Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Barriers coming to BA lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I don't see any issue with this. Just like the wailing and gnashing of teeth around self-tagging of bags, there will be staff available for those who need assistance, there will doubtlessly be logic built into the gates to prevent the same boarding card being passed backwards to circumvent guest limits, alarms if the gates are held open or forced open etc. etc. I think it's a positive step and will genuinely benefit the vast majority of lounge guests (luddites excepted of course)!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don't mind automatic barriers, as long as they can be programmed to understand the nuances of more complicated eligibility situations like connecting flights on separate bookings.

Of course if they have a manned desk as well that won't be such an issue.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
I don't mind automatic barriers, as long as they can be programmed to understand the nuances of more complicated eligibility situations like connecting flights on separate bookings.
If the staff can't be programmed to understand the nuances of more complicated eligibility situations, then I doubt the barriers can be, either!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: BA silver.
Originally Posted by ianfly
I hope it has a loud siren for those who are rejected. And an even louder more obnoxious fire drill type sound for any bronze members trying their luck haha
So if a bronze member DID try their luck and the gate flashed red and the NO ENTRY klaxon blared and it was necessary for said bronze member to mutter some plausible-sounding excuse to the GGL member tapping their foot behind them, what should that excuse be?

Asking for a friend.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
For my day to day usage this is much much preferable to me - the more automation and speed the better.

I wouldn't be able to charm the automated gate into allowing an extra guest into the lounge as I have been able to do in the past (including Last Friday at the flounge with my boyfriend and daughter) but that is a small price to pay for a better experience on most flights.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The staffed lounge desks take long enough as is to resolve issues. Reducing staff levels at the entrances won't make things faster when things go wrong, even for no fault of the passenger.

If this automation were not meant to facilitate a labor cost-cutting exercise, then that would be another story.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by RobDBA
For my day to day usage this is much much preferable to me - the more automation and speed the better.
Except you will have a queue of people at the barrier, each one trying to get the barcode reader to work, and failing.

Sort of like the automatic passport readers.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
As CWS has said, the Senator Lounges operate a similar setup.

At T2, a plain white card is given upon entry to the main Lufthansa Lounge, to those who are eligible. You then walk upto a pair of white frosted glass doors, tap the card, and the doors open.

It is actually quite a classy setup, and BA could implement something similar quite easily. It looks nice, it's easy, and the info is all held on a Boarding Pass - although a CCR card with a chip inside would be fun.

M
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As CWS has said, the Senator Lounges operate a similar setup.

At T2, a plain white card is given upon entry to the main Lufthansa Lounge, to those who are eligible. You then walk upto a pair of white frosted glass doors, tap the card, and the doors open.
So someone checks your eligibility then gives you a card to work the automatic gates?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
So someone checks your eligibility then gives you a card to work the automatic gates?
The Lounge Reception staff check your boarding pass, and then issue the Senator Lounge access card - or at least they did on the few occasions I flew on Lufty earlier this year.

Upon leaving the Senator Lounge, you drop the card into a chrome card-bin, and you then wander off to the gate.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Aug 22, 2016 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Quite a few soccer/football grounds have automatic barriers nowadays.
I guess Cruz will just buy some of the old ones when places like Sunderland and Arsenal re-furbish their grounds.
See earlier picture.
The ones at Wembley are not due for refurbishment yet.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The Lounge Reception staff check your boarding pass, and then issue the Senator Lounge access card - or at least they did on the few occasions I flew on Lufty earlier this year.

Upon leaving the Senator Lounge, you drop the card into a chrome card-bin, and you then wander off to the gate.

M
Actually,they now hand you a piece of paper with a barcode on it,which you then scan at the SEN lounge entrance. This was the case on the 16th of August.

And just to answer UKtravelbear's question. The SEN lounge is located inside the main Business lounge,so one has to walk all the way thru the business lounge to the SEN door. The receptionist's desks are located at the entrance to the main business lounge.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I wonder when a customer will finally be able to have the complete end to end unattended journey.

1. OLCI and self tag your bags at check in
2. Automatic security scan
3. Automated barriers for lounges
4. Automated barriers at boarding gates (a la Frankfurt)
5. Unmanned flight
6. Automatic passport gates

I suppose whilst in principle it's possible there will always be a need to staff attendants, for safety on the planes and in case things go wrong elsewhere.
Not forgetting automatic train to gate.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Actually,they now hand you a piece of paper with a barcode on it,which you then scan at the SEN lounge entrance. This was the case on the 16th of August.

And just to answer UKtravelbear's question. The SEN lounge is located inside the main Business lounge,so one has to walk all the way thru the business lounge to the SEN door. The receptionist's desks are located at the entrance to the main business lounge.
Paper is cheaper than those cards, something they must have realized as the stock of functional cards diminished.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi

Ah fair enough - makes more sense, albeit it's less classy.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.