Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Barriers coming to BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
So someone checks your eligibility then gives you a card to work the automatic gates?
I presume this is for access to the higher tier lounge. AA does something similar with their Flagship Lounge at LAX.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I had a funny experience last year because of a system like this at NUE. After I picked up my BP (which was a single BP covering both NUE-HAM on AB, and HAM-LHR on BA), the check-in agent put a barcode sticker on it that got me past the automatic gate into the NUE lounge. So far, so good.

Fast forward to the gate at HAM. I hand the BP to the agent, who scans it. The machine refuses to accept it. She tries again, but the machine rejects it again. She's about to start typing in my details manually, which I know is going to take a good few seconds, when I notice that she was scanning the lounge access barcode. So I point out the other barcode to her, which of course works; and then I explain what the first barcode was. All that time we saved in her not having to type in my details is then immediately wasted as we both dissolve into a fit of giggles.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Duplicate

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 22, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I like the gates that I have used in the TK lounge in IST and in some of the LH lounges. It's so much quicker and you're never stuck behind some fool trying to jolly their way into the lounge by asking the lounge dragon meaningless questions.

I am all for it.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA do this at their Concorde Bar in SIN. (Possibly other new Concorde branded lounge spaces as well) It works just fine, you are given a code at the desk which you enter into an iPad which then opens the door.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Always get a smile at GF too.

How long before these replace staff at a gate? Or very least a domestic gate?
I noticed some automatic looking gates at A8 in T5 on the weekend...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I can see automatic entrance gates working well at the larger lounges on the network (JFK, new LGW, LHR), although I assume the Concorde Rooms will not be getting them.

Originally Posted by our_kid
I noticed some automatic looking gates at A8 in T5 on the weekend...
They are self-boarding gates, on trial at the moment in T5.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:10 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I'm somewhat surprised. It seems that this rumour - for nothing has been issued from British Airways to substantiate this - is at this point of time exactly that. This emanates from someone on the Lounge gates. There is another thread to do with self check-in which also purports to come from Internal Memo (internal to where?) about Self Checkin.

All of these may be true and in the months to come may be proven in fact - however they might just be hearsay and gossip. I'll hold my fire, wit, and sparkling repartee once it becomes reality, thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Often1
Hard to see it as a negative. Even if the gate cannot acommodate every permutation. If 95% of visitors can make it through, that allows staff to focus on those who need assistance (or who are fraud artists with a story).

Automated gates work well elsewhere in the world of commercial aviation, including at gates, but there always needs to be a staff person present for the exception cases.
Assuming they work well it should be a net positive. Too many times you find 2 or 3 people trying to bargain with agent for entrance as you hang around waiting to get in...

Though can see some potential downsides
- refuses lounge entry X minutes before flight, painful for frequent flyers just grabbing a paper and a bag of crisps en route to gate
- if you're opup'd only place to get new BP is at gate, unless paged
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Oh my goodness it will be such fun listening to the DYKWIA diatribes:

DYKWIA: But I spend thousands with your airline every year
Computer: No

DYKWIA: But the usual staff always let me board first

DYKWIA: I'll have you know that I play golf with the chairman !

DYKWIA: What do you mean it expired 2 years ago ?

Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ianfly
See that I can see as a genuine improvement. Why have so many staff when a machine can do the job.

I hope it has a loud siren for those who are rejected. And an even louder more obnoxious fire drill type sound for any bronze members trying their luck haha
Oy! I am bronze 😀 but very polite 😉 and when I do fly a minimum of CW anyway 😊
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:19 pm

Please please BA dont enhance away the angels that man the Edinburgh lounge
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Worcester
Spade??? I think Cruz has one of these on back order.
Tremendous!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas
Other oneworld emeralds benefits include priority baggage*, free seat selection** and one additional piece of luggage**.

* Not on BA shorthaul
** Not on BA HBO fares

My point is, if BA want to do it, they will. AA and QF already get an exemption for the lounge benefits domestically.
That's only for their own members, the rest of OW's OWS and OWE get full domestic lounge access with QF and AA.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by RGMD11
Just returning from GRU-MIA-LHR-LIS,in J on AA, upgraded in Miami to F, (nothing special, 773),prefer BA F, though as everyone knows the AA 773 J hard product is far better than Yang Yang BA J,
No they don't know. It's just your opinion. I would always choose BA over AA flat bed. AA to me is uncomfortable.

Though as I say, that is just my opinion as I believe people are different and some don't find the AA hump a problem. I just don't pontificate my opinion as everyone.. Just mine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.