Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Barriers coming to BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by oscietra
When Qatar buys IAG in, oh, about 18 months, then I'd expect a similar policy at all IAG airlines.

There's a reason these cutbacks are being implemented so rapidly and VR is being offered. Impending corporate activity has to be top of the list.
Creating more exceptions to the guesting policy would put IAG/BA on collision course with other OW airlines though wouldn't it...? Unless it was just BA that prevented guesting by BAEC elites at BA lounges - which would seem spiteful.

I could however see cross-OW changes to put constraints on guesting.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well the way it works at these lounges - which in my view are almost as good as Flounge, with one in FRA on a par - is that there is either a scan yourself point and someone watching for any red bleeps, or a barrier that retreats on scanning the boarding pass. Again there's someone nearby to help if necessary.

There are only a few lounges where this would make sense, in that it would allow staff numbers to be reduced by 1. So in T5 it would be Flounge and the 3 Galleries Club (though B would be borderline), T3 Galleries Club, and LGW South. T3 Flounge is one person anyway. Perhaps T7 Galleries Club too. And that's about it.

For Flounge, it would improve the experience since 80% of passengers would be happy to Flash And Go, rather than standing behind the person (actually, always a male) arguing about the merits of their extended collection of cost centres being allowed access.
You can't get Mojitos, freshly squeezed OJ and proper coffees in GF! But I'll happily admit that the food in GF is much more significant than all the SEN lounges.

Remember that SEN can guest spouse plus all kids under 18. BA chooses not to follow that model.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Lounge guesting is part of oneworld benefits* so I couldn't see that being enhanced.
Other oneworld emeralds benefits include priority baggage*, free seat selection** and one additional piece of luggage**.

* Not on BA shorthaul
** Not on BA HBO fares

My point is, if BA want to do it, they will. AA and QF already get an exemption for the lounge benefits domestically.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Have you tried any of the larger Senator lounges?
I appreciate your comments, knowledge and interesting contributions but I am sorry to say that this reply is a kick in the butt of the mostly very friendly lounge agents or should I say friendly dragons. Replying that another airline is even worse is very cheap. Human interaction is very important for customer satisfaction. It leaves room for interactive communication and venting (if necessary).
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Except for the tiny problem that EU and UK regulation both denies a non-EEA corporation to own more than 49% of an EEA airline...
Going a bit OT here, but it occurs to me that the more sensible play for QR is to reverse itself into IAG as a subsidiary, unless Qatar has similar rules about foreigners owning the majority of its airlines. As far as I can tell, it's only for public companies - QR is not one.

Such a manoeuvre would allow much closer tie-up between the group airlines, give some interesting operational efficiencies, and allow QR's state owners to cash out in full or in part. Their declared 2015-16 full year revenue of £7bn and profit of £600m would put them at some way under 49% of the value of IAG, especially taking into account IAG's huge cash reserve, though QR is not as highly geared, and holds some interesting other assets such as 10% of LATAM.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
How do you deal with you guests? Computer will say no, automatically, requires human intervention
Who said anything about being able to bring a guest?

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
.....80% of passengers would be happy to Flash And Go, rather than standing behind the person (actually, always a male) ....
Originally Posted by Worcester
..... I would miss the nice chat with the staff though.

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You typically only get a grunt at LHR lounge receptions
My experience is different: I find the lounge agents at LHR and indeed elsewhere generally friendly and welcoming.

Flash And Go, rather than standing behind the person (actually, always a male) arguing about the merits of their extended collection of cost centres being allowed access.
I have to admit I was thinking something similar - it doesn't sound too bad an idea to me, unlike a lot of the other recent changes.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by vibguy
I appreciate your comments, knowledge and interesting contributions but I am sorry to say that this reply is a kick in the butt of the mostly very friendly lounge agents or should I say friendly dragons. Replying that another airline is even worse is very cheap. Human interaction is very important for customer satisfaction. It leaves room for interactive communication and venting (if necessary).
Yes, I fully accept your last point but not your first. What we are talking about is where there are 3 Flounge entry staff, this would go down to one, who can indeed provide the things that machines cannot. From experience I do not accept that the Senator lounges are worse or "cheap" in any material sense (or indeed the very many other lounges with this system), indeed they are just about the only lounges in Europe which hold a candle to T5 as hugolover has pointed out. In the ideal world the money saved would then build a barista led coffee bar within Flounge, but that would be wishful thinking.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
BA could use mantrap doors. They weigh you on the way in, and then on the way out. If you've stuffed too many packets of crisps in your carry on, it sets off an alarm and everyone comes and stares at you until you deposit your extra items in a chute.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC - GOLD
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Leaked mock-up of T5 North Lounge entrance

LOL! That is the Arena/AJAX soccer stadium in Amsterdam, great post!!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

There's always a way to sneak into the lounge and circumvent the barriers shown upthread.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The target demographic is changing too. Younger travelers used to mobile technology, bar codes and the like, are not remotely troubled by the lack of interaction with others in most of their transactions.

OLCI, self-tagging of luggage, automated gates for boarding, passport gates on arrival. All of these used to require multiple workers. No longer.

For most that is a benefit. For the few who need assistance or where the technology fails (or they fail the technology), someone will help out.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One less human interaction is fine with me. Though it could take the "annoying tourists who can't touch an Oystercard on a reader in a timely fashion" rage to a whole new level.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I don't see the problem with a barrier that understands either ticket or FF card, alongside a human for exception handling. In particular if the barrier understood guesting and asked "admit following person as guest?" (or allowed the card holder to swipe twice for entry, so their guest goes first and they swipe again), and allowed one to swipe an FF card to handle the case of crediting one FF programme and using status in another, then only oddball exceptions would need the human.

So it would be like the Fast Track entrance (except smarter because the Fast Track entrance STILL doesn't understand OW status that isn't BAEC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.