and it works well. It's far more sensible than having to prove your credentials at the desk, then again at the inner lounge.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Can't wait:

Originally Posted by Lewis42
I like the gates that I have used in the TK lounge in IST
Did you know that you don't need to have any status with TK or an other airline or be flying in a premium cabin to get into the TK loumnge at IST?
Fake Boarding Pass App Gets Hacker Into Fancy Airline Lounges
Originally Posted by Andy Greenberg in Wired
It’s an Android app that generates fake QR codes to spoof a boarding pass on his phone’s screen for any name, flight number, destination and class. And based on his experiments with the spoofed QR codes, almost none of the airline lounges he’s tested actually check those details against the airline’s ticketing database—only that the flight number included in the QR code exists. And that security flaw, he says, allows him or anyone else capable of generating a simple QR code to both access exclusive airport lounges and buy things at duty free shops that require proof of international travel, all without even buying a ticket.
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/fake-b...rline-lounges/

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 22, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Plus, a little closer to home, LH provides a card to allow *G to enter the SEN lounge in LHR T2, and it works well. It's far more sensible than having to prove your credentials at the desk, then again at the inner lounge.

See here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27102143-post68.html
Then here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27102188-post70.html
Then here where we have both been corrected, as the system has now changed - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27102300-post72.html

M
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:41 pm

Maybe they'll add RFID to gold and silver cards to allow seemless entry/exit.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I heard it was either this or a new kind of lounge dragon!

So, based on valuable customer feedback...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I heard it was either this or a new kind of lounge dragon!

So, based on valuable customer feedback...
I thought these were Ms. May's new psychiatric nurses!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Calum
Maybe they'll add RFID to gold and silver cards to allow seemless entry/exit.
A badcode scanner works for flights usually. It even works for passing automated gates to proceed to security screening or lounges in some places. Not so amusingly, the barcodes don't always work when it comes to having the scanners read them.

RFID cards seem to often interfere with other nearby RFID cards. It's easier for me to flash a bar code from my phone than to pull out an RFID card from the pile in the purse/wallet/bag/pockets.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
While I have some sympathy for the "human touch" argument, I agree with the general point that this is not really either/or but rather in most likelihood a case of automated gates with an agent still present to supervise the entry and help with complex cases, just as so many other lounges already do and indeed, as the fast track security operates.

If you arrive at a quiet time, you should be able to check into the lounge with the agent if you prefer, but if there is a queue and you feel that you need 5 more minutes in the lounge more than a civilised chat with an airline employee, you would be able to scan and go through instead. I don't think that this has to be a negative per se (not something I have often said about BA in recent months...)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
I thought these were Ms. May's new psychiatric nurses!
Yes, to deal with the surge in reported incidents involving the mentally ill.

Thankfully the lounge entrance only tends to see individuals with a case of DYKWIA, known to be benign and entertaining.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As CWS has said, the Senator Lounges operate a similar setup.

At T2, a plain white card is given upon entry to the main Lufthansa Lounge, to those who are eligible. You then walk upto a pair of white frosted glass doors, tap the card, and the doors open.

It is actually quite a classy setup, and BA could implement something similar quite easily. It looks nice, it's easy, and the info is all held on a Boarding Pass - although a CCR card with a chip inside would be fun.

M
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
So someone checks your eligibility then gives you a card to work the automatic gates?
The Lounge Reception staff check your boarding pass, and then issue the Senator Lounge access card - or at least they did on the few occasions I flew on Lufty earlier this year.

Upon leaving the Senator Lounge, you drop the card into a chrome card-bin, and you then wander off to the gate.

M
See here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27102143-post68.html
Then here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27102188-post70.html
Then here where we have both been corrected, as the system has now changed - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27102300-post72.html

M
AA of course does this as well for the Flagship lounges at LAX and JFK, where you have a lounge inside a lounge. The cards are more of an old-style hotel access card at LAX.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
This sort thing doesn't particularly bother me.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
I am sure back in the day that you had to swipe your way into lounges. Belfast maybe?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by our_kid
I noticed some automatic looking gates at A8 in T5 on the weekend...
Originally Posted by Genius1
They are self-boarding gates, on trial at the moment in T5.
Haven't those been there for over a year? Never seen them in use though...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by MickV
I am sure back in the day that you had to swipe your way into lounges. Belfast maybe?
Fellow BD refugees here will fondly remember the "Diamond Club doors" message over the tannoy, for people who didn't have a card to swipe themselves in upstairs in T1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.